starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the recommendation for the bad days?

Default What is the recommendation for the bad days?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What's the actual recommendation for what to do on a bad day? I can't find anything in Practical Programming about what you actually should do on a bad day when it is happening. What the rule of thumb for changing that day's workout, or do you change it? Actual coaches and the book have said "you have to identify the problem and fix it." That is fine, but it doesn't tell you what to do on the actual day it happens. It is always said you repeat the weight two more workouts and if you still cannot hit the target, you reset. That is fine, but it still doesn't tell you what to do on the actual day it happens.

On the actual bad day when it is happening, what do you do?
    - Keep the weight the same but do however many reps you can do in the same amount of sets
    - Keep the weight the same but do fewer reps and the amount of sets it takes to get in all of them, even if it takes 15 singles
    - What if you can't even get a single?
    - Take some percentage of weight off and just get in some volume
    - Something else

Is this in the Starting Strength book anywhere? I made the mistake of buying the kindle version and find it very difficult to use on a small device so I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for.

Depends way too much on the circumstances and what the program calls for to generalize.

There are times when bagging the workout is the right choice.
    There are times when getting all the reps in with shorter sets is the right choice.
    There are times when dropping the weight and getting the prescribed sets done is the right choice.
    Re-evaluating either the program or your recovery is always the right choice.

If it's just an isolated bad day, I'll usually drop the weights and finish the prescribed sets and reps. Very, very rarely do I just call it a day and leave, and it's usually when I'm so beat that finishing the workout would risk an injury.

Is there a recommendation out of any of Rip's publications? Because I have not been able to find one in the publications that I do have. I'm on the try number 3 of the scenario where you go in to do your workout, fail to get the reps, then try two more times. I'm on that last of the two more times and my ability is worse than the others.

Really depends why. And on you.

For me, as a pretty consistent advanced lifter, it's either I'm not recovered enough, or I'm doing something wrong usually technique wise. If I'm not recovered enough, I either go home or cut things short. If my technique sucks, I fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Is there a recommendation out of any of Rip's publications? Because I have not been able to find one in the publications that I do have. I'm on the try number 3 of the scenario where you go in to do your workout, fail to get the reps, then try two more times. I'm on that last of the two more times and my ability is worse than the others.
    Might be time for a reset or change in programming.
    What you do on the actual bad day doesn't really matter much, I don't think. Just pick one of the options [in this thread] and reevaluate to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by krazyduck; 10-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Is there a recommendation out of any of Rip's publications?
    Nope.

Why focus on what to do on bad days instead of focus on just not having them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Why focus on what to do on bad days instead of focus on just not having them?
    Do you even reality, bro?

starting strength coach development program
    Use your knowledge guided by experience to know when to bag it. What's the goal of the day's training? If it's just a recovery day, bag it. If it's to get a training stimulus, lower the weight and get the stimulus. Don't freak out over it unless bad days come in waves.

This is why I dig autoregulation. It gives some conceptual tools to help figure this out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast