starting strength gym

Thread: Functional Training: Diversity Is NOT Our Strength

Default Functional Training: Diversity Is NOT Our Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

In late 2014 I wrote an essay about “Functional Training” for T-Nation, the unedited version of which appears on our website. The basis of the argument is an analysis of the nature of training, the process by which a specific quantifiable physiological adaptation – strength, endurance, aerobic capacity, etc. – is accumulated over time, and the need for practice, by which the physical skills – the ability to execute the movement patterns dependent on accuracy and precision necessary for effective performance – are developed. Performance day depends on both training and practice. I revisit the topic here.

Read article

I understand Rip's logic in how a 500 lb deadlifter and 200 lb presser should throw a baseball faster than a 200 lb/75lb player. But I don't think real life always plays out that way. Pedro Martinez, for example, I doubt could ever dead 500 or press 200, but there are a whole lot of those guys that he throws harder than.

Here's an interesting quote:

And for the majority of the population, for whom the distinction between correlation and cause-and-effect is an impenetrable mystery, the fact that the Boston Bruins Strength and Conditioning program produces neither strength nor conditioning is an irrelevant aside from the fact that the team uses “Functional Training.”