starting strength gym
Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting to Win

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Did this exchange inspire you to make this video? Or is that just a coincidence? Either way, thanks.

Someone with good work capacity can crank out 9x5@70-75% with 2-3 minutes rest easily. This is common in RTS programming. That's just regular training, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Who is doing 9sx5r at 75% with 2-3 mins rest? Mike T is the only person I've seen claim this. Maybe 5 mins... I know I have shit work capacity, but 2-3 mins sounds crazy for that percentage and rep scheme.

I believe elevated respiration and heart rate means shit about readiness for the next set. I agree with Tom's ascertion about work capacity for the prepared athlete. The gain lbm while on a deficit is a huge unknown. I don't like absolutes, they reveal what we don't understand. Adequate stimulation, hormones and protein seem to be important.

Hanley was the inspiration for that one actually. Just the topic in general reminded me of how common it is to see powerlifters over-rest.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

I've heard Jordan's argument that it is impossible to gain muscle while losing fat. However, in my personal experience I was able to go from 203 pounds (~23%bf) to 190 pounds (~20% bf) over about 10 weeks and all of my lifts increased. I kept doing the same program that I had been running for about 5 months prior so I definitely do not believe there was any significant improvement to neural efficiency. I lost the weight by cutting back, not eliminating, junk calories (i.e. snack food, desserts, alcohol, processed food, etc.) The simplest explanation seems to me that I lost fat and gained muscle. If that's not possible than what happened?

BW: 193.2lbs

Competition Squat /w Belt: in KG
    190x5
    205x5@8, shoulda stayed here
    217.5x5@10, lol
    This was my third squat session this week so I had no business attempting a PR but I guess I have no discipline or respect for the process. 480lbs x 5 is a 5lbs PR. Cool to do it while fatigued but also stupid to do, too. I can't build on this next week.

Medium Grip Pause Bench:
    110x6
    120x6
    130x6@9.75-10
    125x6@9.5
    This was another case of EGO lifting. Pinkies on rings. Idk what I'm doing today.

Hammer Curl:
    35sx15,15,10
    30sx10

GHR:
    BW+EZ Curl x 10 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I've heard Jordan's argument that it is impossible to gain muscle while losing fat. However, in my personal experience I was able to go from 203 pounds (~23%bf) to 190 pounds (~20% bf) over about 10 weeks and all of my lifts increased. I kept doing the same program that I had been running for about 5 months prior so I definitely do not believe there was any significant improvement to neural efficiency. I lost the weight by cutting back, not eliminating, junk calories (i.e. snack food, desserts, alcohol, processed food, etc.) The simplest explanation seems to me that I lost fat and gained muscle. If that's not possible than what happened?
    Maybe because that junk had a lot of carbohydrates and salt so when you stopped eating them, you lost a lot of water. As explained here The Energy Balance Equation : Bodyrecomposition

starting strength coach development program
    Another great video. I think everyone who's picked up a barbell is guilty of overreaching.

If you're looking for topics, I'd be interested in a video on mobility and warming up. I joined a black iron gym recently, and it seems like everyone does 15-20 minutes of mobility work as a warmup. Foam rolling, stretching, banded walks, etc.

Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast