starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death by Prowler

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Matt,

On page 6 you said that 2 sessions of 10-20 minutes a week will not adversely affect strength training. Is this "10-20 minutes" using the Prowler Base or more intense Prowler programming? Can you program a Prowler even on an intermediate strength template, for instance TM?

Great article. I'll have to read it a couple more times.

Quote Originally Posted by PRCalDude View Post
    Matt,

On page 6 you said that 2 sessions of 10-20 minutes a week will not adversely affect strength training. Is this "10-20 minutes" using the Prowler Base or more intense Prowler programming? Can you program a Prowler even on an intermediate strength template, for instance TM?

Great article. I'll have to read it a couple more times.
    It depends on the athlete, their goals, where they are in the yearly training model, etc. However, it will almost always start conservatively and progressively get harder as the athlete adapts, so that, in fact, "harder" is a term that means more total volume/weight even though it may stress the system about the same since the athlete adapts.

And yes, adding it to an intermediate's work is fine - 2 times a week, starting conservatively. You can experiment and do it at the end of the heavy and wednesday (recovery) sessions. The higher volume day (5x5) is already high volume, so we don't usually do it that day. You can also do it the day after the squats. Just experiment with what you like best, but I like it best on the heavy day and the recovery day.

Thanks. Do you have any heart rate monitor recommendations?

We just have the baisc Polar Heart Rate Monitor Watches/Chest band.

(Also posted this in the death by prowler thread in Rip's Q and A, but it seems more appropriate over here)

Matt,
    Thanks for the great article. I have a question regarding the STRONG gym method. How did you guys come up with the 180/150 for the heart rates? Were they a certain percentage of William’s max or is that the protocol everyone at your gym follows?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Soctt, I answered in Rip's forum. He'll approve it soon I'm sure. Its based on age of the athlete. 80-95% max HR throughout theentire short session.

I tried the Prowler tonight for the first time as a serious effort. This thing kicked my natural-born ass. All I could do were 7 "sprints" with 215 lbs for 20 seconds. I came home and was very nauseous and I laid down till the effect subsided. Next week I'll do only 6 sprints and work up from there. But I can see if I keep working with this thing, I'll see positive results.

Interesting article - two quick questions:

Do the suggested loads in the article include the weight of the sled itself?

If sled work is on an active rest day, what do you suggest for a warmup - especially to avoid calf or Achilles strains?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Interesting article - two quick questions:

Do the suggested loads in the article include the weight of the sled itself?

If sled work is on an active rest day, what do you suggest for a warmup - especially to avoid calf or Achilles strains?
    The effect of a load on the prowler is dependent on the surface it is used on and factors that interact with it (eg humidity). Examples are not prescriptive, they deal with approaches.

Light and easy works with a warmup for the Prowler, just like anything else. Extra general warmup (walking, rowing etc.) if someone is delicate or has Issues can always be done.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast