starting strength gym

Thread: Should I go for linear progression or Texas Method

Default Should I go for linear progression or Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 6 Ft
    Weight: 205#

Lifts (Don't know my rep maxes, I guess I'm what you would call a volume warrior but I didn't know that)
    Squat: 280# x 5 x 5 (With 2 minute rests)
    Dead-lift: 405 x 3 (It was 425 x 5 but it's down)
    Bench Press: I don't bench Press buit last time I checked it was 220# for a few sets of 5
    Press: 150# x 5 x 5
    Deep Weighted Dip: 90# for 2 or 3 Reps
    Weighted Pull-Ups: 65# x 5 x 5 (strict)
    Atg Rear foot elevated Split Squats: 185# x 5

So I have been stalling alot and I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I just read alot about the Texas Method. I wanted to try it but I'm not sure if I am even ready for it. My squat is pretty light. Should I start Texas Method or should I try to go for some type of Linear progression with my squat?

Your squat is pretty light, it would probably benefit from a linear progression for some time, if you really haven't trained it for intensity. Your other lifts might not get as much out of a linear progression.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Your squat is pretty light, it would probably benefit from a linear progression for some time, if you really haven't trained it for intensity. Your other lifts might not get as much out of a linear progression.

So what should I do man? Should I try and start up a linear progression for my squat and then TM everything else? I'm so lost man. I think I'm gonna cry right now.....haha

I wouldn't say the squat is that light considering only 2 min rests for 5x5

Any idea what you'd squat 5x5 with 7-10 min rests?

Quote Originally Posted by Forthright View Post
    So what should I do man? Should I try and start up a linear progression for my squat and then TM everything else? I'm so lost man. I think I'm gonna cry right now.....haha
    Yes, that's right, I'd say put your squat on a linear progression, 3 sets of 5 each workout, incrementally increasing the weights as you can, and put everything else on some kind of TM. I'm not sure about the deadlift though, I've never tried TM for deadlift so I couldn't say how it might respond to that. Maybe some other forum members will have some relevant experience here.

Atg Rear foot elevated Split Squats: 185# x 5
    i can't even visualize what that would look like. I think it would be BTG more than than ATG? ... and if you can do that kind of weight i'm surprised your squat is not higher.

I was originally going to suggest that you should just get set-up on TM with your current 5x5x280 as the volume day and not worry about it.... but if you can really do bulgarian split squats at 185 i'd think you could also squat in the mid 300s ... (but that's qust a guess) so run at normal SS could help you express that more quickly.

What kind of squats do you currently do ?

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    i can't even visualize what that would look like. I think it would be BTG more than than ATG? ... and if you can do that kind of weight i'm surprised your squat is not higher.

I was originally going to suggest that you should just get set-up on TM with your current 5x5x280 as the volume day and not worry about it.... but if you can really do bulgarian split squats at 185 i'd think you could also squat in the mid 300s ... (but that's qust a guess) so run at normal SS could help you express that more quickly.

What kind of squats do you currently do ?
    You would think that but it's not really true. Split squats don't have good carryover to double leg squats. If they did then I would probably just do that.

starting strength coach development program
    You would think that but it's not really true. Split squats don't have good carryover to double leg squats. If they did then I would probably just do that.
    This was actually discussed at the seminar in Toronto. Rip's response was pretty colourful.