starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bicep pain when i bench.

Default bicep pain when i bench.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    just curious if anyone else experienced bicep pain when they do bench. it only hurts when i bring the bar down but its enough of a shock to make me struggle with weights. i also dont do much bicep isolation movements(2sets a week of easy curls) either so i dont really think im overtraining.

Where exactly does it hurt? The bicep tendon runs through the shoulder. The two muscles are very much connected. Tendonitis/tears can occur if the muscle is relatively weak.

Yep, more specifics could help. The bicep tendon is providing part of the stretch reflex at the bottom of a the lift. Pain from this, especially DOM's, is pretty normal. The angle of your upper arm, relative to your torso, can be important here. If you are closer to 90 degrees you are putting more stress there. You might want to have someone check your form. If the angle is high like that, you might improve the situation by moving closer to a 45 degree angle.

If you are getting immediate pain (not just from residual doms and not enough recovery) then you might consider tendinitis as a cause. But, you might not be there yet.

Also to add, are you doing any shoulder mobility work/rotator cuff exercises?

the pain is near the lower tendon connected to the forearm. its right in the middle of the muscle. and never hurts with biceps curls or pullups. my arms are at a 90 degree angle. i thought about trying to switch up my grip and move in an inch or too to see what that felt like.

i do a few stretches for my rotator cuff, enough to loosen up. although flexability can always be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by kares22 View Post
    the pain is near the lower tendon connected to the forearm. its right in the middle of the muscle. and never hurts with biceps curls or pullups. my arms are at a 90 degree angle. i thought about trying to switch up my grip and move in an inch or too to see what that felt like.

i do a few stretches for my rotator cuff, enough to loosen up. although flexability can always be approved.
    So looks like it's the distal bicep tendon not the proximal bicep tendon. I tore that same one and it still bothers me when benching from time to time. If there are any ways to take pressure off of it, I'd absolutely like to know too.

definitely should be closer to 45 than 90. and yeah, moving your grip in a little should help.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    definitely should be closer to 45 than 90. and yeah, moving your grip in a little should help.
    Yeah you know it's funny, push ups aggravate my bicep tendon, but heavy close grip benching doesn't. Definitely makes sense.

I had EXACTLY the same thing with my right elbow several months ago (before a layoff) and again a couple weeks ago. Interestingly, this pain occurred when I reached a particular weight with the bench press. It eventually started to affect all pressing movements, and even spilled over to every day activities (like pushing a door open).

It feels like it just "gives out" when the bar is a couple inches from your chest, yes? Not that you can't bear the pain, but like a nerve just hiccups for a moment.

What worked for me was to bring the bar closer to my stomach, tuck my elbows during the bench, and try to bend the bar with my hands. My bench strength improved, and the pain vanished. Others may argue against this form, but it was a miracle cure for this peculiar pain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    It feels like it just "gives out" when the bar is a couple inches from your chest, yes? Not that you can't bear the pain, but like a nerve just hiccups for a moment.

What worked for me was to bring the bar closer to my stomach, tuck my elbows during the bench, and try to bend the bar with my hands. My bench strength improved, and the pain vanished. Others may argue against this form, but it was a miracle cure for this peculiar pain.
    thats exactly what it feels like. not enough to make me drop the weights but enough to make me "hiccup". i bench the way dave tate teaches. he teaches the same way in his "So You Thing You Can Bench" videos. im gonna try next week to really focus on bringing my hands back in. i normally start with my index finger on the notch, but im gonna put my ring fingers on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast