starting strength gym
Page 3 of 355 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: KONG's Training and Self-rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Went back to full body--weighed the benefits to the drawbacks and I can handle a long workout better than I can handle a zombie workout...

SQ rehab: work: 275X5X3
    BP "deload": work: 367.25X5 (only one set) - PR
    DL rehab (not sure if this is rehab anymore as I'm getting pretty close to old numbers): work: 425X5
    Dropped accessory

Forearms killed today from the forearm splints. Wrapped them up to sooth pain. This was most likely due to the drop sets on presses last week...which is why I normally don't do that stuff. Most times it isn't really worth it. The pump that is. You don't make progress on pumps. You make progress while recovering from stress of loading. Drop sets are a good way to kill progression. Bodybuilding silly bullshit. Good thing I'm taking it "easy" this week (that top set of bench was really hard especially with the forearm pain) to rest up for the meet. It should be healed up by Sunday.

The rest of the week will go like this:
    Thursday:
    Squat rehab 3X5, Press 1X5, no Deadlift, no chins, then cruise into the weekend.

SQ rehab: 285X5X3
    Press "deload": 226.25 X 4.5 (failed to complete 5th rep...only one set today) - PR
    NO Deads, no chins....

I think I'm going to transition to doing deadlifts once a week...as I could feel the effect of the deadlifts on my squats tonight. I felt slow...but I took video and it looked like a good speed. Feel and look are always two very different things. Anyway, I'm only 110 lbs away from my 3 sets of 5 PR on squats. Since I'm going at a rate of 20lb increases per week, I should be there in about five and a 1/2 weeks assuming my knee keeps holding up strong and my groin keeps getting better. I wore my sweats last workout versus my warm pants tonight. Last workout, I had no groin pain to speak of. This workout I had less and less groin pain as the workout went on. I think I'm going to stick with the sweats since they made me feel best....also, it could just be the deads lingering from Monday.

No idea what happened on presses today on that last rep. It should have kept moving up but I think I just got it out of the groove a little forward and it was just too hard to get back in. It will go up next time no doubt. Presses can be difficult like that sometimes.

I'll probably come up with a post meet plan on the fly on Monday.

WNPF LIFETIME DRUG FREE NATIONALS
    MEET REPORT

Summary: I had an awesome time. It was even better being in my wife's corner as she competed in her first meet.

I did bench only as I am in still in the process of re-working my squats and deads due to injuries. It was still a fun experience but man I can't wait to hit a heavy squat and dead in a meet. I hit two big time PR's. My second attempt on bench was a 10 lb PR with 395. My third attempt on bench was a 20 lb PR with 405!! Now all my PR's on the powerlifts are 400+ with deads in the lead with 500+. My ultimate goals are a 600 deadlift, 500 squat, and maybe mid-400 bench at this point.

It was also fun to lift alongside a fellow lifter from Greyskull Barbell and also some people I met in my previous meet.

Without further ado, the video:

Nice video man! That was raw right?

Yes Carnivroar...RAW.

Looking ahead:

Going to drastically drop my squat weights for a short period of time and just pound the reps so that I address this groin thing before it gets worse. I'll be back on the stick pretty soon once this is resolved. I will maintain the progression on the other slow lifts while I do this.

I want to do this because I feel that my left knee is getting back to its old strength (thanks to the deadlifts mostly where it gets to bear the most weight). However, I don't want a stupid adductor issue to hold me back once I'm at my old full strength which I feel is only a few weeks away.

I plan to hit 500 in my first full meet (hopefully end of this year or early next) on the squat and promptly addressing these small but critical issues are very important to the achieving this goal promptly.

In my first post in this log, I said, "I guess you can call me a competitive lifter." Now, I know I am a competitive lifter and I'm not fucking around.

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    Yes Carnivroar...RAW.
    Raw is the only way!

Congrats on the killer bench performance!

Good job Kong!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Damn KONG, that's some good shit right there.

Page 3 of 355 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast