starting strength gym

Thread: In Depth on the Arm Pull

Default In Depth on the Arm Pull

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A practical session for coaches in which Mark Rippetoe discusses the teaching method for the power clean and how teaching a correct pull early on prevents arm pulling problems in the future. Filmed at the 2016 Starting Strength Coaches Association Conference.

Watch video

It seems lifters with long arms are nearly standing fully erect, with nearly fully extended hips, which reduces the range of motion that the lifter can catapult the bar up from the jumping position.

I'm guessing the explosive nature of the lift negates the need for a long jumping range of motion?

Do lifters with shorter arms have an advantage in that they have more range to extend, and accellerate the bar?

Very much appreciated this.

First time I've heard of "bar crash". Is that just a messy rack?

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    It seems lifters with long arms are nearly standing fully erect, with nearly fully extended hips, which reduces the range of motion that the lifter can catapult the bar up from the jumping position.
    I am not sure I follow. Regardless of arm length, you want to get to full extension at the top of the Olympic lifts.

I'm guessing the explosive nature of the lift negates the need for a long jumping range of motion?
    Still don't know what you are asking.

Do lifters with shorter arms have an advantage in that they have more range to extend, and accellerate the bar?
    Shorter arms will mean that you touch higher on the thigh. That can be an advantage as the bar will naturally be pulled to a higher point prior to the jump. It also can make things more difficult when pulling from the floor, but for the Olympic lifts, the latter is unlikely to be very problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Very much appreciated this.

First time I've heard of "bar crash". Is that just a messy rack?
    It is when the bar comes crashing down on the shoulders from higher up instead of the lifter meeting the bar.

Some very successful lifters have had short arms, like Rezazedeh. The acceleration begins as the bar is pulled from the floor and continues to the top of the pull. The "jump" is the way we teach the pull to novices, but the pull is eventually accelerated over the whole ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The "jump" is the way we teach the pull to novices, but the pull is eventually accelerated over the whole ROM.
    Rip, what verbal cue would you use to correct a lifter who jumps too early and therefore does not finish the final bit of extension?

Perhaps, "finish the pull" or "get tall" or "shrug it back" can work?

Also, if the lifter has a very long torso relative to their femurs, is an aiming point higher on the thigh likely to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Shorter arms will mean that you touch higher on the thigh.
    Somehow I missed/forgotten that part in the book, despite it being clearly written out. Seems pretty obvious now. (I have long arms like the lifter in the video).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The "jump" is the way we teach the pull to novices, but the pull is eventually accelerated over the whole ROM.
    This completely clarifies it for me. Thanks.

I suspect that longer armed lifters are more prone to arm bend than guys like Rezazadeh.

starting strength coach development program
    I have the exact same racking problem, which is that I do it in two steps (elbows halfway to rack position and then a split second later I raise them up to full rack).

1) why do you think this is a problem for people?
    2) what have you observed that helps to correct it?