starting strength gym

Thread: How to Pick Stuff Up

Default How to Pick Stuff Up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Rip shows you how to avoid a back injury by explaining the proper and safest way to pick up non-barbell shaped objects at home and at work.​

Watch video

This website is great, practical learning of dare I say, "functional activities" .

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

Rip shows you how to avoid a back injury by explaining the proper and safest way to pick up non-barbell shaped objects at home and at work.​

Watch video
    I'm almost 60 years old and prior to starting SS about two years ago I would have lifted things just like "everyone" said you should. However once I started deadlifting which is a lift I had never done before, it dawned on my that "they" were all wrong. Glad to see this video confirm that.

I work for a water utility company and my role requires moving and lifting heavy iron lids everyday. Every couple of years I go on a 'manual handling course' that supposedly shows us safe lifting techniques, they say things like 'use your big engines' (legs) 'jam donuts'(spinal disks) and 'lift inside your base' (midfoot). There is never a menton about keeping your spine in a fixed position to keep it safe and injury free. Every day I observe people casually picking things up in spinal flexion which is a disaster waiting to happen. One thing I have incorporated daily into my work is a strong valsalva and an awareness of my spinal position. Thanks to you and starting strength for this awareness.