starting strength gym
Page 92 of 115 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting to Win

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It depends. What are your goals? Competitive powerlifting? Maximum muscle growth? Or just make good gains and stay healthy?

37 years old doesn't mean shit to me, by the way. It's true that, in general, the older the trainee the more likely it is they are going to have impaired recovery, but I've worked with some people that age who recover better than me. My entire lifestyle is constructed to promote recovery, too. So, yeah, it depends is the unfortunate and annoying answer here.

I don't like four day splits for maximum results unless you simply can't recover from more. In this case though, you're working with Jordan so just trust him. He knows what he is doing.

What are your thoughts on a standard 4 day upper/lower split with some added bench assistance on the lower days? 2x a week squat and deadlift, 4x benching of some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    My entire lifestyle is constructed to promote recovery, too.
    I was going to say "except the drinking," but then I realized I haven't seen you mention that recently. Did you cut back, or just stop logging it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    What are your thoughts on a standard 4 day upper/lower split with some added bench assistance on the lower days? 2x a week squat and deadlift, 4x benching of some variety.
    3/2/1 is the lower end of what I see working really, really well for some people. That is bench/squat/deadlift frequency. So, that could definitely work really well as long as you're squatting both days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I was going to say "except the drinking," but then I realized I haven't seen you mention that recently. Did you cut back, or just stop logging it?
    Today is exactly 90 days sober.

BW: 194.2lbs (-0.8lbs)
    Waist: 36.5" (-.25")
    Neck: 17.5" (0)
    Navy BF: 19.3%

I changed my body type to normal physique from overweight physique because I'm under 20% now. That jumped my protein up like 25g. I also switched to moderate fat loss but avatar drastically reduced my macros regardless because I entered my average weight from last week (194.77lbs). I'll be using an average weight from now on but it sucks for this week because obviously it reduced my macros due to the fact it thinks I lost a quarter of a pound.

My new macros are like 182p/211c/45f. Poverty macros and I'm only five weeks deep. Next time I'll be using average weight from the beginning and I will not use the moderate fat loss setting again as there was really nothing moderate about it.

Not super impressed with Avatar thus far but some of this is my own fault due to not using average weekly weight from the beginning and selecting a faster setting. I should not be at sub 2000kcal five weeks into a diet, though. I've lost 10lbs in five weeks and it keeps overreacting to single week results and lowering further when it isn't necessary. I will lose 3lbs this week, watch. And my training will suffer with the macros this low.

Oh, well. I'll write a review in another five months or so.

3-1-0 Tempo Squat /w Belt: in KG
    175x5@7
    185x5@8
    195x5@9 (430lbs)
    5kg PR

RDL /w Belt, Straps:
    175x6
    185x6
    195x5, I fell backwards
    195x6
    I wanna "RDL" 500lbs soon.

Seated Cable Row /w Triangle Handle:
    200lbs x 8 x 5
    I'm about to max this machine out. It's cool but sad.

Since you're cutting now, have you thought about doing a video on programming during a cut?

Semi-serious answer to programming while cutting: change nothing. This is assuming you're cutting slowly (0.5-1.0% BW lost per week), not getting too lean (less than 10-12% for most males), and you're taking regular breaks (~12 weeks or so) to avoid large, negative changes to the hormonal milieu. If you're doing all that, basically dieting correctly and patiently with performance as the priority, you MIGHT consider dropping a set or two throughout the week. Otherwise, your MAV/MRV really should not be affected that much.

But yeah, it's worth a video. I've got a long list of shit to talk about eventually.

Today's training footage:
    My Experience With Alcohol and Training - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Semi-serious answer to programming while cutting: change nothing. This is assuming you're cutting slowly (0.5-1.0% BW lost per week), not getting too lean (less than 10-12% for most males), and you're taking regular breaks (~12 weeks or so) to avoid large, negative changes to the hormonal milieu. If you're doing all that, basically dieting correctly and patiently with performance as the priority, you MIGHT consider dropping a set or two throughout the week. Otherwise, your MAV/MRV really should not be affected that much.
    Cool. It'd be great if you could talk about novices finishing LP transitioning into a cut. Feel like that's a common scenario that doesn't get addressed much. Advice here is usually "finish LP and then worry about weight loss" without much on where to go after that.

BTW I've listened to almost all the videos. They're great, thanks.

I made the same mistake with Avatar; put in an actual weight the first week, then went to average the next - sucked a bit as I'd actually lost more weight than it appeared, and it didn't increase my macros as much as I'd hoped. I ended up changing plan anyway, but then my situation is different from yours.

Hope you can tough it out on those macros, they are lower than mine and I am still struggling a bit!

Nice squatz, congrats on the PR.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, guys.

A whole video on novice transitioning in general is a really worthwhile topic.

BW: 193.2lbs
    Shrinking daily.

2ct Pause Bench:
    120x5
    125x5@9ish
    120x5x4
    Either I suck at this variation or I've really regressed out of nowhere.

TnG Flatback, Feet-up Bench:
    90kg x 10
    95kg x 10 @ 6ish
    100kg x 10 @ 8ish

LTEs:
    EZ Bar + 50lbs x 10 x 2
    EZ Bar + 70lbs x 15
    EZ Bar + 80lbs x 8
    EZ Bar + 75lbs x 10

Hammer Curls:
    40s x 11,10,6,6
    30s x 11

Weird workout. Hopefully I get a macro boost next week. I'm gonna have to consider reversing already and it has only been six weeks lol. Unbelievable.

Page 92 of 115 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast