starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't feel hamstrings working during squat..

Default Don't feel hamstrings working during squat..

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't feel anything in my hamstrings when I squat, and they never get sore from squatting. My quads, glutes and adductors get sore, but never my hamstrings. They do get sore from deadlifting, and I tried sumo deadlifts once and they were sore for days afterward.

I recently met an experienced powerlifter who competes in the USAPL and asked him to look at my squat form. He said SS was a great book to learn the lifts and other than telling me to walk the weight out more carefully and switch to a thumbs-around grip, he thought my squat form was perfect. He specifically pointed out several things also said in the book: I wasn't rounding my back at the bottom, I was pushing my knees out, my knees weren't sliding forward, etc. However, this was during my recovery day (I'm doing the Texas Method) and I was only using 270 lbs; it's a lot easier to have good form with light weight

Is this anything I should be concerned about, or do some people's hamstrings just not contribute as much to the movement? I know my hamstrings have gotten much stronger since I started training because I can do many reps of glute-ham raises and I doubt I'd have been able to do 1 when I started lifting. I have noticed that when I bring my stance out wider than shoulder width I feel my hamstrings a bit during the squat, but I have to get pretty wide to do this and it makes my knees and adductors hurt.

If it matters, I recently hit 405 lbs for a single in the squat and my max deadlift so far has been 475.

you squat and dead more than me and i havent felt them also. i dont even remember having doms on my ass and hams.

as far as i know you cant squat without using your hams so dont worry about it.

Doms =/= progress. progress = progress.

so your using your thumbs to hold the weight now?

I'm at the exact same squat and deadlift numbers as you. I don't think you should worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerpal View Post
    However, this was during my recovery day (I'm doing the Texas Method) and I was only using 270 lbs; it's a lot easier to have good form with light weight
    I hate you young smartasses.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    so your using your thumbs to hold the weight now?
    I tried the thumbs-around grip and didn't like it. It makes my wrists bend back and causes pain. The guy said it would help me pull down on the bar and keep my upper back tighter, but I feel I can still pull down on the bar just as hard with a thumbless grip.

Give up lifting for a week, then go squat.

You will feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerpal View Post
    I tried the thumbs-around grip and didn't like it. It makes my wrists bend back and causes pain. The guy said it would help me pull down on the bar and keep my upper back tighter, but I feel I can still pull down on the bar just as hard with a thumbless grip.
    I think its a useful cue for high bar squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Give up lifting for a week, then go squat.

You will feel it.
    Nope. I just came back from 2 weeks off and only my glutes, quads and adductors got sore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast