starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In your experience, should upper back get sore after deadlifting?

Default In your experience, should upper back get sore after deadlifting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Soreness is caused by the eccentric contraction, and there should be none of that in the deadlift with the upper back, right? It should be all isometric.

My upper back and traps are sore today, but I think I nailed my deadlifts yesterday. Could you please take a look?

1st and final work set. 3rd and final exercise of the workout.

Last edited by Dearayne; 07-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.

You can get soreness without eccentric contraction. Especially if you did something differently than you normally do.

And for the record I also get a sore upper back from deadlifts.

Hmm, okay. Even from isometric contraction?

Yep. This is not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearayne View Post
    Yep. First time I did a "heavy"(at the time) deadlift, the next day it felt like some bird had plucked my upper spine out of my body and put it back. Just muscle soreness, no biggie.

I couldn't tell you if its deadlifting that gets my traps sore or not because I always do a bench or a press whenever I deadlift and I know for a fact that benching(for some scapular retraction, my traps are always sore after benching, maybe I just have that great of form) and even more so pressing (because I know how to throw my hips back to get under and shrug at the top like a good little boy) gets my traps very sore.

My traps almost always get sore from heavy deads or other heavy pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearayne View Post
    There are men who have pulled over 400kg from the floor, and women who've pulled over 250kg. Take a newbie male lifter, tie him up and hang 200kg from one hand, you will dislocate his shoulder (you should only do this if he chooses to half-squat with the pad on the bar). Why don't big deadlifters' shoulders pop out? Because all the muscles of their upper back work to keep it all together. That's more than 400kg of isometric contraction.

I only get sore upper back from heavy singles, nothing else. It feels muscular only.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Dearayne,

I have seen you post a few form videos..you always seem to be working real hard and taking this really seriously. I hope outside the gym you are eating too match this.
    Good-on-ya, you are doing what I now wish I had done when I was younger.
    Stick with this, and in a year or 2 you will be amazed at what you achieve.
    In ten years when you hit your late twenties you'll be a beast, lol...and the only thing hampering your training will be the (easily lead) honeys hanging from your guns...
    And unlike gym broz, you'll actually be able to lift some big weight, keep it up dude!
    Just remember - you always gotta be challenging yourself..always think..."I need to lift more"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast