starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why You Should Not Be Running

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherm Churlish View Post
    but what else would get a person ready for having to grab their toddler and run for ten miles, if need be?
    Let's say the toddler/child weighs 45 pounds. Do you think that 45 pounds of extra mass will be more of a challenge for a weak, endurance-trained 160 pound runner or for a strong, strength-trained 220 pounder who doesn't run. I highly doubt that a well-trained runner could sustain themselves long while running with 45 pounds of mass. It is a much higher load relative to their strength than it is for a strong person.

I also have to do an annual fitness test, but to be fair the Royal Navy has set it very low compared to the British army or the Royal Marines. But nonetheless I always felt it was something I should train for, maybe not year round, but certainly on approaching the date due. In doing so I would end up dropping my body weight from 95 kg (209 lb) to 87.5 kg (192.5 lb) and lose a lot of progress I had made on strength over the previous year.

Well I had read somewhere recently that the average powelifter has a vo2max of 45-50 (whatever the units are). We get s choice of a mile and a half run or a multistage fitness test (bleep test). When I looked up the level I needed to get to it only equates to a vo2max of 45. So since I had been training like a power lifter (maybe? Texas method) over the last year I decided to put it to the test.

I did the test at 5 foot 11, 33 years old at 105 kg (231 lb) bidyweight with absolutely no cardio for a year. And sure enough I passed. I couldn't have done any more shuttles right enough, but scraped through the minimum standard for a male at my age anyway at the heaviest I've ever been.

It's definitely changed my opinion on conditioning.

Well, I am new to the forum but since we are talking about cardio-strength and toddlers ;-), I can relate and I can agree that cardio sucks. (And we all agree that cardio its better than watch tv and eat junk food) I am 44 y/o 180 lb. who for the last 15 years have been a total cardio junkie. Triathlons/races/cycling, etc you get the idea. I started SS a bit over 2 months ago and my lifts as of this week are: Press-115lb from an empty bar. DL 255 from 95. Squat 225 lb from 105 and bench 180 lb from 85 (When I started lifting my goal was to bench my body weight)
    Anyways, going back to the toddler thing, my toddler hates the stroller and more often than not I have to carry her on my shoulders and since I started the SS thing I feel like I can walk with her on my top all day whereas before I would be really tired after 20-25 min.
    I currently run 5k with a friend once a week and I feel more sore and achy from that than any lifting session.

Vav, I hear you. I didn't run for maybe two years and this spring I finally reached a BMI of over 25, which in these forums is considered to be at the lower end of the "normal heterosexual bodyweight"-spectrum. So I started thinking that some cardio might not be a bad idea. This was just over a month ago. "A little cardio never hurt anyone". That is the logic of an addict. "I can handle this". Just this weekend I ran 15k.

It is a sickness, I tell you. Like alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    "A little cardio never hurt anyone". That is the logic of an addict. "I can handle this". Just this weekend I ran 15k.

It is a sickness, I tell you. Like alcoholism.
    Spot on correct! Take it from someone who ran numerous marathons. It is a total Addiction! I still love to run in the woods once and a while (did a mile and a half yesterday in the trails, slowly) which means I am not doing the program correctly. Part of it is just my love of being out in the woods. Society has brainwashed me that running is the best thing for me, however today my knee is throbbing and when I lift later I am sure I will be tanked.

"The Struggle is Real!"

Sparky

Doing competitive anything is not usually good for you. Running marathons or pulling 700+ in a meet aren't making you healthier. These things are done with competitive mindset and should be held apart from such subjects as "health".

As for the original question: I feel it is important for me to run and be able to do stuff besides lifting. I would not be very happy if I could squat 600+, but could not run a mile with a decent time. This does not mean everybody lifting weights should run, there is of course always a tradeoff. If one is going for a PL meet, running probably won't help him much.

As for the easy, low impact conditioning, such as walks or biking - I'm all for it. It does not interfere with recovery, quite contrary. Like many people here have witnessed too. I honestly believe most lifters toss this out too easily.

I quit running when I started the strict novice program. Now that it's getting a bit colder, I decided to run a mile to warm up. I ran my fastest mile last week.

starting strength coach development program
    I think there is benefit in easy cardio and very hard cardio, but having read "barbell prescription" I have decided to do only the c2 rower, only do intervals, 1- 5 mins each. I do these on the rest days between lifting days. As soon as my lifts stop progressing I will cut these back to a max of twice per week. I read that there is no better marker for longevity than the VO2 max. According to my garmin mine is fair but not good. In my late fifties, 5.7", 180lbs, i take that seriously, hence the interval training though i agree it will be a negative for the lifting, but rowing seems to be a favourite of strong people, no impact and being big and strong is not incompatible with rowing well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12