starting strength gym
Page 100 of 132 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1319

Thread: Manveer Gets Competitive

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Yeah!!! It's not like you get bar speed in a meet. You got time to adjust attempts based on feelz, input from your handler if you got one, and MAYBE a single view of your video.
    Even when I did review video during the last meet, I didn't call things correctly. If I ever compete at a high level I will need someone else to call attempts for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Bar speed increases with power cleans. It worked for my bench press. I do power snatches for kegel exercises and multiply instead of divide. :thumbup:
    Kinetic Energy

Kinetic Energy is very important in moving objects slowly.

Maths

KE=(M*V^2)/2

If M=1 and V=1, E=0.5

Now if we decrease M to 0.75 and increase V to 2, E=1.5

Therefore

Therefore, if you want to triple your 1RM Pendlay Row, use less weight. Move it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I can attest to gilchrest's kegel protocol.

I can no longer get all the way thru his mud hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Good luck for the Manveer Invitational. I have a sneaky feeling you might win.
    Thanks! I hope so! I invited all the Manveers in the area.

My mattress has been crushed by all the gainzzz the last two nights, so my back has been a little fucked up and I woke up early today and yesterday. I rotated it this morning. Hopefully everything is fine tomorrow.
    Last edited by manveer; 03-24-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Kinetic Energy

Kinetic Energy is very important in moving objects slowly.

Maths

KE=(M*V^2)/2

If M=1 and V=1, E=0.5

Now if we decrease M to 0.75 and increase V to 2, E=1.5

Therefore

Therefore, if you want to triple your 1RM Pendlay Row, use less weight. Move it faster.
    I missed the glory of this Kenny Croxdale post until I viewed it on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Gilchrest and I apologise for the dents in your mattress, as well as the colours we added to your bath towel.
    Are you British now? Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I missed the glory of this Kenny Croxdale post until I viewed it on my computer.
    The argument is irrefutable.

BW (3/23 morning): 236.0#
    BW (3/24 morning): 236.4#
    BW (3/25 morning): 237.0#

Sleep (3/22 evening): ~6.5h
    Sleep (3/23 evening): ~6.5h
    Sleep (3/24 evening): ~8h

2017-03-25 - C2W21D3 (Mock Meet)
    Squat w/ belt
    515x1 @8 [.31 m/s]
    530x1 @9 [.26 m/s]
    540x1 @9.5 [.22 m/s]
    Had to go with plan B since 515 didn't move as fast as I was hoping. Left a little in the tank to try and pull a deadlift PR.

Deadlift w/ belt
    540x1 @9? [.14 m/s]
    555x0
    555x0
    Just couldn't get my back tight, felt extremely weak.

Anyway, I think I peaked early. If I had done this on Monday the result would've been much different. I think this is in part due to the shit week I had a couple of weeks back where I failed some heavy reps. Just my guess, but I think the working weights for the back offs were too light as a result. Another theory is that the back pain I got from sleeping in a low spot in my mattress for a couple of nights messed with my ability to get tight today, but I kinda doubt it.

Mark is changing the programming significantly for the next cycle. It will be lower volume, higher intensity with more frequent deloads. I've been getting beat up by the training and having a hard time recovering during accumulation. Pretty frustrating, but not sure what else I can do. I will also have a heavy travel schedule in the near future, so I don't expect any great progress to be made with inconsistent training.

I've been talking about gaining weight for a while, but I really do need to make that happen. Should spur some progress, because I'm too light for my height at this point.

Videos: Instagram
    Last edited by manveer; 03-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Hey dude - Solid work today. Sorry that things didn't work out the way you wanted it to. Hopefully this new programming that Mark has for you, coupled with weight gain will lead you to even more significant gainzZz.

I know the feeling. Sounds like the peak was just off a bit. It is a hard thing to do precisely. But, you have not lost anything other than a test opportunity. Programmed deloads are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Hey dude - Solid work today. Sorry that things didn't work out the way you wanted it to. Hopefully this new programming that Mark has for you, coupled with weight gain will lead you to even more significant gainzZz.
    Thanks. The strength is there, I just need to realize it. After the wedding I'm going to next weekend I won't need to worry about fitting into my suit for a while, so I can bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I know the feeling. Sounds like the peak was just off a bit. It is a hard thing to do precisely. But, you have not lost anything other than a test opportunity. Programmed deloads are smart.
    Yeah, true. There are some milestones I've been chasing that are just so elusive. I thought I would hit one or two yesterday.

BW (3/26 morning): 236.4#

Sleep (3/25 evening): ~7h

2017-03-26 - C3W1D1
    Squat w/ belt
    405x5 @6.5
    430x5 @7.5
    435x5 @8
    435x5 @8.5
    435x2 ... surprise fart on rep 3, set it down
    415x5 @8
    415x5 @8.5
    Ugh. Too many fahves. New belt (Wahlanders) felt weird, seemed to mess with my mechanics a bit.

Video of top set: Instagram

5-1-5 Tempo Bench
    175x5x3
    Last set was kinda hard. The slow tempo makes you feel the burn.

Press v1
    95x11 @5.5
    110x11 @6.5
    120x11 @7.5
    120x11 @8.5
    120x11 @10
    105x11 @8.5
    RIP triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    You're definitely in a high fatigue zone. Sounds like Mark has the right idea to hit a little higher single and then work more in the 70% or so zone. Congratulations on becoming a more mature lifter. /s
    I think this is a joke, but I'm not getting it. Sorry.

Today's work was more in the 80% range and there are no singles @8 this week for squat or deadlift. There are for bench, but obviously I'm not following that programming right now.

I'm happy to make progress with less volume. I'm a little worried about the frequency of deloads (every 3 weeks, I think?)... maybe I will regress too much during those periods. I don't know. He says the program is "more suited to my personality" (not sure what that means exactly). Anyway, after I threw out my possible objections, he still seemed confident in the approach, so I'm going to try it and see.

Sorry to hear it didn't go your way...but we still love you.

As you said, the strength is definitely there, which is a pretty important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't go your way...but we still love you.

As you said, the strength is definitely there, which is a pretty important thing.
    Thanks, Chris.

BW (3/27 morning): 236.4#
    BW (3/28 morning): 237.8#

Not sure about sleep on 3/26 evening.
    Sleep (3/27 evening): ~6h

Felt shitty yesterday, moved training back a day.

2017-03-28 - C3W1D2
    Deadlift w/ belt
    410x5 @6
    435x5 @7
    455x5 @8
    455x5 @8.5
    455x5 @9
    430x5 @8.5
    Bar was moving fast, but I just couldn't stay tight towards the end of these sets. Belt is not broken in. Sometimes it feels good, sometimes it feels like shit. On the last set, it was pretty uncomfortable. I know it'll be fine after it's broken in, but for now it's annoying. I get more support from it, though.

Mild lumbar strain on my right side from one of these sets. Probably from a shitty starting position.

Video: Instagram

Wide Stance Squat
    255x7 @6?
    275x7 @7
    I stopped here. I could say it's because of the mild back strain or because this feels weird in my adductors where I've previously been injured, but I could've pushed through.

I just have no interest in training at the moment. Feeling burned out. This is my last session before I take a vacation, so I'm going to have to rebuild when I get back anyway. Just feels like I push like hell, make progress, then backslide somehow and never get to realize the progress I made. Sometimes it feels like I'm on course to squat and deadlift 700 and other times it feels like I'll never hit 585. Anyway, hopefully some time away from it all does some good.
    Last edited by manveer; 03-28-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: re-uploaded video

starting strength coach development program
    Some R&R and tons of great food will be good for you. You've been busting your ass off for a long while. Those PRs will be waiting for you when you get back.