starting strength gym

Thread: What Not to Do: Observations of Powerlifters Coaching Novices

Default What Not to Do: Observations of Powerlifters Coaching Novices

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Kyle Mask

“It has been my observation that experienced lifters – those who have been at it for half a decade or more and think they have the answers – almost invariably do not even remember what they did as novices. But almost assuredly, what they did IS NOT what they now recommend.”

Article

An excellent counterexample that serves to emphasize the salient features and requirements of novice programming. A fine addition to our library.

Over on the Starting Strength Facebook page, we fight an ongoing rear guard battle with a big, strong Brit powerlifter who embodies the problem spelled out in this article. Poor guy cannot for the life of him understand that Novice programming and what he does as an accomplished heavyweight lifter are not related to each other. Impervious to explanation, and utterly unequipped to understand mechanics, he plows ahead with "how much ya bench?!!?" as justification. I view it as an opportunity to calmly explain things and develop some ability to suffer fools more gladly, as it seems fools are becoming more prevalent even as I become more brillianter by the day. One of those last two statements is likely untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    Over on the Starting Strength Facebook page, we fight an ongoing rear guard battle with a big, strong Brit powerlifter who embodies the problem spelled out in this article. Poor guy cannot for the life of him understand that Novice programming and what he does as an accomplished heavyweight lifter are not related to each other. Impervious to explanation, and utterly unequipped to understand mechanics, he plows ahead with "how much ya bench?!!?" as justification. I view it as an opportunity to calmly explain things and develop some ability to suffer fools more gladly, as it seems fools are becoming more prevalent even as I become more brillianter by the day. One of those last two statements is likely untrue.
    Years ago in another sport a very successful coach who had been a pretty good athlete said, "Many successful athletes are there despite themselves. Asking them for advice is like asking (race horse) Secretariat for advice."

Excellent article. And this was pure gold: "Asking the novice to establish a max is tantamount to throwing a fifteen-year-old virgin boy in front of a camera for a threesome with Gianna Michaels and Rachel Starr and expecting thirty minutes of cinematic gold."