PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest fucking stomach bug ever

devnull
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Long story long (or skip to the last paragraph)

I came back from vacation on the 7th. I picked up a stomach bug that started as a sinus infection and sore throat. I mean, my throat felt like it had a big ass open sore.

Fast forward a few days of feeling like shit and then the stomach portion hit me. No diarrhea nor vomiting, but every time I moved an intense pain from hell. If I was sitting and got up, about 12 seconds after getting up it would hit me in the middle of my belly.

Then my gut started to swell a little. I had gas way up in my intestines that did not want to come out. I just realized that I havenít had a good movement in a while. Started taking Exlax but It didnít do shit for me ;)

And this is where things got weird. Saturday I woke up with a mild discomfort on my right femur-hip joint. By mid day it turned into a full blown messed up hip that I could not put any weight on it. By Sunday morning the pain was gone, and the knee started acting up.

This is what finally prompts me to see the doctor. This fucking virus was taking a joyride throughout my body and I didnít want to wait and see where it would end up next. The kneeÖ Oh the fucking knee! On a pain scale of 1 through 10, it was up to the level where if it hurt just a hair more I would had ended up puking all over the place. Sunday, it was painful as hell. Monday, it got worse. It would take me about 3 minutes to flex the knee, and another 3 to bend it. 6 minutes of pain just to sit down or get up a chair. Plus my affected knee was very hot to the touch.

So to wrap this up. Doctor said that it is just a stomach bug and that it is most likely viral in origin so all I can do is wait it out. The knee was acute tendonitis from overuse, which doesnít make sense to me but thatís what he said. He gave me anti inflammatory and a laxative.

Fortunately today the knee pain is down to a mild discomfort (unreal how it can go from that painful to almost nothing overnight) and the stomach pain is almost gone. I havenít had a good vowel movement yet but Iím hopping thatís next.

If anybody got to read this far (or skipped to the last paragraph) how the fuck does a fucking virus gets to target specific joints like that! I had the flu before, I have felt all of my joints with some degree of stiffness and pain, but this was two specific joints and a pain level on the far end of the scale.

PressesPeople
08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Just don't be surprised when Alien pops out of your asshole.

devnull
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
You know what's really funny? Around Sunday that was actually a concern of mine.

bowdirk
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
You are in Japan

With the nuke radiation over there maybe there is a godzilla growing inside you...

Simma Park
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Sounds more like a reaction to something in the food. Possibly food allergy/intolerance. Maybe some kind of toxin/food poisoning?

Did you eat anything novel on your vacation?

droidicus
08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Where did you go on vacation? Was it somewhere in the tropics?

Simma Park
08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Where did you go on vacation? Was it somewhere in the tropics?

Also relevant.

ecj
08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Fortunately today the knee pain is down to a mild discomfort (unreal how it can go from that painful to almost nothing overnight) and the stomach pain is almost gone. I haven’t had a good vowel movement yet but I’m hopping that’s next.

There's a joke here somewhere...

devnull
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I hopped all over the place during my vacation, including Puerto Rico where I’m originally from. Still it wasn't food poisoning. It doesn’t take this long to explode nor it lasts this long without killing you. After PR I spent a week in Maryland (I’m used to the food and water there) before the looooong trip back to Japan. Chances are I picked whatever it was on the road.

I still blaming Fucking New York city and their sewer-like air quality for trying to kill me...

droidicus
08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I hopped all over the place during my vacation, including Puerto Rico where I’m originally from. Still it wasn't food poisoning. It doesn’t take this long to explode nor it lasts this long without killing you. After PR I spent a week in Maryland (I’m used to the food and water there) before the looooong trip back to Japan. Chances are I picked whatever it was on the road.

I still blaming Fucking New York city and their sewer-like air quality for trying to kill me...

Puerto Rico is a tropical location, so you need to be concerned about tropical diseases. I would go to an infectious disease clinic to get checked out, your normal family doctor may not have enough experience with things like Dengue or Malaria to be able to recognize them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_disease

devnull
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm painfully aware of what dengue feels like. Shit, having been born and raised there I'm painfully aware of a lot of the nasty stuff that can play full contact racket ball with your intestines. Nothing I ever got there felt like this.

Doing better now. Can't wait to do a systems check with a squat session but right now, I'm playing it safe.

Simma Park
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Still it wasn't food poisoning. It doesnít take this long to explode nor it lasts this long without killing you.

Some foodborne pathogens can take like 2 weeks to produce symptoms. And some of them trigger reactive arthritis.

brettd
08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
You sure it couldn't be chrons or colitis? Sounds like a blockage. Both diseases cancause joint inflammation. Blockages are mostly chrons i think. Although your travel does make virus or poisoning more likely

devnull
08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Blockage came to mind. The joints swelling didn't seem to fit that picture.

Sunday my knee was killing me. Monday My knee attempted to rape my nervous system to see if it could make me puke. Yes it was that fucking painful. Tuesday it felt better in the morning, by mid afternoon I celebrated by chasing and kicking my daughter. You don't realize how much fun is to kick somebody until you can't do it.

This morning (Wednesday) I carefully did 3 sets of 5 squats at 315#. I still feel that the tendon is a bit tender and warm to the touch, but if this ain't progress I don't know that that is.

My uneducated guess (which I think is better than the doctor's acute tendonitis diagnosis and 2 weeks worth of antiinflamatories) is that this is one of those viruses where, the stronger your inmune system is, the harder it hits you. Both the wife and daughter had similar but milder symthopms, and I'm the one that usually never get sick (besides sinus problems because of constricted ducts).

Still feeling weaker than usual. Looking forward to a Friday session to see how I'm recovering.