starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Clarification

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wonderful and much needed article. I love the fact that Rip's hypothetical novice lifter describes my experience to a tee.

I have a feeling that for every skinny, too-afraid-to-get-fat, not-doing-the-program novice lifter out there, there's also a chubby, over-20% body-fat-and-climbing, just-looking-for-an-excuse-to stuff-your-face novice lifter out there.

Unless you've added an ungodly amount of weight to the bar, if you find yourself in either category, here is your wake up call.

Um, duh, I think I've been almost all of those guys.

That is real good article Rip, I will make sure that those I train read it. Shit, I'm going to make sure everyone I talk to reads it so they know why the fuck I've done what I've done.

Last year at this time I weighed 165 lbs and could not squat my body weight for five reps. On tuesday I weighed in at 215 and squatted 140kg 5x5 for my first volume day of the TM, after doing 100 straight burpees for being late on a work assignment. Any fluffiness is being handled through using common sense eating habits and some sled pulls/prowler pushes.

I could have made more progress and faster progress had I strictly stuck with the program from the onset, but all in all squatting 155kg for my last 3x5 was pretty sweet.
    Last edited by LaHabra; 05-07-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: basic grammar errors

Loved it. I was going to do a blog post this weekend about posts from people that say they are doing SS but it is obvious from their post/questions they aren't, or haven't even bothered to read the book.

Thanks Rip. A useful article, especially for some much needed "benchmarks" on progression.

Well done. We've made this required reading for the class.

Maybe you already thought of this, but I think this would be a great addition to a 3rd edition SS as a supplemental chapter or subsection.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Perfect.
    Seriously. Basically mirrored my progress. I went from 150-200 in about 3.5/4 months GOMAD. the past few months I've been doing a bit less than half gallon of milk, cleaned up the carbs (used carb curfew I learned from John's Q&A). I'm still 200lbs, but my bf has decreased and strength has gone up.

I'm glad I read this article and paid attention.

My mother, a nutritionist and aerobics instructor balked when I told her I started eating 4500 calories per day PLUS one gallon of whole milk on top of it. And don't get me wrong, it was HARD for ME to wrap my head around that.

But I told her this... I said "This will NOT give a healthy, active individual a heart attack. This will not make a healthy, active individual obese. Even a guy like me who was sedentary 4 months ago and who just quit smoking at the beginning of the year. This will help me avoid injury. This will help me fulfill my genetic potential. This will, in the short term, help me get to 'where I'm supposed to be.' And what is more healthy than that?"

And we both agreed. I admit, I had issues with it until I vocalized it. I had doubts... But I'm not sore this morning. I just finished up ALL my Friday work, here at the office EARLY. I have a shit-load of energy, and I'm going to lift this afternoon. And whilst lifting, I will add more weight on the bar. And when I'm done I won't feel dead, I'll feel good, energized and happy, just like last time. And I will not beat myself up for not having a physique like what Men's Health says I should, because not long from now, maybe two, or three years, I'll be grinding up the bones of those skinny, nancy-boy fitness models to make my bread.

starting strength coach development program
    Lets hope teaching pigs to read and comprehend isn't in the same category as to sing......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast