starting strength gym

Thread: A Pilot Study of Strength Training in the Memory-Impaired Elderly

Default A Pilot Study of Strength Training in the Memory-Impaired Elderly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A Pilot Study of Strength Training in the Memory-Impaired Elderly: Reflections of a Coach

by Inna Koppel

It was my responsibility to teach participants – both those who had no cognitive impairment and those with memory problems and dementia – how to strength train in the structured environment of an assisted living facility.

For as much as they were my students, I was theirs. In my time with the study I learned a few things about training the frail, cognitively impaired elderly, and many things about the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease that went far beyond barbells.

Read article

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    A Pilot Study of Strength Training in the Memory-Impaired Elderly: Reflections of a Coach

by Inna Koppel

It was my responsibility to teach participants – both those who had no cognitive impairment and those with memory problems and dementia – how to strength train in the structured environment of an assisted living facility.

For as much as they were my students, I was theirs. In my time with the study I learned a few things about training the frail, cognitively impaired elderly, and many things about the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease that went far beyond barbells.

Read article

Thanks for your post. I take care of my grandparents, both of whom are octogenarians. My grandfather is 87 years old and suffers from some dementia due to a transient ischemic attack (or mini-stroke) that he had a few years ago. Both grandparents were national level athletes in their youth, and have preserved reasonably good health into this age. I really think they'd benefit from some form of strength training, and reading this just reinforces that thought.

Best article I have ever read on startingstrength.com, thank you.