starting strength gym
Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Manveer Gets Competitive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Guess I need to start looking at the serious people logs now... it's scary up here!
    Heh. I have 6 deadlift work sets tonight. Maybe I can edge you out on the deadlift with this new programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Nice log and a good choice in programming. I look forward to seeing you respond to the work.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    All the volume!

I can't remember--are you tracking macros yet?
    I tracked macros last year going into the Fall Classic because I had to/wanted to lose a little weight. After that I stopped. I check for a few days probably once every few months to make sure nothing is too out of whack. I use my weight as a proxy measurement for total calories and then just make sure I get enough protein (~250g/day).

I find that counting macros takes a lot of the enjoyment out of eating. You've been very successful with macro counting and seem to do so effortlessly, so if you have any tips I'm all ears.

I ate most of my lunch by 10:30am today... just one workout and I'm already starving.

Nice first session. Following along to see you make mad gainz on RTS!

Very nice log. Looking forward to seeing how you do with Guided Programming. You'll not only get used to the volume, before long, but you're also going to see a big improvement in your recovery ability.

Great to see someone following some different coached programming. Looking forward to following along and see you put some even bigger numbers!

A few thoughts on macro tracking, if you decide to do it. I needed to do it to get my blood sugar number a bit nicer. (Not a medical recommendation, listen to your doctor, blah blah blah).

I started tracking a little bit before Thanksgiving last year. I knew it was the thing to do, but I had been slow to start for fear that it would be too difficult, or that it would take the joy out of eating. Two main concerns:

1. It's too hard.
    2. It takes the joy out of food.

1. It's not that hard. I have a young friend of the family who has Type I diabetes. That's hard. I saw another young man at a festival steering his wheelchair with his tongue. This isn't hard.

Which isn't to say that it's easy. There's two elements: the habit and the knack. The habit is the hard part. You have to track every meal, every day, until it just becomes another thing you do. Habits are hard to acquire, but once acquired, are easy to maintain. This is good news. Just buckle down for a few months, and it will be easier.

The knack just takes practice. If you have lots of carbs left to get, and no fat, what do you do? Rice Krispies! If you have no carbs, but protein and fat left? Omelet! You'll figure out your own tricks as you go to help you hit your macros accurately. It's just like your instincts in your professional life. You didn't start with them, but got them over time.

I don't think this is true. Let me borrow from spiritual traditions. They are pretty universal in their insistence on some kind of fasting, and, apart from devotion to God/gods, the fasting is done to help you have a good relationship with food and to exercise your discipline. I remember reading a text from my own tradition and seeing the story of a young monk complaining to an old monk about hunger. The old monk says he's gone 40 years without eating what he wants. In the end, it's not a big deal, and a little bit of relaxation of the fast becomes a big feast.

Take my relationship with pizza. I used to eat entire pizzas. My joy came from the whole thing, from stuffing my gob with as much as I could reach. Now that my food habits are a bit more in order, when I eat pizza, it's much better. When I was on restricted carbs and then got to move up the carb macro, that first bowl of cereal was heavenly.

The cool thing about flexible dieting/IIFYM is that you can eat whatever you want. You just have to make room for it. I still enjoy Chicago-style pizza. I just don't eat so much of it that I sweat from the effort of digesting.

Manveer, I'll PM something to you I designed for my clients to track macro and adjust based on bodyweight trends.

Looking forward to following along!

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Nice first session. Following along to see you make mad gainz on RTS!
    Thanks! Hopefully that's the result of all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Noooo! Add ALL THE REPS!
    I did all the deadlift reps today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Very nice log. Looking forward to seeing how you do with Guided Programming. You'll not only get used to the volume, before long, but you're also going to see a big improvement in your recovery ability.
    Thanks, Vince! I'm sure you're right and I'll adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Great to see someone following some different coached programming. Looking forward to following along and see you put some even bigger numbers!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    A few thoughts on macro tracking, if you decide to do it. I needed to do it to get my blood sugar number a bit nicer. (Not a medical recommendation, listen to your doctor, blah blah blah).

I started tracking a little bit before Thanksgiving last year. I knew it was the thing to do, but I had been slow to start for fear that it would be too difficult, or that it would take the joy out of eating. Two main concerns:

1. It's too hard.

1. It's not that hard. I have a young friend of the family who has Type I diabetes. That's hard. I saw another young man at a festival steering his wheelchair with his tongue. This isn't hard.

Which isn't to say that it's easy. There's two elements: the habit and the knack. The habit is the hard part. You have to track every meal, every day, until it just becomes another thing you do. Habits are hard to acquire, but once acquired, are easy to maintain. This is good news. Just buckle down for a few months, and it will be easier.

The knack just takes practice. If you have lots of carbs left to get, and no fat, what do you do? Rice Krispies! If you have no carbs, but protein and fat left? Omelet! You'll figure out your own tricks as you go to help you hit your macros accurately. It's just like your instincts in your professional life. You didn't start with them, but got them over time.

I don't think this is true. Let me borrow from spiritual traditions. They are pretty universal in their insistence on some kind of fasting, and, apart from devotion to God/gods, the fasting is done to help you have a good relationship with food and to exercise your discipline. I remember reading a text from my own tradition and seeing the story of a young monk complaining to an old monk about hunger. The old monk says he's gone 40 years without eating what he wants. In the end, it's not a big deal, and a little bit of relaxation of the fast becomes a big feast.

Take my relationship with pizza. I used to eat entire pizzas. My joy came from the whole thing, from stuffing my gob with as much as I could reach. Now that my food habits are a bit more in order, when I eat pizza, it's much better. When I was on restricted carbs and then got to move up the carb macro, that first bowl of cereal was heavenly.

The cool thing about flexible dieting/IIFYM is that you can eat whatever you want. You just have to make room for it. I still enjoy Chicago-style pizza. I just don't eat so much of it that I sweat from the effort of digesting.
    Thanks for writing that up, Karl. Once I get used to this training style a bit I will work on the habit of tracking macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boa View Post
    Manveer, I'll PM something to you I designed for my clients to track macro and adjust based on bodyweight trends.
    Thanks, Martin! Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Looking forward to following along!
    Thanks!

BW (7/18 morning): 241.0#

Sleep (7/17 evening): 6h22m, 2x awake, 9x restless. Slept like crap.

W1D2 – 2016-07-18
    Deadlift w/ belt
    405x4 @6.5
    420x4 @7
    445x4 @8
    445x4 @8.5
    445x4 @9.5
    425x4 @8
    Felt pretty good. Rest times between 6-9 minutes. Legs are like linguine afterwards.

Dropped my hips lower than I usually do. Felt much stronger off the floor and also like my back was getting set better. I’ve probably been setting up too high.

3ct Pause Bench
    205x3 @6
    215x3 @7
    225x3 @7.5
    225x3 @8
    225x3 @8
    225x3 @8.5
    First time doing this, so wasn’t sure where I would land. Could’ve gone 5-10 lbs heavier on the top set. I guess this is just a light bench variant, supposed to teach me to hold the bottom position better? Not to worry, there’s heavier TnG benching in a couple of days... bench err day.

5-min rest periods.

Ab Wheel x10x4
    First time doing this. My triceps actually cramped up bad after the first set.

Total gym time 2h15m. Did the ab wheel later. Haven't looked at any video... need to get to sleep.

Last edited by manveer; 07-18-2016 at 08:31 PM.

BW (7/19 morning): 241.2#

Sleep (7/18 evening): 6h45m, 2x awake, 13x restless

GPP
    C2 Rower
    2850m, 2:39/500m, 15:09 (not continuous)
    Average HR 133 (over 21:45)
    Max HR 160
    Supposed to be aerobic maintenance, but my cardio capacity is piss poor so I had to take some breaks and my average HR was lower than it should've been. Hopefully I can look back at this in a couple of months and laugh at how bad my conditioning was.

Mobility work - ~10 mins. Did most of the stuff from the second half of the "limber 11" video: Joe DeFranco's "Limber 11" (flexibility routine) - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    what does the restless number mean exactly? Are you measuring this with a device or app of some sort?

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast