starting strength gym

Thread: The Mathematical Nature of Strength Training

Default The Mathematical Nature of Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Few things could be simpler: use a few exercises that work as much of the body at one time as possible, find out how strong you are now on these exercises, and next time you train, lift a little heavier weight. Just a little. It’s the same process you used to learn to read, to play the guitar, to get a suntan, and to finish your master’s thesis.

Read Article

Default Spaced repetition?

Hey coach, do you think that the concept of spaced repetition (Spaced repetition - Wikipedia) could be useful in making strength training more efficient? I know I've used this technique to learn new languages as well as a musical instrument. So, I was wondering if it would make sense to use these learning models in strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

Few things could be simpler: use a few exercises that work as much of the body at one time as possible, find out how strong you are now on these exercises, and next time you train, lift a little heavier weight. Just a little. It’s the same process you used to learn to read, to play the guitar, to get a suntan, and to finish your master’s thesis.

Read Article

I don't know.

Just saw this article linked from the Twitter account. Didn't know you played cornet.

I play professionally in a national level orchestra, and am currently preparing for another audition using something resembling the NLP to drive the initial preparation. Thought I'd mention that a linear progression model can be applied with great effect to music performance, including to what most people would call high level performance by high level performers.

For most people, a linear progression model can get you 99% of the way there if you have the time (and patience) to go through it. Just take the tempo, subtract 30, and work on everything with maximum emphasis on correct technique and phrasing. Note: if you can't play it perfectly at -30, find the tempo where you CAN play it perfectly and start there. Next session, click up one notch on the metronome. By the time you work up to full speed you've got about a month of flawless execution backing you up. It's a really good way to get something build solidly, and has the wonderful side effect of causing big foundational playing improvements since you're thinking about bow stroke or efficient breathing or coordination and not so much on the notes themselves. There are a few other aspects to this but the structure is straight out of Starting Strength.

Once the initial progression is complete, you can definitely play a concert on the materials you worked out. But if you need to go beyond that, like for something high stakes like an audition or a recording session - it can be helpful to do a few things differently in the last few weeks. Recording/review, various periodization strategies for detail work, audition simulation to develop the "one shot one kill" skillset and mindset, etc.

But the foundation - of all of it - is built on the linear progression.

We'll see how it works on this audition. If I win I'll let you know. Hell, if I lose I'll let you know too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipyaad View Post
    Just saw this article linked from the Twitter account. Didn't know you played cornet.

I play professionally in a national level orchestra, and am currently preparing for another audition using something resembling the NLP to drive the initial preparation. Thought I'd mention that a linear progression model can be applied with great effect to music performance, including to what most people would call high level performance by high level performers.

For most people, a linear progression model can get you 99% of the way there if you have the time (and patience) to go through it. Just take the tempo, subtract 30, and work on everything with maximum emphasis on correct technique and phrasing. Note: if you can't play it perfectly at -30, find the tempo where you CAN play it perfectly and start there. Next session, click up one notch on the metronome. By the time you work up to full speed you've got about a month of flawless execution backing you up. It's a really good way to get something build solidly, and has the wonderful side effect of causing big foundational playing improvements since you're thinking about bow stroke or efficient breathing or coordination and not so much on the notes themselves. There are a few other aspects to this but the structure is straight out of Starting Strength.

Once the initial progression is complete, you can definitely play a concert on the materials you worked out. But if you need to go beyond that, like for something high stakes like an audition or a recording session - it can be helpful to do a few things differently in the last few weeks. Recording/review, various periodization strategies for detail work, audition simulation to develop the "one shot one kill" skillset and mindset, etc.

But the foundation - of all of it - is built on the linear progression.

We'll see how it works on this audition. If I win I'll let you know. Hell, if I lose I'll let you know too.
    So glad you posted this method! I've been looking for other applications of the LP principle and had not given a thought to making tempo the variable for intensity. Very cool. Now I'll have to find the right application.

starting strength coach development program
    Saw the repost of the article today, and wanted to post a quick thanks.

In winter '14/'15, we were putting up an addition, with more basement space on the way. Over that time, I saw posts from Mr. Rippetoe, including this one, on PJM. The simplicity and elegance of the approach immediately grabbed my attention, so I planned on getting some weights at home, and pursuing the program.

Once things settled down, I went and bought the equipment I needed in June of '15, and started on my way. The next serendipitous piece of the puzzle came the next morning when I met with some special needs folks at my church, and one of them was wearing a Special Olympics medal. I congratulated him, and asked what sport the medal was for. To my surprise, it was powerlifting! I hadn't even known they had that in Special Olympics

Fast forward a bit, I prompted the head of my son's Special Olympics program to start powerlifting. And, since no good deed goes unpunished, I became the coach, because I was the only person handy who knew anything about powerlifting! Now, after 5 years, we have 6 members of the squad (including the man from my church who clued me in to the existence of SO powerlifting), and have seen a couple of them really get in good shape, get strong, and see marked improvements in their health. And I got to meet Mark Hurling, from these forums, at the state tourney in 2019. I hope we can return to state competitions in 2022.

So, to Mr. Rippetoe, and the rest of the SS community, thanks for setting me on the path of strength training, and all the benefits, both physical and social, I have gained because of it!