starting strength gym

Thread: Velocity-based loading

Default Velocity-based loading

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wanted to hear your thoughts on velocity-based loading. I am mainly referring to the idea presented in this paper:
    Comparison of velocity-based loading, Researchgate

I do realize that the study should be taken with a grain of salt (their data is based on 16 participants), but at the very least it seems reasonable.
    My reasoning is that if a person can theoretically produce a maximal force of F newtons then for a weight with mass M, if pushing the weight in a straight line
    upwards, the resulting acceleration should be a = (F/M-g). Here g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Note that this is ignoring the person's bodyweight.
    Considering the above, it seems reasonable that a sub 1RM lift should result in a higher upwards velocity. And it also seems plausible that the velocity should be a
    good indicator of the applied force (provided that a maximal velocity pull/push is attempted). This is obviously an informal justification which ignores all biomechanical
    aspects and also simplifies the physical details.

This ridiculous paper is a fine example of the reasons why the "Exercise Science Literature" gets relegated to the comedy clubs. Discuss, since you have so much time now.

I'll admit I don't fully understand it, mostly because I can't stand to listen to him talk, but isn't this similar to Louie's dynamic day dogma?

I looked up "Louie's dynamic day dogma" shortly and it doesn't seem to be the case. The TLDR is that they use the measured velocity of the bar during an exercise to estimate the weight used for every set of each training session in one of the groups, and a weight based on 1RM % in a different group. The conclusion is that the adaptive velocity-based loading yields better results, even when it results in a lower volume. They are basically saying that bar velocity is a better predictor of exertion than percentage based approaches. This seems reasonable, at least to me.
    The main issue is the methodology and sample size used in the publication - in my field such a paper will never get published, however, in my field acquiring a large dataset is easy.