starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength Training and Stroke Recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm the author of the article.

In the years since it was originally posted, Rip has put me in contact with folks in very similar situations who have read it and found it helpful to varying degrees. I've been asked a few times to post an update of my own progress, and I've been negligent in never getting around to it, so I thought I'd try to correct that today.

Most things are pretty good: I’m still alive – no additional neurological events have occurred since the original strokes. I get an MRI every year or so to confirm this. I don’t have to take Warfarin anymore. I bought a house. I still have all my hair. I’m getting married this October to my girlfriend Linda, whom I mentioned in the article. If I ever bitch too much about anything insignificant or stupid, she’s quick to remind me how things could have gone differently. The gravity of my situation (8 years past, now) is still not lost on me, nor is the positive effect strength training has made in my life.

In terms of stroke related deficit, my balance and focus have never returned to their pre-stroke states. I’m still quick to fatigue and likely always will be. As I tire, I stumble, and my concentration wanes. At this point, I don’t expect that this will ever change, but as long as I’m diligent in keeping well rested and fed, I’m 99% normal. I’ll take it.

As far as strength work goes, I’m stronger than I ever was prior to my stroke. It ain’t even close. We put a rack in the basement and Linda started lifting with me a few years ago. She put on 15 pounds of muscle in short order and can out-squat me any day of the week. We both ran out our beginner gains and have since adopted periodized intermediate programs that keep us interested and continually challenged.

Some things are not good: On occasion, I’ve overestimated my ability to not fuck up, and I’ve injured myself lifting. I’ve screwed up my right shoulder and my right elbow, and have had to completely reset my lifting several times. I’m closing in on 40 now, and my ability recover is noticeably diminished, so I manage my training (and especially my warmup sets) accordingly.

I do have an anecdote that is germane to SS, yet unrelated to stroke. Last October, Linda and I were pulling and I felt a sharp pain under my ribcage on the right side. It hurt enough that I couldn’t finish my set, and haven’t been able to do any significant lifting since. After a couple visits to the doctor, bloodwork, 2 ultrasounds and a HIDA scan, it turns out my gallbladder is completely screwed. I have a 6% ejection fraction, and the fucking thing’s gotta come out. According to the surgeon, it’s completely unrelated to training or diet – it just happened. One of those ‘curveballs’ that life throws at you, I suppose. The bottom line is, 6 or 8 weeks after I have my gallbladder laparoscopically removed on May 3rd, I’ll be back on a bare bones program to get into the groove again, and Starting Strength will be my recovery template for a good reason.

You aren’t planning on doing BJJ again correct? Scary article.

starting strength coach development program
    Great article and update.

When I was reading I was scared for a second that the ER Dr. was going to discharge you after diagnosing you as dehydrated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12