starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: No Chalk Allowed!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    No chalk at my gym, so I did this.

Before I went to the gym. Worked thus far.

Crafty like a fox, Whities. Good thinking.

Does this mean the ol' Manta Ray can now be melted down and used for Star Wars figurines?

Good article - insightful and funny. And it hits very close to home as I am a franchisee owner in a commercial gym. Our youngest son is a powerlifter and got me interested in SS a few months ago. I am now a true believer in the 'Great Squat God' and the 'Lift of The UnDead'. I hang my head in shame every time I look at the required smith machine in the corner. We do have a Hammer Strength multi-rack, but of course surrounded by mirror, mirror on every fucking wall. Our son advised us to get two power racks but I was blinded by false gods and prophets at the time; i.e. You Need Space For TRX Functional Training....... At least I relied on the advice of a wise sales rep who recommended good american made barbells and round plates, along with the premium urethane coated dumbbells (oh god of squats!, what a waste of capital). Forgive me for my ignorance, but I had never even heard of bumper plates until last month. At least Rip's Iron Plate video dispels the notion that they are required. The money we spent on state of the art selectorized machines sicken me, but now I can get a big chuckle out of seeing users on the 'kegle' machine preparing to be ultimate sex machines.

I personally see things much differently now, but effecting real change in how people understand fitness will be a slow. As I progress through my SS novice stage I will think hard and long about how to at least incrementally make our gym more strength friendly and how best to spread the gospel of compound lifts within the confines of a small commercial facility. At least now, I would not freak out if some poor lost soul dropped chalk on our floors.

I really enjoyed this and can attest to similar exposure of the Gold's gym and Planet fitness. In regards to Planet Fitness I've seen an article out of pennsylvania I believe that a guy was yelled at and the authorities came to have him leave due to grunting. what a bunch of wankers.

Yeah. Just like everyone said. Liked it!

This thread reminds me, I need to find a new gym. One that allows chalk, I feel a little sleezy sneaking it in.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    This thread reminds me, I need to find a new gym. One that allows chalk, I feel a little sleezy sneaking it in.
    I'm not sure if my gym allows chalk. I didn't ask. I keep it in a zip lock bag and clean up the bar afterward. No one has complained yet.

great article.

however i think there is a niche opening up i have noticed at my gym. which does have squat racks and platforms and bumpers and weighted sleds etc. however it also has the silly over priced machine bullshit but is all separate with plenty of mirrors and cardio bunnies to watch the bro's flex.

the niche i have noticed is all thanks to the crossfit movement. when i noticed it i called it the crossfit refugee. however later found out i was not the first person to use this term.

its people who want to perform functional movements but have since probably either become poor from the fees or are recovering from any number of herniated disks and or tendinitis almost everywhere. they like to train with barbells but don't want to go back to their 'box'.

i think those people mixed with people who just want to get strong could open up a niche of allowing bare bones functional facilities to become financially viable.

at least thats my theory and i hope one day to bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malpeg View Post
    I'm not sure if my gym allows chalk. I didn't ask. I keep it in a zip lock bag and clean up the bar afterward. No one has complained yet.
    That's right. Never ask if you are allowed to use chalk, because if you have to ask, then the answer will be no. As long as you're clean about it in end-to-end usage, I can't see why it should become a problem worthy of intervention.

starting strength coach development program
    "Can I clean?"

"Yes, we ask that you use our complementary wet naps!"

Priceless.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456