starting strength gym
Page 2 of 355 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: KONG's Training and Self-rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat rehab: work: 245X5X3 (knee feeling more and more stable, groin pull pain is gradually fading away)
    Press: work: 223.75X5X3 - PR
    Deadlift rehab: work: 365X5 - super-easy...can't wait to get this back into the 400's next week.
    Chins: skipped this time out due to gym closing

I took an extra long time warming up for squats today first of all because of the knee but also because of the groin pull I felt in last session. The good news, both of those are improving and training through it is going to be the best approach to heal it. No other rehab will be necessary.

Did the opposite of last week with my pre-pressing meal. Recall last week, I spent a lot of time at the bar with some friends before hitting the gym and then I went on a mini-weekend vaca. So instead of having alcohol flowing through my system (stupid) like last week, I revved up my engine with caffeine this week. The first two sets of pressing were like cold butter, hard but smooth to cut through. The form was spot-on.

The last set was the ugliest piece of garbage I ever assembled. I did 2 reps in a row with a bounce, then lost a little balance, regrouped, and hit the third as a singleton, then powered through the fourth, paused for a second too long at the top, and then bounced the fifth out but it took a good 5-10 seconds to grind it out to lockout. Hey it was ugly but it counts. I think I may have not rested enough before that last set. Either that or I was overstoked and that got my groove messed up. There is just something about getting fives on the first two sets that just drive me to insanity to get five reps on the last set at any cost.

Then, I looked at the clock and remembered the early closing time on Friday nights. I only had a few minutes left. I banged out the deads with ease. Skipped the chins due to time. Eh, its just an assistance exercise anyways.

Happy about the progress being made and ready to hit a 225X5X3 Press next week(...if I'm not burnt out from doing practice bench pause singles on Monday), and ready to re-enter the 400 zone with my deads again with the rehab.

In due time...

Default Back on Skull Island tonight

By the Power of Greyskull...

Squat rehab: work: 255X5X3
    Bench: work: 365X5X3 - PR
    Pause Bench: 385X1 - PR...this will be my opener at the meet...good for a 20 lb meet PR on an opener.
    Deadlift rehab: work: 385X5
    Chins: 2 sets: 11, 4

I trained at Greyskull tonight--easily my favorite place to train. John helped me pick a meet opener for my bench. I tried it, John said the commands, and it went up. Very excited to hit this at the meet and also, to possibly break 400 on bench.

At the end of the workout, I was going to do my normal 5 set thing on chins...but John wanted to see the 20-rep chin up phenomena that happened a couple weeks ago. I only pulled out only 11. Fuck me. I think all the benching tired me out.

I live about 1.5 hrs away from Greyskull but work only 0.5 hr away (when there's no Phillies game traffic). So I'm up late tonight but the ride home is definitely worth the training experience and environment. When I got home, it was like Christmas. I saw that my Rehband warm pants had arrived. I ordered these this weekend because of the groin pull I had which is going away. I will probably use this piece of equipment to help it heal faster and keep it away once its gone. The left knee is slowly getting better at handling loads...and Friday I will be back in 400+ land with deadlifts. Making progress...

I'm only 5 hours away from Greyskull...sad face.

It was just me and JP when I went up...I'm looking forward to coming back up another day and meeting some of the guys.

I'm hoping my pending new job will let me travel to Philly area. I would f'ing love to train some at JP's.

Kong, I have two words for your press and bench. Fucking frightening. Nice work.

Thank you misspelledgeoff.
    Both you guys (misspelledgeoff and Squatson), if you are around in the area, give John a call or an email!

Went back to splitting up the workouts tonight, and the results were awesome

Press: work: 225x5x3 - PR back-off sets: 135x10 drop 95X8 drop barX5....awesome pump and left the building (the bodybuilder in me still likes a pump every once in a while.)

Here's a video of my first set (click image to go to vid):

So my first press workout was 10/17/2009 where I did 155X5X3
    1 month later, I hit 185X5X3 for the first time on 11/18/2009 for a 30 lb gain
    4 months later, I hit 205X5X3 for the first time on 3/30/2010 for a 20 lb gain
    Tonight, 6 months later, I hit 225X5X3 for the first time for another 20 lb gain

I'm noticing the pattern of diminishing returns. I had a goal of hitting 315 this year but I'm coming to the realization that it ain't gonna happen. At best if I follow the pattern I'm seeing here, it will take 8 months to get to 245X5x3, 10 months to 265X5X3, 12 months to 285X5x3, and 14 months to 305X5x3, for a total of 44 months or approximately 4 more years.

So here I am, setting a new goal for 2011. I will strive for 265X5X3 and hopefully will come close.

Not as energetic today...
    SQ rehab: work: 265X5X3
    DL rehab: work: 405X5
    Chins: 8,8,8

Double edged sword to deal with on the split routine is that while it is nice to have more time and focus on a lift, awesome days are usually followed up by sucky days...plus its hard to go straight from squats to deadlifts. Hard sucks but I still do it. I train at night so the second consecutive workout is usually preceeded with a low sleep level...which also sucks.
    The double edged sword with the full body routine is that the workouts take forever which doesn't always work well in my life, and no matter what (light squat or heavy squat) my presses (not benches) suffer..HMM...maybe I'll try pressing first if this is the case. I do prefer going into a workout feeling fresh and not like a sleep deprived rag doll.
    Everything sucks a little bit. (earmuffs)
    Good news is even though I wanted to sleep all workout, I got my deadlifts back into the 400's...which is pretty worth it. Also my warm pants kept my legs nice and warm all workout...but the groin was still somewhat uncomfortable. Knee is still improving though. Time time time...got to be patient.

"Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind."
    -Leonardo da Vinci

KONG, your upper body strength = retarded. What's your 1rm press? Let's race to 300 even though you will kick my ass. Competition is always fun.

Badass pressing my friend.

starting strength coach development program
    kSmash, I hope to be at your squatting level in by latest early 2011. Maybe we'll start the new contest after all these guys hit the 5/4/3/2 goal in 2010 and up the ante to 6/5/4/3 for 2011. I have no idea what my 1rm press is. I'd be down for the race though.

LV, thanks. I'm rooting for you to win the 5/4/3/2 contest going on in this board. Considering you hit 250 on BP, I'm thinking you could get to 300 this year with some specific bench programming and a few more pounds of bodyweight.

Page 2 of 355 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast