starting strength gym

Thread: The Real Purpose of Steroids | Mark Rippetoe

Default The Real Purpose of Steroids | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Athletes take steroids to get stronger. That’s the only reason they take steroids. Bodybuilders take steroids to build muscle mass and preserve it while they drop bodyfat, but athletes take steroids to get strong. They work by aiding in recovery so that harder training can be done, speeding the healing of injuries, and by making muscles bigger.

Read article

"But with the recent emphasis on dance routines instead of actual strength work....."

Loved that phrase. The worst part is that the dance routines are being done on the DL platforms. Is nothing sacred?
    Keep your damn parlor tricks and dance routines in the Zumba classes. The power rack and platform are for strength not dancing.

One of the best articles ever anywhere on the subject.

So why is it worth the risk, and why do athletes continue to provoke the righteous indignation of pompous, self-serving, pathetic morons like Senator John McCain by taking steroids?
    Reading the article today (7 Sep 2018), as posted "From the Archives" on the front page of startingstrength.com, after the death of Sen. McCain ... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

John McCain was all about doing things the right way, even when hard, and not the easy way when it would be wrong. If he can decline early release when he was in the Hanoi Hilton, we can decline to take steroids. Yes, John McCain can be an example even for us lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    John McCain was all about doing things the right way, even when hard, and not the easy way when it would be wrong.
    A rather charitable assessment of John McCain. I assume you think that the Senate spent its time wisely by investigating steroids. This is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Reading the article today (7 Sep 2018), as posted "From the Archives" on the front page of startingstrength.com, after the death of Sen. McCain ... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    What does his recent death have to do with his position on the subject?

Wonderful article

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A rather charitable assessment of John McCain. I assume you think that the Senate spent its time wisely by investigating steroids.
    Coach Rippetoe, I understand your point to be that it is not the government's role to police the use of steroids. I am unqualified to offer an opinion about your political views. I should have been clearer that by looking to McCain's pre-political life as an example, taking the difficult but right path is an area of agreement between your counsel against steroids and LCDR McCain's refusal to take early release as a prisoner in Hanoi.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow Rip, excellent article! The more I read from you the more I like you, with one caveat. I’m a ribeye guy.