starting strength gym
Page 133 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2006

Thread: Kyle's PL log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Shrugs are gay, Steve.

Down to 206 after a little "vacation" the last few days. Been eating like mad ever since I got out yesterday, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to life on the outside. Keep having nightmares about being attacked by giant slices of white bread and little pissed off bologna men. Ice Cube was wrong. You can't get swole off bread and water (or Kool-Aid).

8/30 (deload press)
    Press 135x10, 185x5,5,9 (very short rest, RPE 9 by last set))
    Pullupsx10,10,10,10,15

--I have a very precise method for determining my ideal weight. If I can't do 15 pullups, I'm too fat/heavy. If I can do more than 20, I'm too damn light. I'm definitely too light right now. Tuesday will be a very light deload squat, and same goes for bench Wed. By Friday, I'll be back to heaving pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    --I have a very precise method for determining my ideal weight. If I can't do 15 pullups, I'm too fat/heavy. If I can do more than 20, I'm too damn light. I'm definitely too light right now. Tuesday will be a very light deload squat, and same goes for bench Wed. By Friday, I'll be back to heaving pulling.
    That actually sounds like a pretty solid method. In which case I'm WAY too light, damnit. I realized that our squat + bench seem to be pretty similar (at least from the rep PR's I've seen you list lately)... But goddamn you have a monster deadlift! I need to gain 20 lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    That actually sounds like a pretty solid method. In which case I'm WAY too light, damnit. I realized that our squat + bench seem to be pretty similar (at least from the rep PR's I've seen you list lately)... But goddamn you have a monster deadlift! I need to gain 20 lbs...
    I think the deadlift actually benefits the least from weight gain. I pulled 610 in competition at 181 with minimal training. Had I trained as hard as I do now while keeping my bw low, I'd wager 700 at 181 would have been as attainable as it's proving to be at this higher bw. The squat and bench are where the bw proves most helpful, which is why I'm impressed when smaller guys like you (not that you're like Skillin small or anything) can put up such impressive #s on those lifts.

I will say that rep PR's aren't a good indication of my 1 rep max. I squatted 585 (sleeves only) in a meet a few weeks ago with a little in the tank. I skew strongly toward the fast twitch end of the spectrum and generally can hit higher maxes than my rep work would seem to indicate.

I think the deadlift actually benefits the least from weight gain.
    For better or worse, I agree. I pulled 639 at 255 in March, then pulled it again in June at 228, after dropping 23 lbs in 21 days. I got red-lighted for a hitch that I can't see on video, but I still locked it out. My squat took the biggest hit by far.

I think the deadlift actually benefits the least from weight gain.
    This has been my experience and observation as well.

smaller guys like you (not that you're like Skillin small or anything) can put up such impressive #s on those lifts.
    He's nowhere close to Skillin small, or Skillin weak. But I'm working on both, so I hope you have a new terminology/classification system on the ready.

I will say that rep PR's aren't a good indication of my 1 rep max. I squatted 585 (sleeves only) in a meet a few weeks ago with a little in the tank. I skew strongly toward the fast twitch end of the spectrum and generally can hit higher maxes than my rep work would seem to indicate.
    I've got the opposite situation. Your problem with the 1RM estimating formulas is a better one to have.

I think the deadlift actually benefits the least from weight gain. I pulled 610 in competition at 181 with minimal training. Had I trained as hard as I do now while keeping my bw low, I'd wager 700 at 181 would have been as attainable as it's proving to be at this higher bw. The squat and bench are where the bw proves most helpful, which is why I'm impressed when smaller guys like you (not that you're like Skillin small or anything) can put up such impressive #s on those lifts.

I also agree regarding weight gain and deadlift performance, I just meant that I'm still nowhere near my potential on ANY lift at ~190 lbs. #SkillinSmall

And yeah I noticed you're explosive as hell when you ripped 700 off the floor like nothing... It must be nice to have that kind of top-end efficiency. I think I'm starting to get better at converting my rep PRs to 1RM strength though, I'll keep chasing you and we'll see what happens next time I test my squat!

9/1 (deload squat)
    Squat 315 3x3, 405x1, 455x1
    Press 135 3x5

9/2 (deload bench)
    Bench 225 3x3
    Pullups bw+40x5,5,5,5,8,8
    Press 135 3x5

--Back to real weights on Friday. Probably something like a 625x3 pull on a stiff bar.

9/4
    Deadlift 625x3 (RPE 9, PR with a stiff bar, 5 second hold at top of last rep, grip felt great)
    Snatch grip deadlift 405x3, 455x3, 495x3, 535x3

starting strength coach development program
    9/5
    Press 225x4,4,4 (RPE 9,9,9.5)
    DB row 120 3x20

--Grip definitely is coming along.