starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Clarification

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd say this should be a postscript in a third edition of SS, but most of the guys to whom YNDTP applies haven't read the book anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iskandar View Post
    First time poster but long time lurker here.

Good article. It should be a reference point to some true novice.

But, in a way it's kind of sad that all of these need to be explained to such details.

What happened to the old "just get under the bar" adage?
    We have been told different so many times by people who were supposed to know about it than we do.
    Now this Rippetoe tells something completely different its not weird we question wether this is the same bullshit we have been told.
    Despite logic etc...

If you think YNDTP, just ask yourself, WWRD?

Most of the whiners say they have done the program but have not even bought the books...

Thumbs up

Default Coach Rip you deserve a Nobel Prize... REALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by iskandar View Post
    First time poster but long time lurker here.

Good article. It should be a reference point to some true novice.

But, in a way it's kind of sad that all of these need to be explained to such details.

What happened to the old "just get under the bar" adage?
    Better you Sir, than some phony bleeding-heart, chicken-necked, milquetoast, demagogue, that's for sure, indeed!

Isk, I don't mean to be contentious but I DO believe things need to be explained to such details.

The old "just get under the bar" adage was what kept me from true enlightenment for years.

It started with me as a skinnier kid than I'm now, so confounded with actual strength training that I diverted my energies over to the gimmicks before any solid foundation. Distractions of mine in the form of such things like serious gripper training at a body weight of 150 soaking wet; ala IronMind Enterprises. Can't say Dr. Strossen did too much for me there...

Super Squats (R), was a joke! The advice was solid but way too hyperbolic and allegorical for me; but a wispy breath of a boy, then...

Ohh well, thanks for the clarification Coach.

"If you do the program as written, and you are a novice male between the ages of 18 and 35..."

I know there are sections in most of the books on populations outside this one, but I really think most of them deserve more and could probably sustain a book devoted to them (so, 1. women in the same age group, 2. children and early teens, and 3. Logan's Run survivors). As a mid-40's male reader, I'd love to read some examples of training trends with increasing age and recommendations (1/2 GOMAD? Just watch your waist?) all gathered into one solid narrative structure, put together by (or at least supervised in the putting together by) Mr. Rippetoe (as opposed to chasing it all over the boards and having to sift through a lot of loud, and variously informed opinion to find the good stuff). I'd love to be able to give book 2 to my niece and nephew and I imagine my sister and wife would be interested in 1 -- while my mom could likely benefit from more focus on the truly elderly in 3. Dude, you could take care of my entire Christmas list this year! Then, once they're hooked, there's the whole back-list of books to choose from for the next several birthdays and holidays... Now, if you also sold/recommended equipment and clothing...

The link on the resources page doesn't take you to the pdf, I had to get it from the link in this thread.

"Okay kids, it has come to my attention that quite a few of you are not doing the program and then bitching about the results of The Program"

As Patrick said, you can't do the thing if you've not got the book. This is the bad side of the internet fame. Most of the insults and the praise come from people who've not got the whole story, because reading is hard, man.

You have to take the good with the bad, unfortunately.

Good article, though, lays things out nice and clearly. As the book does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    The link on the resources page doesn't take you to the pdf, I had to get it from the link in this thread.
    Sure it does.

I like the article and think it was really time for something like that. GOMAD is all over the place and also took me from 17% BF to 23%. Another diet approach would 've been more appropriate.

Anyway another question regarding the body fat ratio decrease doing the program. For a decrease of a 80kg BW guy with 20% BF to 19% he needs to add 4.85 kg of LBM while only gaining 0.15 kg fat adding up to a new BW of 85 kg. Is something like that doable with the correct food choice?

starting strength coach development program
    -
    Last edited by WaWa Bird; 10-27-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast