starting strength gym

Thread: Experiences in the Iron Life | Jim Steel

Default Experiences in the Iron Life | Jim Steel

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Jim Steel

Man, I have been lifting weights for 30 years. Thirty years! ... I have been around so many gyms and so many great lifters. I have so many stories and anecdotes that I have saved over the years, and I want to share them. Since training with weights has been a part of my life for so long, I figured that I would share some stories of interesting folks and some interesting experiences. You may learn something from them, you may not. For me, these stories were unforgettable and helped forge my philosophy of weight training and life.

Article Post

Resources Page

This was an incredible read. I love hearing stories about serious training and the people that were involved in it. Thank you for sharing this with us. Stories like this are another tool in the motivational tool kit. Awesome!

Chris had some psych-up techniques that were really off the wall. One of these involved finding
    someone in the gym and secretly getting pissed off at them for no reason.
    Oh man, I love this part. I do this all the time, and fortunately it's very easy to do at my gym. "I hate that guy doing quarter squats in the Smith machine! He thinks he can squat better than me! GRAAAR!" Then I get under the bar and fuck shit up. Works every time.

Thumbs up Good article...

I dig these historical experiences and memories, especially any that include experiences with K. Karwoski. Get this guy and Bill Starr together for a video-based historical roundtable discussion.

Phenomenal article.

Thanks Jim.

Definitely a good 'un there. I totally understand what he is talking about when he writes of training alone. That's MY time. Nothing else matters in life when I'm in the gym, under the bar. It's extremely therapeutic; more so than any drug on the market. I love training and I look forward to the day when I'll have my own stories to share. Great article!

Guys, thanks for the compliments. It is so fun training and looking back. Some stuff is just too wild to write about! Have to save it for a book...And thanks Rip and Stef for letting me share. Jim

starting strength coach development program
    I know.. I know.. This is old.
    But I have this problem. "He had a grip weakness - Kirk has small hands for such a thick guy."
    Well........ I'm not thick, but I do have small hands and a grip problem because of it. I can't pull more than 330 without wraps and I hate it because 380 flies off the floor with them.
    My question, because I just can't seem to visualize it. What in the world is a grip shrug and how do I do one? My old friend google doesn't seem to be helping much on this one.