starting strength gym

Thread: My 45-Year Association with Bill Starr

Default My 45-Year Association with Bill Starr

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Steve Dussia

“...The Strongest Shall Survive went from concept to reality. Bill was the writer, I was a photographer, and the rest is history. Bill compiled his notes and research into the text, and I did a handful of cartoons, and upon completion of each chapter, we would pick an athlete who had acceptable technique and a world of patience, and do the accompanying photographs.”

Part 1 Article

Part 2 Bill Starr: A Legend Walked Among Us

“What I have to share is a view of the man who probably influenced strength training more than anyone else of his generation. The success of those of you who followed his programs helped to cement his legend status.”

Part 2 Article

Part 3 Bill Starr: He Wrote the Book

“As opposed to a set of weights however, with Elmer there were no light and heavy days. Every day was a heavy day, heavier than the day before. Elmer ate like a pig, and Bill kept lifting him, every day, rain or shine, for as many reps as he could muster.”

Part 3 Article
    Last edited by stef; 10-23-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Good article, but either I'm missing something or the last sentence left out a word.

Remember, if you enjoy the training, you won’t enjoy the competition.

I loved the vignette where Starr made Hoffman back off on his "forgery" complaint by threatening to spill the beans about the use of steroids at York. I have gathered over the years that Hoffman was a reprobate, but some of the articles you folks have published here just make him worse and worse. In the end, not much to pick from between either him or Weider.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Good article, but either I'm missing something or the last sentence left out a word.
    I think he's saying that if you're not pushing yourself hard enough to be suffering during training, you're going to do poorly in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I think he's saying that if you're not pushing yourself hard enough to be suffering during training, you're going to do poorly in competition.
    Ah, that makes sense. I was indeed missing something.