starting strength gym

Thread: Age and Bodyfat

Default Age and Bodyfat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

​I read the comments on these articles, you know. “Rip's a fat guy. Don't believe anything he says about fitness.” “Fit people don't look like Rip's fat ass. Run awaaaaay!!” As I sit here finishing the last of an unclaimed birthday cake from Kroger, listening to Chicago's “Free Form Guitar” on repeat, this harshness brings a tear to my bloodshot piggish little eyes. People are so hateful sometimes. Usually they're just stupid and ignorant, and that can be interpreted as hateful.​

Read article

Mark, your article is totally correct and many of life's circumstances makes it even more totally correct. I began to seriously follow your 'Starting Strength' instructions 5 years ago. On July 14th, 2015, I had my second workout of that week. My overhead press was 140lbs, squat 275lbs and deadlift 350lbs. Unfortunately, two days later I had a grand mal seizure, my only one in my life and landed on a concrete floor. I found out later that migraine headaches and epilepsy are in the same medical family which means if you get migraines you can be susceptible to seizures. I ended up with a crushed shoulder ball, fracture wrist, broken 2 ribs and temporary nerve damage to my left leg. It took 2 months to find the surgeon, Dr. Xavier Duralde, willing to do the necessary surgery to replace the shoulder ball with a prosthetic. The other surgeons refused because it was too serious to try to do. It took another almost 2 months to have the surgery, as they say...when you need the best, you wait for the best. It has been a long road to recovery. I can now overhead press now about 65 lbs which is good because I started rehabbing 3 months after surgery with a 1lb pink dumbbell. A month ago I started doing squats. The problem was finding the correct position for my hand as not to cause any shoulder pain. The rest of the weight training is slow and steady. Thanks for your book, it was the perfect addition to my rehab. Oh by the way, I am turning 65 in 3 months.

Humorous and informative. Looking at the graph, it seems the "normal weight" zone needs to be shifted to the right and relabeled "healthy weight"! Thanks for putting my food baby into perspective for me.

Don't let Rip's higher bodyfat% fool you. Do you SEE the picture in the article? What is Rip leaning on exactly? That's right. His finger! Active finger drive displayed so nonchalantly is a true test of strength.

Such a great article, it's so refreshing to hear well informed people articulate this point so well.

I was reading an article in a primary care magazine I get and occasionally actually bother to read. It cited a study of BMI vs activity level and cardiovascular risk in the over 50s in several European countries, it concluded that:-

Our findings suggest that the beneficial impact of physical activity on CVD might outweigh the negative impact of body mass index among middle-aged and elderly people. This emphasizes the importance of physical activity for everyone across all body mass index strata, while highlighting the risk associated with inactivity even among normal weight people

Whilst I realise most people who truly understand the SS model will already be aware of studies and findings like these, sadly most of the population remain blissfully ignorant of it.

My background is in boxing. Here in Finland many of the best coaches openly admit that they never were that great in boxing themselves. Still they excel in coaching.

About Mr. Rippetoes abs, it would make it harder for me to believe in what he says if he would have a six-pack. Also having a belly doesn't prevent anyone to be strong.

There are and will always be many ways to do things and achieve goals, but coaches job is to make things black and white for the athlete. Coach may be wrong sometimes but it's his job to make decisions and that's the only way to do coaching. It's better to make even 50% wrong decisions than not to make them at all.

Another great article. I have been lifting for 55+ years always searching for the best programs, advice, techniques and tips to make me the strongest me I can become. Unfortunately, many of these years were spent in wasted effort. Only when I got a copy of Bill Starr's "Only the Strongest Shall Survive" did I start to follow a practical strength program. However, by far the most progress I have made is in the last couple of years, when at the age of 56, I came across the writings of Mark Rippetoe and switched to his system of training (although with less volumn as he has advised for older folks- only one top set). Assholes who give you crap about not looking like a puffed up bodybuilder are really missing the point. It is your efforts to provide the best systematic and scientific program and methods to gain the most functional strength in the most efficient manner that has made you the most influential strength coach that I can think of. Screw the dumbasses that just don't get it. Not much point in trying to understand idiots whose only use for a rack is when they are doing curls.

You mentioned the strategy to lose bf for those who have been fatter for a long time would require a different method. Can you elaborate?

A thorough write up explaining the simple truth that taking the time to get stronger is much more beneficial to the human body rather than running or walking or worrying about possessing visible abs. Great job, Rip!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynette View Post
    ...sadly most of the population remain blissfully ignorant of it.
    So true. Most people in life are content with not actually knowing.