starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lying Triceps Extension

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What is the lowest number of reps you suggest doing these with, Rip?

Rip,

Good video sir, and one I was amazed to see. I'm glad you explained that the purpose/necessity was for building strength for your Bench and it served as an assist for Intermediate programming. One thing I did very much enjoy and find funny, was your very detailed explanation of the Bench you were using, including height, length, etc. I chuckled at this and can only imagine you stated that so people don't ask a stupid question like "what can I do this exercise on?" I am honestly waiting for people to ask if they can use a non-standard Bench, you know someone will.

How do you feel this exercise compares to say a Close-Grip Bench Press for improving Tricep strength and development? I know a lot of Intermediate programs suggest the Close-Grip, but avoid exercises such as the skull-crusher, etc. for obvious reasons.

Also wanted to ask. When I was a wee lad starting out lifting, my father had me do an exercise known as the Chest Expansion, where you lie prone and place your upper back perpendicular to the length of the Bench (so you minimize the amount of your body actually supported by the Bench and support the bulk of your weight with your supporting legs) and perform a similar movement as this exercise. It supposedly would broaden your chest, etc. Is this a bro/bodybuilding version or just something you've never heard of and is crazy? It seems that it would work similarly although adding a perhaps unnecessary difficulty by supporting the body without the aid of the Bench.

Thanks.

I finally have a use for my ez bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward View Post
    Rip, what's your opinion of pullovers?
    I think they're quite a bit like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    What is the lowest number of reps you suggest doing these with, Rip?
    I see no point in doing fewer than 8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
    How do you feel this exercise compares to say a Close-Grip Bench Press for improving Tricep strength and development? I know a lot of Intermediate programs suggest the Close-Grip, but avoid exercises such as the skull-crusher, etc. for obvious reasons.
    I think they work well together, alternated. Any more isolation than these provide is not productive for a strength program.

When I was a wee lad starting out lifting, my father had me do an exercise known as the Chest Expansion, where you lie prone and place your upper back perpendicular to the length of the Bench (so you minimize the amount of your body actually supported by the Bench and support the bulk of your weight with your supporting legs) and perform a similar movement as this exercise. It supposedly would broaden your chest, etc. Is this a bro/bodybuilding version or just something you've never heard of and is crazy? It seems that it would work similarly although adding a perhaps unnecessary difficulty by supporting the body without the aid of the Bench.
    Pullovers, as mentioned above, were thought to expand the chest if done after "breathing squats." I was never able to attribute chest expansion to them, and I tried them like we all did. But in doing so, the tricep effects of this modified style of pullover became obvious.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Tried these today. I am glad I started with light weigths. The loaded stretch rapes the long head of the triceps.

Personally I don't get the hate against curls some people have. Whenever I have to do manual labour, which isn't much I'll admit, the muscle's I'll use the most are in my arms, and back. From a functional standpoint they seem to be worth the training to me.

Really informative video Rip, thanks. In the past I had always done the BB version of the skull-crusher and cable pressdowns, but I'm thankful to learn this.

What are your thoughts on these as compared to dips as assistance for increasing bench presses and overhead presses?

Rip,

Thanks for posting this video. I added this to the end of my bench workout and just did a few lights sets (4x10) to get a feel for the exercise and focused on trying to throw the bar threw the ceiling like you mentioned. That was Sunday the 10th, today is Wednesday the 13th and my triceps feel like they have been torn apart. Best exercise I've found that doesn't hurt my elbow or shoulders and gives my triceps a proper workout.

Thanks Again,

Brian

great video ,this exercise is more commonly known as a pjr pullover
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-21-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: link removal

No, it's not known as anything but the lying triceps extension, because that name tells us what you do, and "pjr" is merely a meaningless series of three letters.

Cool

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitchellpettis View Post
    Rip,

Best exercise I've found that doesn't hurt my elbow or shoulders and gives my triceps a proper workout.

Thanks Again,

Brian

+1

Did this on intensity press day. It didn't hurt my elbows at all but I'm still doing it light. Also my lats seem to be engaging hard. And now the truth: I did three sets of curls before it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast