starting strength gym
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikhil's Competitive Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just show them Jesse Norris' forward lean and say you squat like him and not like Dave Hoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    I think their heads will explode when they watch you squat.

Have a nice Christmas!
    Hah, maybe I SHOULD join them and bring a copy of SS:BBT as well. Have a great Christmas as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Just show them Jesse Norris' forward lean and say you squat like him and not like Dave Hoff.

So beautiful.

Are you experiencing a performance drop after the meet? My training hasn't been all that great since the meet. Definitely in a valley. Also, missed a week of training and that did a number. I'm hoping it pick back up by next week.

I'm guessing you are starting a new cycle as I see lower intensity and more volume.

About caffeine, have you tried caffeine pills? I recently got on them, and take like a pill and a half (300 mg) before my sessions. I do experience the increased focus, but it's more subtle.

Oh yeah, and tempo squats are a bitch.
    Last edited by Randeep Khaund; 12-25-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randeep Khaund View Post
    Are you experiencing a performance drop after the meet? My training hasn't been all that great since the meet. Definitely in a valley. Also, missed a week of training and that did a number. I'm hoping it pick back up by next week.

I'm guessing you are starting a new cycle as I see lower intensity and more volume.

About caffeine, have you tried caffeine pills? I recently got on them, and take like a pill and a half (300 mg) before my sessions. I do experience the increased focus, but it's more subtle.

Oh yeah, and tempo squats are a bitch.
    The first week back definitely felt brutal and I felt my performance was down because of general fatigue. This week my E1RMs probably are a bit lower, but I THINK it's because I'm working in a higher rep range that I'm not accustomed to. Either that or the RPE chart I'm using isn't accurate at rep ranges > 5.

Yeah, starting a nice long cycle since my next week is the last weekend of April. Plenty of time to get volume in.

I've tried caffeine pills, but I couldn't time them well. I'm thinking I might use truenutrition.com to build my own preworkout blend with caffeine and beta alanine.

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    The first week back definitely felt brutal and I felt my performance was down because of general fatigue. This week my E1RMs probably are a bit lower, but I THINK it's because I'm working in a higher rep range that I'm not accustomed to. Either that or the RPE chart I'm using isn't accurate at rep ranges > 5.

Yeah, starting a nice long cycle since my next week is the last weekend of April. Plenty of time to get volume in.

I've tried caffeine pills, but I couldn't time them well. I'm thinking I might use truenutrition.com to build my own preworkout blend with caffeine and beta alanine.
    I'm seeing something similar myself. With my new macrocycle I'm doing a better job of tracking my e1Rm.

I'll have to check out truenutrition.com.

Friday, December 26th, 2014
    Bodyweight: BUY A SCALE NIKHIL GODDAMN.

Paused Squat
    245 x 5 @ 7.5
    260 x 5 @ 8.5
    265 x 5 @ 9
    E1RM: 315.5 lbs

Bench Press (TnG)
    170 x 5 @ lol
    185 x 5 @ 8.5
    195 x 5 @ 8.5
    Called it here because I couldn't find a spotter, but 200 x 5 should have been doable.
    E1RM: 237.8 lbs

Press
    95 x 10 @ 8-ish
    100 x 5 @ 10
    90 x 6 @ 10
    E1RM: 137.7 lbs

Notes:
    1) I suck at judging RPEs on the press. A small jump in weight kills my ability to get reps, but probably the fatigue of the 10 prior reps kicked in.
    2) Bench pressing was significantly better today vs last week's 175 x 5 @ 9. I ended up leaving a little on the table but that's fine, it gives me something to grow into over the next couple of months. I took a slightly wider grip today and it made a world of difference. I'll continue to play with grip width, but this seems to be the magic placement
    3) Pretty sure my paused squat E1RM is a PR. I expect that I SHOULD be good for a 335 beltless squat and a 360-ish comp squat.

Saturday, December 27th, 2014
    Merged my last training day and first GPP session of the week. The holidays got the best of me.

Paused Deadlifts
    275 x 5 @ 7.5
    295 x 5 @ 8
    315 x 5 @ 9
    The pause was a little too short for my liking on the top set but meh.
    E1RM: 375 lbs

Slingshot Bench Press (TnG)
    195 x 5 @ 7.5
    210 x 5 @ 8
    225 x 4 @ 10
    E1RM: 252.8 LBS

DB Rows
    60 lbs x 52 reps in 10 minutes

Weighted Situps
    35 lbs x 22 reps x death
    Mega cramp. Lots of caffeine + lots of water = a need for more BCAAs intraworkout

HIIT
    Airdyne intervals
    0:15 on, 1:45 off, 6 rounds

Notes:
    I need to be stricter on the pause on the deadlifts. Trying to get psyched up for the pulls made me really aggressive and just tore the bar off the floor. I don't even know if I paused the first rep to be honest.

Slingshot benching is fun. I should have taken 215 or 220 for my top set, but two plates seemed more fun and I'm a child. Anyway, I missed the last rep because 1) I'm too weak, 2) I misgrooved the bar and launched it over my face, and 3) I lost my hip tension and my ass came off the bench (probably led to the misgroove). I should be a little stricter here about checking the RPE chart and sticking to the plan.

Otherwise, GPP was fine - the airdyne kicked my ass so I kept the intervals a touch shorter. I'll try again tomorrow since I still have more GPP for this week.

Sunday, December 28th, 2014
    Bodyweight: 165.0 lbs
    GPP

DB Rows
    60 lbs x 60 reps in 10 minutes

Ab Wheel from knees
    72 reps in 10 minutes

HIIT
    Airdyne intervals
    0:20 on, 1:40 off, 6 rounds

Notes:
    Something about the Airdyne makes me regret every decision I've ever made in my life.
    Also, it's pretty cool that one day after doing GPP I can repeat basically the same thing and see better performance.

Monday, December 29th, 2014
    Bodyweight: 165.2 right before training (ie food and liquid in me)

Competition Squat
    295 x 4 @ 7.5-ish
    305 x 4 @ 8
    310 x 3 @ 9.5
    290 x 4 @ 9
    E1RM: 363.1 - 352.3 lbs

Competition Bench
    185 x 4 @ 7.5
    195 x 3 @ 8.5 (wtf)
    180 x 4 x 3
    E1RM: 221.6 lbs #povertybench

2ct Paused Bench Press
    170 x 3 @ 7-ish?
    180 x 3 @ 8-ish
    185 x 3 @ 8.875
    175 x 3 @ 9
    E1RM: ~209 lbs

Notes:
    1) On the top set of squats, I got seriously pitched forward because I didn't take the time to tighten up before the descent, so I struggled to get it back above the midfoot. It cost me my top set and probably a backoff set.
    2) Comp bench...up from last week, down from where I want it.
    3) 2ct benching went better than expected, I really focused on pushing myself into the bench and it felt stronger than my comp benching. Stupid.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday, December 30th, 2014
    Bodyweight: 164.6 lbs

Competition Deadlifts (1:00pm)
    345 x 2 @ bar slip
    Changed bars
    345 x 4 @ 8-ish
    360 x 1 @ 10
    340 x 1 @ 10
    My back was shot. Thoughts below on why.

Close Grip Bench Press
    145 x 9 @ 7
    150 x 9 @ 8
    155 x 9 @ 9
    145 x 9 @ 9
    E1RM: 209.5 lbs

Front Squats
    155 x 9 @ fast
    175 x 9
    stopped here from wrist/forearm pain

Competition Deadlifts (8:00pm)
    345 x 4 @ Usain Bolt fast.
    ab cramp stopped me here

Notes:
    Deadlifting is inconsistent, but I figured one thing out. Hex plates at NYSC throw my setup off, I'm 90% sure it's basically a deficit deadlift. I tried again at Powerhouse with the rubber plates and things felt way smoother. I was taken out of commission by a shitty ab cramp while setting up for 360 lbs (yay) but I chalk that up to accumulated fatigue from the first training session + plenty of caffeine through the day. Regardless, I now know - I need to be pickier about my gym choice for deadlifts if only so I can keep my setup consistent.

On the other hand, close grip benching is going well...so I think I can be a solid bench bro.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast