starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Ways to 5 x 5

Default 5 Ways to 5 x 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Andy Baker

“Most of us recognize that doing 5 sets of 5 reps – 5 x 5 – is an incredibly powerful method of getting big and strong…there are multiple ways to employ the 5x5 method into your program. Each method has its own set of pros and cons.”

Article

Awesome article, Andy. I am going to start using descending sets ASAP. I also like the independent sets scheme.

Nice article; I like the look of some of these! For a novice however, would you maintain the SS model of 3 x 5 is still the best way to start and exhaust progress before looking to be more creative? Having said that, isn't 5 x 5 across going to produce too much stress once the weight gets heavy i.e. for an intermediate (and beyond) and therefore be better for a novice practicing his technique and not yet at 5RM territory? That was wordy, sorry....

5x5 is an intermediate rep scheme. Sets across will work for a good long while with an early intermediate, but yeah, it can't be maintained forever. Advanced guys will use 5x5 for short runs to accumulate fatigue and then pull back sharply on volume and increase intensity

Hi Andy,
    being an older guy (48 this august), I tried something like this lately, nothing fancy or amazing, but it worked pretty good in terms of recovering:
    week 1
    3x5 sets across

week 2
    4x5 sets across (same weight)

week 3
    5x5 (sets across same weight)

add 2.5 Kg. and repeat

When 3x5 sets across is too heavy I switched to 3x3, 4x3 5x3 (same thing). Maybe adding 1 back-off set after 3x3 scheme or 1 amrap set with a lower weight could also be fun (just to add some volume) but I didn't tried it.
    What do you think?
    Thanks, I really appreciate your work.
    David

Sure. If it worked for you, thats a decent plan. If you watched my video from the SSCA last year you'll see some similarities between your plan and the plan I describe there.

Nice and interesting twist on the 5x5. Great article as always!

This article was much needed...thanks!

Succinct article that shows at a glance what general strategies are available in this rep scheme. The avoidance of excessive detail makes it easier to walk away with a broad map of the territory. Most articles are way too long and the reader doesn't have a way to properly organize the information in his head, so it doesn't stay there long. This one had the ideal amount of information.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, Andy. This article is very timely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast