starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbell Training & Physical Therapy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Highly relevant article, from the best PT I've ever met. That knee pain has all but dissapeared John, can't thank you enough.
    Thanks Patrik, I really appreciate your kind words. I am happy to hear your knee is feeling better. Looking forward to working together again soon.

As someone who trains with barbells, was a D1 S&C intern and is now entering PT School this summer, I absolutely loved this article and can relate to what I've seen in my short time in PT clinics and university gyms. I plan on following your lead Dr. Petrizzo.
    Thanks BigJavs, I am happy that you enjoyed the article. Good luck in PT school, I know your background training with barbells will be an asset of you just like it was for me.

Fantastic article, John! I work at the collegiate level and have seen multiple athletes go through ACL rehab procedures. These injuries are generally treated by the athletic trainer and have left me stunned at points. Post surgery they seem restricted to quarter squats and then gradually brought down to lower depths. I have been told this is due to the strength of the knee graph initially. Additionally, they are told they will never be able to squat below parallel ever again. What bothers me most is the quality of squats performed post surgery: knees in and forward, with seemingly no concern of knee safety. What are your procedures for rehabbing similar injuries? I know you briefly touched on this in the article, but I was hoping for information relating to time frames post-op. Thank you for your time!

Excellent, John. I will also be pushing this article. And I will also be studying PT as well. I believe your thoughts will dovetail nicely with those of PTs like Charlie Weingroff, Gray Cook, et al.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Murphy View Post
    Fantastic article, John! I work at the collegiate level and have seen multiple athletes go through ACL rehab procedures. These injuries are generally treated by the athletic trainer and have left me stunned at points. Post surgery they seem restricted to quarter squats and then gradually brought down to lower depths. I have been told this is due to the strength of the knee graph initially. Additionally, they are told they will never be able to squat below parallel ever again. What bothers me most is the quality of squats performed post surgery: knees in and forward, with seemingly no concern of knee safety. What are your procedures for rehabbing similar injuries? I know you briefly touched on this in the article, but I was hoping for information relating to time frames post-op. Thank you for your time!
    Hi Erich,

Thanks for your comments. There is a time period following ACL surgery where the graft is vulnerable and needs to be taken into consideration when programming however I have found that most people have no real problem re-gaining ROM following surgery and there is no reason why anyone (especially in your setting) would not be able to squat to proper depth following their rehabilitation. I can't really give you any specifics as time frames vary with the different surgical techniques, MD guidelines (generally very conservative), and motivation and willingness of the patient to participate in their rehab.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by 3panther View Post
    Excellent, John. I will also be pushing this article. And I will also be studying PT as well. I believe your thoughts will dovetail nicely with those of PTs like Charlie Weingroff, Gray Cook, et al.
    Thank you.
    Thank you. Good luck in PT school.

Awesome article! I have to visit this place often to keep my sanity from "experts" out there. Your article is a staple for me, and has helped keep my feet on the ground. Thanks!

I am very new to SS and this forum. I had ACL surgury 5 years ago, went through rehab (which consisted mostly of quarter/half squats). I was also told that I might not ever be able to go past parallel but once rehab was done, I started on an more active lifestyle. I've never let my ACL be a the reason why I can't do something. So now that I started SS, I have had the hardest time with the squat. I am sure that it all relates to my form, and will be attending the Seminar in Chicago with Jonathon. This was a great article and and gave me some hope that it can be corrected.

starting strength coach development program
    I am 9 weeks out from a tib/fib spiral fracture and intramedullary rod surgery. Last week the surgeon clear me to stop wearing an air cast and he left it up to me to wean from the crutches. I'm going to physical therapy sessions 2x weekly and have an array of stretches and bodyweight exercises as 'homework'. The next set of x-rays will be taken in seven weeks. The ROM in my knee is much improved, but the ankle (the fib fracture was low, near the ankle) is lagging behind. I've tried to bodyweight squat, but the lack of ankle ROM gets in the way. It's a long way off from a squat. Should I start with the Leg Press as described by M. Rippetoe in this video: The Leg Press with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube ?
    Last edited by Daniel Babbitt; 11-22-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12