starting strength gym

Thread: Science of the 'light day'?

Default Science of the 'light day'?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In PPST, it's recommended to do a 60-80% 5RM light squat day between heavy days during advanced novice. Light days are continued in most intermediate programs. Is this just to practice the movement? Blood flow increase is mentioned in PPST but couldn't that be accomplished with a variety of methods (keeping intensity low)?

On the other hand, heavy pressing and pulling movements are typically maintained on all days but with varying weight due to the type of exercise. For example, alternating between DL, PC, and snatch. Isn't a heavy snatch and heavy PC doing about the same amount of work (due to bar distance travelled)? If so, does that imply that light day == less force?

I'm confused about what we're trying to accomplish during light day and why %RM matters (as long as it's < 80% 5RM). When would I want to change my light day from 80% to 60% or vice versa?

Thanks in advance, I screwed up my transition to intermediate prior to a recent hiatus and want to understand the theory at work so I don't repeat myself.

41yrs old, 6', 300# (still dropping fat
    Current squat: 355x3x5, bar still moving quickly and SSC reviewed

Greg

Light days can accomplish a variety of different things depending upon the situation and the lifter's level of training advancement. To address your most basic question, an Advanced Novice is capable of two weekly squat increases, let's say Monday and Friday. His stress->recovery->adaptation cycle is still pretty short and simple to manage but it's now 3-4 days instead of 1-2 days. So a light day in that program allows for technique practice of the lift, as an Advanced Novice hasn't been doing the movement for that long yet that technique is perfectly ingrained. It is a perfect day to work on the technique issues that may pop up on the heavier days but are difficult to address because of the weight on the bar. Obviously technique issues beyond a certain level of degradation call for taking weight off the bar altogether, but smaller errors and issues that don't approach unacceptability but are still not ideal, are hard to work on at heavy weights at which your "auto-pilot" kicks in and you resort to your pre-programmed motor pattern to get back up out of.

At the same time, this day must not be so heavy that it is, in and of itself, a new stimulus/stress to be recovered from, because it will take the 3-4 days to recover from the previous heavy squat session and be ready to add weight to the next. But it also can't be so light that the weight isn't even felt, or the weight of the lifter/barbell system is SO different in a work-set compared to light day that the feeling of keeping that system weight over mid-foot isn't even simulated on the light day. Then no technique practice has been accomplished. (The getting increased blood flow to the area will probably still help with recovery even at lighter weights, however.)

All that said, 80% is not set in stone. I always tell lifters to err on the lighter side, but it'll probably end up being around 70-80%. 60% of the working weight isn't "wrong," per se, but is probably too light for almost all Advanced Novices to provide meaningful technique practice. When would 60% of Monday's workload be more appropriate on Wednesday? Only if the fatigue from Monday's workout is deep, and the soreness intense. Otherwise, Advanced Novices should probably be handling at least 70% on light day, closer to 80% if it's not too much.

At periods later in someone's training career, this of course will be very different. This is specifically about the Advanced Novice stage.

In many ways (though not perfectly so), a press is automatically "light day" for bench. This is less the case when you're pushing press to the end of its limits on LP, but for the majority of the program it serves that way.

And PC and later PS, are "light days" for deadlifts. The longer ROM of the olympic variants does increase the total work done but they're so much lighter that they still provide recovery for the muscles involved. I've never coached a single lifter who had an issue with their heavy DL anywhere in the Novice program because of the cleans and/or snatches they did. Whereas almost every lifter's PC and/or PS are limited at the end of their LP because of residual fatigue carried from their heavy squats and DLs.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-13-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks for this - I never fully understood the light day, and this provides a clear and rational explanation, in a nice tidy package.

We do what we can.

Michael, thank you for the detailed reply and tips on setting the 60-80% range on light day. A few follow up questions:

1) When comparing different exercises (press versus bench versus incline press, etc.) it sounds like the load determines what is "light" for novices, even if all the movements are 5RM max efforts? Is this why more programming attention is required to progress bench and press equally during late adv. novice and intermediate programs? Said another way, a 5RM press is no longer "light" for an intermediate so intensity needs to be varied below 5RM to facilitate recovery?
    2) For HLM programs, is the medium day there for (weekly) volume? I agree that once I get over 80% 5RM I'm in "auto-pilot" mode with regards to form.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Michael, thank you for the detailed reply and tips on setting the 60-80% range on light day. A few follow up questions:

1) When comparing different exercises (press versus bench versus incline press, etc.) it sounds like the load determines what is "light" for novices, even if all the movements are 5RM max efforts? Is this why more programming attention is required to progress bench and press equally during late adv. novice and intermediate programs? Said another way, a 5RM press is no longer "light" for an intermediate so intensity needs to be varied below 5RM to facilitate recovery?
    2) For HLM programs, is the medium day there for (weekly) volume? I agree that once I get over 80% 5RM I'm in "auto-pilot" mode with regards to form.
    1. I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but if I do, then yes - a 5RM or close to 5RM press is not light for an Intermediate so this needs to be taken into account with regards to programming.

2. HLM is such a broad descriptor with hundreds or thousands of ways to run it - it's an organizational template more than a program, even more so than the TM probably - so this will depend on the specifics of the program as run by that individual for that time period. I think in many simple versions of HLM the answer will be yes, but it really depends.

Think about it this way: you can run a HLM program where the heavy day rotates between 3s, 2s, and 1s, each week, and over 12 weeks you hit a new 1RM - weeks 1-3 is 90% of that RM, weeks 4-6 is 93%, weeks 7-9 is 96% and then weeks 10-12 you go for a new 3, 2, and 1 RM, respectively. In such a program, heavy day wouldn't really be a major contributor of volume.

But in another iteration, heavy day could rotate between fives and triples: 3 sets of 5, and 3 sets of 3, each starting at 90% of their respective RM, adding 2.5 lbs per week for 6 weeks. With medium day always being 3 sets of 5 at 90% of whatever the most recent heavy day was. In this iteration, heavy day is also a significant part of the volume stimulus.

You can come up with a hundred other possibilities in about an hour.