starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Training or Exercise?

Default Is It Training or Exercise?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There seems to be more interest these days in actually rethinking the military’s PT paradigm. Here’s an article for those of you specifically interested in this topic by our buddy Maj. Ryan Whittemore.

At present, passing the APFT and meeting body composition standards is either left up to the individual Soldier to do in any way the Soldier wants to do it, or the Soldier is forced to conduct a PT program designed by his immediate supervisors. In either case, the wrong people are doing the program design. This is where the Army shortchanges PT, and for some reason does not treat it in the same way as other combat-essential tasks.

Article

Resources Page

Well done! We'll get this thing right eventually...

Ryan Long Guest

Great article Ryan, I look forward to the sequel.

Default RE: Training or Exercise

100%, no doubt about it spot on.

I find myself in a different focus group- specops for the AF- but the exact same problem abounds. Even in the career field (mos) that is hands down the fittest in my respective service, I see the exact problems listed here. While we are given infinitely more time/control over our specific workouts with very little input from "higher", the same thing happens time and time again. 150lb operator guy talks crap to the 210lb operator guy cause 150lb guy smokes the PT test with a perfect score. 210lb operator guy then proceeds to smoke the living crap out of 150lb guy in the "real world" because he has a focused approach to fitness and trains more than pushups, pullups, situps, a run, and a swim. 150lb guy is confused as to why this happens.

You would think that, among people that pride themselves on being the strongest, that there would be some sort of periodized, logical progression to overall strength and conditioning, executed in a manner that promotes actual growth as opposed to a false sense of security. Not the case.

Well done Sir. Looking forward to reading more.

I think most of us can agree that the Army's PT program is broken...but I guess my question is how do we fix it? I know how I've been approaching this but would love to hear someone else's plan.

Default Great Article

I work as an exercise physiologist/CSCS for the Army (GS), and I'm also National Guard (Infantry)- I was active duty in the mid 90's when the old FM 21.20 was the reason behind much of the way it shaped the "training" and PT.

Funny thing, PT in the Army was probably one of the biggest shapers of my future career, and since then (a couple degree's later, a whole lot of cert's, and a few jobs here and there), I've learned 2 things.

1) I don't know crap
    2) See #1

So I had to laugh when I saw the reference to leadership needing to realize that they should transfer the "training" aspect more to the SME's. I couldn't agree more. Hopefully by the time the Big Army warms up to the idea for a full implementation, people aren't going cyclic in practical application back to the late 90's/early 00's when everyone was put on selectorized machines and told not to squat, dead, and clean b/c they're too complex or dangerous.

Maybe an answer is to have a career field for enlisted and officer? I don't think it's enough to designate someone, which is destined for the Master Fitness Trainer from years ago. The role would be very similar to an NBC NCO, and their training and role would be similiar.

Great article though- I enjoyed it.

Rob S, could you expand on what it is you do related to strength training and the Army? I am very interested in trying to find some way to have a career related to both strength coaching (or something related) and the military and would appreciate any information you may have. A career field would be awesome, but as you pointed out, doesn't exist at this time.

Thanks for the comments and certainly a big thanks to Rip for getting this out there. It's nice to know that some people will read this instead of me having to explain my "crazy" ideas to anyone who will listen. We are working hard on our program here in 10th SFG(A) with 2 new contract strength coaches. I help out when and where I can. I am planning to write another article soon which will be more "strength-focused" as is the norm on this site.

ZachN - True a "career-field" doesn't exist as of yet in the military with a sole purpose of strength and conditioning, however, the trend right now is Army Physical Therapists will begin filling this role, in addition to therapy. The title is Human Performance Optimization Officer, and Brigade Combat Team Physical Therapists are slated to begin taking on this role on or about 2013 (I believe). Not that it really means much to those of us around this board, but the SOP will be that all PTs will have to earn and stay current with a CSCS. This additional duty, so to speak, was first implemented at the 75th Ranger Regiment, and over there, the PTs and OTs have a direct hand in the planning of the physical fitness of their respective elements.

starting strength coach development program
    Although in some units the resources are now available, until participation is mandatory, it won't really work. There are plenty of guys here who seek out the strength coaches and get on a great program. Others choose to avoid it. I was in the Ranger Regiment when they first had a strength coach, I thought I knew what I was doing so I never met the guy. It was my loss, and because no one directed me to get on a program I did the usual push-ups, sit-ups, and run everyday. As a commander, I did my LTs a great disservice by subjecting them to the same B.S. program. Just having the resources is only the first step, leaders have to back them up much like a head football coach has to back up his strength staff. If a kid doesn't put out in the weight room, he should hear about it from the head coach, ideally it would be the same in the military. I think the good news is that we are starting to get it right in the SOF community. Typically, as goes SOF, so goes the Army (eventually.) We are talking about a huge paradigm shift, it won't happen before I retire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast