PDA

View Full Version : Countries that are actually financially sound?

Chewie_jrc
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
I was having this discussion with some friends family. What do you think would be the best place to move to in the event of the impending US economic meltdown? I have less and less faith that our government will come to any sort of rational solution since its seems they only want to
1.) Print more fiat currency
2.) Assume more debt

I've read this book before and dont want to be caught with my pants down when we start burning U$S to keep warm at night.

Chewie_jrc
08-11-2011, 02:22 PM
My plan? Well, the EU isn't looking so much hotter right now...I figured maybe Canada or Australia?

Other plan is to liquidate everything I own, and move to a third world country where I can make my money stretch.

Discuss....

ColoWayno
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Maybe by then it'll be Texas or Alaska.

Vic
08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I've cast my lot with this country, for better or for worse. I'll see it through.

Don't mistake that for approval of the government or of the path we have been on for a LONG time. Instead, it is just my decision not to run away to some mythical grass-is-greener locale when I could stay here and do my part.

I'm not trying to influence your decision.

bowdirk
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
New Zealand has always sounded cool.

Plus, they have Hobbits and Elves and Ents and stuff, how cool is that?

DV
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Latin America has done reasonably well during the crisis. But in the end, if the US is fucked then we all are - even China.

ColoWayno
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
New Zealand has always sounded cool.

Plus, they have Hobbits and Elves and Ents and stuff, how cool is that?

No. Congress has Hobbits, silly bowdirk.

Draft
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
My plan? Well, the EU isn't looking so much hotter right now...I figured maybe Canada or Australia?

Other plan is to liquidate everything I own, and move to a third world country where I can make my money stretch.

Discuss....Just sit tight. The US will be a third world country before you know it, and there will be plenty of jobs making lawn chairs, ashtrays and Happy Meal toys for the Chinese.

Mike C
08-11-2011, 03:13 PM
buy gasoline and bullets...and prepare for the apocalypse.

ColoWayno
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Better yet, get a diesel vehicle and buy diesel. More versitile. Runs on veggie oil if you need it to.

Dastardly
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Better yet, get a diesel vehicle and buy diesel. More versitile. Runs on veggie oil if you need it to.

Veggie oil is actually pretty scarce. Veggie oil sources like Rapeseed actually cost much more to grow than it can be sold for. Farmers depend on goverment subsidies to grow it. So perhaps not a good option.

ColoWayno
08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Veggie oil is actually pretty scarce. Veggie oil sources like Rapeseed actually cost much more to grow than it can be sold for. Farmers depend on goverment subsidies to grow it. So perhaps not a good option.

Still, diesel is cheaper (per mile) and versitile is versitile.

yorick
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking diesel might have a longer shelf life. I'm not sure though.

bowdirk
08-11-2011, 05:37 PM
No. Congress has Hobbits, silly bowdirk.

Ah yes, the TeaHobbits!

hsilman
08-11-2011, 05:37 PM
is it bad that as soon as I read the words "fiat currency" on the internet, I assume whoever wrote it has only an elementary knowledge of economics at best, and most likely knows nothing more than the little they remember from HS econ classes?

This isn't an insult to the OP or anything, I'm just saying it's my general observation.

Callador
08-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Well guys, I have a 1984 VW Rabbit that is diesel if you guys are interested! It gets 52mpg on the highway and like 48 city/hwy combined. It also have 52 horsepower, if you are into the racing scene. :-) It runs on all sorts of stuff... Veggie Oil, Kerosene, Jet -A (and all the other types B etc), Fuel Oil, and even up to 30% regular 87 octane gas. It is almost as versatile as a PT-6, and that thing WILL run on anything!

It has plenty of room for one, if I can drive it (6'5", 350lbs). It is a 4 speed manual and has lots of new stuff on it. You will feel like Mad Max driving this thing in the Apocalypse, and if you can run one little 18 wheeler off the road, you will have gas for months!!!

Caje
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Latin America has done reasonably well during the crisis. But in the end, if the US is fucked then we all are - even China.

Pretty much. If the US goes Belly-up the rest of the world isn't going to do be doing much better.

Justin Jordan
08-11-2011, 08:30 PM
most likely knows nothing more than the little they remember from HS econ classes?

Not even that. The term fiat currency used by anyone who isn't an economist almost certainly means they're either a libertarian of read a lot of libertarian stuff.

Oldster
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Uh, hasn't everyone? heh.

artwebb
08-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Well guys, I have a 1984 VW Rabbit that is diesel if you guys are interested! It gets 52mpg on the highway and like 48 city/hwy combined. It also have 52 horsepower, if you are into the racing scene. :-) It runs on all sorts of stuff... Veggie Oil, Kerosene, Jet -A (and all the other types B etc), Fuel Oil, and even up to 30% regular 87 octane gas. It is almost as versatile as a PT-6, and that thing WILL run on anything!

It has plenty of room for one, if I can drive it (6'5", 350lbs). It is a 4 speed manual and has lots of new stuff on it. You will feel like Mad Max driving this thing in the Apocalypse, and if you can run one little 18 wheeler off the road, you will have gas for months!!!

Oooh Oooh gotta have it! How much? oh shit, you're in fucking Sheboygan, never mind. *throws wallet on floor*
Oh, BTW, from all I've heard, the swiss have the most stable currency, so....

DutchPancakes
08-12-2011, 03:20 AM
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=20684&page=1 - General survivalism stuff SS style.

The Yen is also doing well, and Japan is an awesome country no matter what the say about lost decades and so on, but I suspect the awesomeness only applies if you are Japanese.

Australia is a strange country, and if the Chinese ever decide to stop buying such enormous amounts of raw materials, the country is fucked. The Aussie dollar being strong is hurting them too.

New Zealand is weird.

Hong Kong is cool.

Valhall
08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Norway is more wealthy than ever.

DV
08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Norway is more wealthy than ever.

Actually, that's a pretty good bet, if you take away the psychotic mass-murderer and all.

Chewie_jrc
08-12-2011, 04:27 PM
New Zealand is weird in what sense? (never been)

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=20684&page=1 - General survivalism stuff SS style.

The Yen is also doing well, and Japan is an awesome country no matter what the say about lost decades and so on, but I suspect the awesomeness only applies if you are Japanese.

Australia is a strange country, and if the Chinese ever decide to stop buying such enormous amounts of raw materials, the country is fucked. The Aussie dollar being strong is hurting them too.

New Zealand is weird.

Hong Kong is cool.

ColoWayno
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
is it bad that as soon as I read the words "fiat currency" on the internet, I assume whoever wrote it has only an elementary knowledge of economics at best, and most likely knows nothing more than the little they remember from HS econ classes?

This isn't an insult to the OP or anything, I'm just saying it's my general observation.

Is this because pretty much all currency is "fiat currency"? Sorry, I am dumb.

bowdirk
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM

I would stay the hell away from Japan.

Between Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Fukishima, it is only a matter of time before Godzilla and/or Ninja Turtles appear as foretold.

forgeforth
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Due to our banking laws, Canada withstood a lot of the backlash following the 2008 crisis. Our dollar is strong and employment is moving in the right direction. The US and EU are both experiencing significant problems. I've always relied on the US bouncing back due to the size of the market, but the disparity in wealth and level of debt, not to mention its kind-heartedness in spreading democracy through war and occupation, may lead to different outcomes this time around.

I'm heavily invested in gold, anyway, so burn, baby, burn.

Chewie_jrc
08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Is this because pretty much all currency is "fiat currency"? Sorry, I am dumb.

Im curious as well. Guess it makes the term somewhat redundant?

Sent from mobile device.

artwebb
08-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Actually, that's a pretty good bet, if you take away the psychotic mass-murderer and all.

One psycho mass murderer? Shit, we get more than that a year in the US. No Fear.

tertius
08-13-2011, 01:49 AM
One psycho mass murderer? Shit, we get more than that a year in the US. No Fear.

We get more murder than that in one year in some cities.