starting strength gym
Page 27 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    7/21

It's home improvement month at the skid household. Spent all day preparing my driveway base for concrete. Pretty tired at the end of the day. However, I'm on a program and I can't let things slide any more.

Warm up - 500M row in 2:07

Comp Bench - 325-2, 305-3,3,3,3,2,2,2, - Started off with a double at 325, then my work sets at 305 which is +5 from last week. Just past half way through I was starting to fatigue so I dropped to 2 reps. All reps paused for a 2 count, with ~3 minutes rest between sets. Will repeat weight next week.

SSB - 325-5,5,5,5,5, - 3 minutes rest between sets. +10 from last week. These felt very comfortable.

Curls - 55-6,6,6, - Too lazy to put weights on the ez curl bar so I did dumbbells today. Did 1 set of hammer curls which for me is a good curl warm up, then did 2 sets of normal dumbbell curls.

7/23

Last two days have been long hot days getting my driveway ready for concrete. Removing subsoil, placing gravel, raking it level, compacting it, getting the forms ready, etc. Finished up everything today and ready for the concrete trucks to start rolling tomorrow. Pretty tired again at the end of the day. Not the best way to start a heavy deadlift workout, but my daughter is now working out with me regularly so she helps to make it fun.

Warm up - 500M in 1:59

Deadlifts - 470-3,3,3,3,3, - was going for 8 sets but died after 5. +10 from last week. 3-4 minutes rest between sets. Will repeat weight.

Incline presses at 70 degrees - 210-5,5,4, - + 5 from last week. Didn't even try the 5th rep on the last set. 3-4 minutes rest between sets. Will repeat weight.

Pin press from eye level - 205-1, 195-5,4, - Did 200 for 3 sets of 5 last week. Too exhausted today so dropped 5 pounds from last week to get my reps in. Even at that couldn't complete my reps.

7/25

I normally have 3 days rest between heavy deadlifts and today's heavy squats. However I had a fairly open day since the concrete contractor deferred the driveway pour to tomorrow. I wasn't fully recovered, but did what I could. The heat isn't helping things either...

Row - 500M in 2:05

Squat - 405-1, 375-3,3,3,3,3,1 - 405 felt pretty heavy and the reps at 375 weren't that easy either. Last set I ran out of strength and racked it after one. ~ 4 minutes rest between sets. Many more reps than last week at the same weight. Will repeat weight.

Close grip bench - 295-5,3,3,3,3,4, - 1st set of 5 went well but the last rep was hard, dropped to 3's for a few sets and did 4 for the last. Could have pushed another one out in the middle sets but took it fairly easy today. 3 minutes rest between sets. 14 reps more than last week at the same weight. Will repeat weight

Chins/pullups - BW-5/5, 35-5/5, - alternated between the two. 3 minutes rest between sets

7/27

Warm up - 500M row in 2:01

Press - 230-1, 215-2,2,3,2,3,2,2, - Did one heavier single, and then my work sets. Had a couple of 3's mixed in with the two's. I find the press to be very dependent on good technique once the weight gets heavier. I experimented with grip width a bit and found approx. 1 inch into the knurling works best for me. ~3 minutes rest between sets. Will repeat weight again until I get all 3's. I will also continue adding weight to my singles before my work sets.

Stiff leg Deadlift - 425-5,5,5, - These went surprising well today and my technique felt spot on. ~3 minutes rest between sets. Will add weight next week.

Cheat rows - 315-5,5,5, - These went well today too. Back must be getting stronger. 3 minutes rest, will add weight next week.

GHR's - Green/Red bands combined - I don't normally warm up with these as I am already quite warmed up from all the previous posterior work. Today I did and I went up so fast without band tension I almost threw my back out Once I got tension I really tried to use the best technique possible and really tried to "fire" my hammies.

Dupe

7/29

Warm up - 500M row in 2:00

Comp Bench - 330-1, 305-3,3,3,3,3,3,3, - Last rep for the last 3 sets was near full effort. 3-4 minutes rest between sets getting longer on the latter sets.

SSB squats - 335-1, - Stopped due to pain in my quads. This has been progressively getting worse for a few months. The last few trail walks I have gone on I have been walking like an old man, well at least a lot older than my near 54 years. Walking down steep uneven hills is the most difficult. Not sure what to do here. I could try NSAID's before my squat workouts but don't really want to go there. Maybe I need some time off or a significant de-load. My squats have been going down hill for some time. I may try to complete these later today.

You know it's ok to take a week or three off a movement if it is painful to do and see if it starts to heal?
    I had to do it with pull-ups just recently.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 07-29-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    You know it's ok to take a week or three off a movement if it is painful to do and see if it starts to heal?
    I had to do it with pull-ups just recently.
    I've followed Bryan's advice and haven't squatted/deadlifted or trained at all for almost a week. A week ago I could hardly get out of my truck without wincing in pain as I stepped down from the running boards. Legs are feeling much better now but I will give them another week of rest before I resume training. It's kind of worked out good anyways since we've had company this week, and more arriving this weekend so I can concentrate on being with our family and guests.

Our current guests decided to visit Whistler today, so having some time to my self today I went out in the garage to work on a project. Saw the weights sitting there so thought why not do a few bench presses. One thing led to another and next thing I know I've worked up to my previous comp PR of 335.

The 335 felt not too bad so I thought why not add another 10 pounds and tie my touch and go PR of 345 (which was an absolute struggle for me a few months ago). The paused 345 didn't go up easy but I got it up.

Last edited by skid; 08-05-2017 at 05:10 PM.

it appears you made good use of your time.

starting strength coach development program
    nice lifting in here