PDA

View Full Version : Help! Enlarged femoral artery

Timojin
06-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Help! Enlarged femoral artery.
Stats: 60 year old male
6í 185
Started weight training 4 years ago - machines then free weights 18 months ago. Free weights were a powerlifting routine with very heavy weights (for me) 1-3 reps one or two days per week for 1 year. My house caught fire so I didnít work out for 6 months prior to starting SS. I wasted a lot of time with this program just because I didnít know any better.

Started SS 4 weeks ago
Squat start: 105x5x3 now: 180x5x3
Press start: 85x5x3 now: 105x5x3
Bench start: 95x5x3 now: 145x5x3
Deadlift start: 115x5x3 now: 235x5x3
I am very motivated and conscientious about doing the SS novice program.
I havenít missed a session (3x week) or rep until now.
I got nauseous for a day then was still sick for my next scheduled session so I postponed my workout for the following day.
The next squat session was extremely difficult but I completed my scheduled progression. My back was very tired and sore.
The BP was difficult but I didnít miss a rep.
My back was so sore I decided not to deadlift. A tough decision as I wanted to do SS as closely as possible. I knew it would be counterproductive to deadlift because the chance of injury was high.
30 minutes after the session my inner thigh became tender. My femoral artery was noticeably visible.
About 5 inches was clearly enlarged.
At first I thought that my legs were just becoming more vascular as I have no fat on my legs and I noticed that the arteries on my thighs became visible after about a year of weight training. I am hoping that the sudden appearance of the femoral artery is just a manifestation of the training effect.
There is no bubble on the artery. It is consistent for the whole length.
18 hours later the artery is less visible but still a little tender.
30 years ago I would not have been concerned about something like this.
At 60 Iíve learned to put brains before balls.
An injury could retard my progress.
I have noted that some novices are surprised at things that happen to the vascular system when lifting heavy weights.
Any advice, thoughts, observations or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
ďIím a little bit older and a lot less bolder than I used to beĒ Bob Seger

ColoWayno
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
What did the doctor say?

Timojin
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Doctor?

I'm hoping it won't get that far.

rumblefish
06-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I thought this might be a thread about bad pickup lines.

Timojin
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm hoping that anybody who has had anything remotely similar to this might share their experience.

Timojin
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I thought this might be a thread about bad pickup lines.

That never occurred to me.
I'll post it on Craigslist and let you know what happens.

Timojin
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
What did the doctor say?
I didn't mean to sound flippant.
The next logical step is to see a doctor of course if it persists.

rumblefish
06-29-2012, 04:32 PM
At you on vasodialotors?

Timojin
06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
At you on vasodialotors?
No

rumblefish
06-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Was it your actual artery that was sore to the touch or your adductor?

Timojin
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
It's hard to tell.
I can run my finger down the artery from groin to knee and feel no pain.
As the artery disappears it is a little swollen.
You may be on to something regarding the muscle.
Maybe it is a coincidence that I happen to notice the artery.
Those inner thigh muscles always hurt when I began squatting (incorrectly) about a year ago.
Since I started SS I haven't had any pain in those muscles.

Timojin
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
I Googled adductor.
It appears to be the adductor magnus.
I am starting to feel a lot better about this.
It may be that the swelling of the muscle caused the femoral artery to bulge out a little making it appear larger.

rumblefish
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
The adductors will get sore with a SS squat. I don't think that an artery increasing in size during, and immediately after, using the majority of the skeletal muscles in your body for heavy squats is to be unexpected. After all it's the job of the artery to provide oxygenated blood to the muscles and following an intense lift there would be a large demand for that. Other than sore inner thighs and visibly enlarged artery, did you have any symptoms? Because to me everything you have describe so far is to be expected from squatting. Keep in mind I'm no dr.

Timojin
06-29-2012, 05:25 PM
The adductors will get sore with a SS squat. I don't think that an artery increasing in size during, and immediately after, using the majority of the skeletal muscles in your body for heave squats is to be unexpected. After all it's the job of the artery to provide oxygenated blood to the muscles and following an intense lift there would be a large demand for that. Other than sore inner thighs and visibly enlarged artery, did you have any symptoms? Because to me everything you have describe so far is to be expected from squatting. Keep in mind I'm no dr.
I felt no pain during or immediately following the squats. I think I only noticed the artery because I felt a little sore at my inner thigh and saw some swelling. I just didn't think it was the muscle because the area was so small. Before I did SS both inner thigh muscles would hurt half way down the leg.
I think there is a very good chance that you are right.
I just got scared shitless when I Googled "enlarged femoral artery" and the responses were herniate femoral artery.
I am so grateful for your advice. Thank You.