starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Build a Home Gym

Default How to Build a Home Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

​A serviceable home gym for barbell training need not be a gigantic investment, and in fact should be very simple. A bar, some plates, a rack of some type to facilitate the squat and the pressing exercises, a simple flat bench for the bench press, and a platform for deadlifts is all that is absolutely required. For power cleans and snatches, a few bumper plates are quite useful but not absolutely necessary.

Read article

This is basically what I did. However, just wanted to share a decent cage that was very cheap and free shipping.

Cage: Titan T-2 Series Power Rack Lift Cage Bench Rack Squat Deadlift stand cross fit
    Rubber Mats: 4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat - For Life Out Here

My only problem is ceiling height. I need to box out/reinforce the floor joists that are over somehow so that I can press. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be interested.

Anyone reading this near Exeter, Southwest England, there's a guy on Gumtree selling seconds of horse/cow rubber matting. I think he must work in the factory making them. I've brought two off him, they only had a tiny tear in a corner. Believe I paid £15 each they've lasted eight months so far absolutely fine!

Does the rubber horse mat absorb any of the force trying to be applied to the bar? Forgive me, I'm not familiar with the product.

None. They are barely compressible.

Quote Originally Posted by blainsmith View Post
    This is basically what I did. However, just wanted to share a decent cage that was very cheap and free shipping.

Cage: Titan T-2 Series Power Rack Lift Cage Bench Rack Squat Deadlift stand cross fit
    Rubber Mats: 4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat - For Life Out Here

My only problem is ceiling height. I need to box out/reinforce the floor joists that are over somehow so that I can press. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be interested.
    You should check out the garage gym thread in the training forum:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...-gyms-400.html

The basement ceiling problem has come up several times over the last few years. There was just a discussion last week. There is no good solution. Press seated or take it outside seems to be the way to go. I wouldn't start cutting up floor joists! It's not easy to distribute the load. Some people have dug pits. But that's going to become a pond in most places. . . .

The Titan T-3 is a superior rack for not much more money. It's a clone of the Rogue R3. It too has been discussed extensively in the garage gym thread. It even has its own thread.

There are other excellent equipment recommendations in that thread. For instance, if your budget is tight, the general consensus around here is that the Cap OB-86B barbell is the way to go. Of course, much better can be had, but not for just about $100 dollars. I'd just save up another $100 or so and get a better bar, but not everyone can do that. . . . .

There are a few ideas for cheap benches, but no clear winner.

What thickness would you recommend for the plywood boards?

Very good article. Living in a large city, in an apartment, I cannot construct such a structure simply because the weights my disrupt the structural integrity of the building.

First thing I do when I buy a house, convert a part of the basement to such a gym. A shrine, really.

Mark, are you going to expand to Montreal? Montreal needs you. We need sanity in coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by blainsmith View Post
    Same issue for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a home gym, but ceiling height has me concerned.

My basement Ceiling is 85.5" floor to drop ceiling (I didn't factor in width of tape measure base) and 90.5" floor to rafters. I'm 6'1 tall.

starting strength coach development program
    Is it ill advised to only use two layers of the rubber horse mat on a concrete floor (in order to keep the platform shorter, due to low ceiling)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast