starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neutral grip pull ups

Default neutral grip pull ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey coach
    Could you shed some light on semi supinated pull ups ? what is the difference as to the muscles involved ? they are easier so i guess they work more muscles.
    Thanks.

They are probably easier because you are using a shorter ROM. Supination of the forearm requires the biceps, pronation does not. So chins (supine) uses biceps while pullups (prone) does not.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a semi supinated pull up? I get the difference between supinated and pronated but not the semi bit in this instance. Cheers.

Neutral, or hammer grip. Is what he means.

gotcha, thanks!

The neutral grip provides a mechanical advantage over the other two positions which should make pull-ups easier for most people in that position, especially with a narrower grip. Don't think that disagrees with anything Rip says about the benefits of chins over pull-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They are probably easier because you are using a shorter ROM. Supination of the forearm requires the biceps, pronation does not. So chins (supine) uses biceps while pullups (prone) does not.
    At the gym I go to the neutral grips are closer than the standard chin up/pull up grip like in this picture:
    http://neolacommcenter.com/yahoo_sit....312113907.jpg

So in that situation the ROM is longer for the neutral grip, but I still find them easier to do than standard chin ups. That just may be me though.

Hey Coach,

Speaking of alternate grip pull-ups do you think there's any good reason for doing pull-ups/chins on rings such that you so that you start like a pull-up but end like a chin-up? I feel like it's just easier to concentrate and load on chin-ups, but I recently read an article on t-nation with somebody saying that the rotating pull-up was better for your joints. Do you have a take on that, or have you ever tried these out?

Quote Originally Posted by gape View Post

So in that situation the ROM is longer for the neutral grip,
    I don't see an obvious explanation for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    do you think there's any good reason for doing pull-ups/chins on rings such that you so that you start like a pull-up but end like a chin-up? I feel like it's just easier to concentrate and load on chin-ups, but I recently read an article on t-nation with somebody saying that the rotating pull-up was better for your joints. Do you have a take on that, or have you ever tried these out?
    I have tried them, and I see no advantage to the instability. I have always considered that joints should adapt within their ability to do so as a part of the exercise.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-12-2011 at 01:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    The neutral grip provides a mechanical advantage over the other two positions
    Does this mean that they are more efficient ?

I have no proof/reasoning but we always seek advantageous mechanics in the main lifts (bar close to the legs for the deadlift , for instance)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast