starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Ways to 5 x 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    got a lot out of that, thanks very much!

Great article, as an older lifter the 5x5 method that I used in the past consisted of 2 warm up sets of 5 followed by 3 work sets of 5 although I found that I needed an extra warm up set for squats.

Hi coach,

Is there any reason you left out pyramid sets?

starting strength coach development program
    Great article!

I think it's interesting that the more people train (or train others), the more they see the benefits of five reps - "the perfect combination for both size and strength" as you said in the article.

For example, I noticed that in Wendler's latest book, 5/3/1 Forever, most the program templates have evolved to include more 5-rep sets than the original version did. I assume this is a result of experience and seeing what works and what doesn't when training others.

Curious what your thoughts are on a program like this: Pavel: 80/20 Powerlifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lifts | The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss

Basically, looks like this:
    M - Squat 5x5
    W - Bench 5x5, light Squat (80%)
    F - Deadlift 5x5, light Bench (80%)

Not a lot different from some of the programs included in Barbell Prescription and Practical Programming, but I thought it was intriguing. I know there's no Press, but maybe one could do Incline Bench (15-25 degrees) to make sure they hit their shoulders more?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12