starting strength gym
Page 25 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid (Marc's) log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Solid lifting, Marc!

Good luck with the Hepburn training. It can become a little boring, but it definitely works. Earning new maxes makes up for any boredom that might occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Solid lifting, Marc!

Good luck with the Hepburn training. It can become a little boring, but it definitely works. Earning new maxes makes up for any boredom that might occur.
    Thanks Chebass,

I made an inquiry into coaching on the Barbell Medicine website using both online forms last Tuesday. As of yet I have not received a response. There was one other coach I was thinking about, but have now decided to proceed with the Hepburn style programming for now. At least i'll see if the training is working fairly quickly instead of waiting a couple months which is more typical of periodized programs.

6/17

In my new quest to lose some body fat while hopefully retain my muscles I did some prowler work today with my two youngest kids. Interestingly, my 9 year old son could push the prowler 40 yards (slowly) with no weight, and my 12 year old daughter could go 40 yards each way (although she disappeared right after that).

Warm up - Frisbee with the kids

Prowler - no weight - 40 yards x 4
    Prowler - 55 pound 9 year old - 40 yards x 8 - Took my kid for a ride. I stopped at each 40 to catch my breath. Alternated low horizontal push handles, and high upright handles.

6/19

I had an excavator clear an acre of land last fall; well at least he knocked all the trees over root balls and all. I made a big pile of branches and spent most of the day burning the slash, and bucking up the trees with the chainsaw into firewood rounds. Today was a good day to burn as it rained over the weekend and I couldn't start the nearby forest on fire. It was hot and muggy and I worked hard and got all hot and sweaty due to the humidity. Thought I'd be tired after 8 hours of this and it may affect my workout today. last thing I did was pile on a huge pile of stumps onto the fire with the grapple on my tractor. Quite a bit of smoke from the stumps as they don't burn that well...

Close grip Bench Press - 285-3, 275-5,5,5,5 - My program called for 3-5 sets of 5. 285 seemed a little too heavy so I dropped to 275 and got the rest of the sets. Will add 5 pounds for next week.

Squats - 365-3,2,2,3,3,2,2,2, - Got my first set of 3 in and was getting ready to do my second set when I heard the dog barking. The wife came in the garage and said someone is here to see you about the fire. I looked out and it was the fire department. I knew the firemen. He mentioned someone at the viewpoint lookout on the highway way above my house saw smoke and thought it could be a forest fire or something. I asked if he wanted my to put it out and he said yes. They had a small truck and started to put the fire out and I fired up my irrigation pump and pulled a two inch hose to the fire and we spend a half hour putting out the fire. They were apologetic since I'm a ways out from the town on a farm, but still within the city boundaries, but said it had to be extinguished due to the complaint. I restarted my workout a little cooled off by then but got my extra 3's in as per schedule. life's always interesting...

Chins - 30# - OH/UH - 5,5/5,5 - These went well and felt good. Will add weight for next workout since I got all the fives.

6/20

Press - 205-3,3,2,2,2,2,2,2, - Set the timer for 3 minute intervals between sets

Rack Pulls - Feeling a bit off today so called it quits before even getting to my work sets

Rows - same as above

6/22

Warm up - 500M row in a leisurely 2:13

Comp Bench - 280-3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, - Still a little light so I will keep adding weight. I started at about 80% of my 1RM last week and added 5 pounds today. Did a 2 second pause at the bottom. Each set took around 30 seconds including set up and I rested 3 minutes so each cycle was 3:30.

SSB Squat - 285-5,5,5,5,5, - I bought the safety squat bar earlier this year but have never trained with it. Thought I would start light and see how it felt. Rested 3 minutes between each set. Felt good so will keep using it for Thursday squat sessions.

EZ bar curls - 95-10,10,10, - This weight was fairly light so I did tempo curls of 1-0-3. Will add weight for next time.

6/23

Warm up - 500M row in 2:10

Deadlift - 440-3,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3, - Started at 80% of my 1RM. 1st time deadlifting in two weeks. 3 minutes rest on the timer between each set, and approx. 20 seconds for each set so 3:20 for a cycle

Pin Press lock out from eye level - 185-3,5,5,5, - 1st time for these. Felt a little weird the first set. 3 minutes rest between sets.

Standing incline press at 70 degree incline - 195-5,5,5, - Had a little difficulty locking out the last rep on each set as I was fatigued from the pin press lockouts. I'll switch the order of these for next time. 4 minutes rest between sets.

Dips - BW-5, 45-5,6, - Was going to do another set but could feel these in my shoulders so called it after two sets. I may just stick with inclines and press lockouts for tricep work going forward.

6/26

Warm up - 500M row in 1:56

Squats - 365-2,3,3,3,3,3,2,3, - Did sets with 3 minutes rest until the last set where I took a bit longer. Right knee under the patella was painful and clicking for the warm ups and first set where I only did 2 reps. I thought I may have to postpone the squats but on the second set the pain and clicking went away. 7th set I did a pause squat by accident which threw me off so I only did two reps.

Close grip bench - 280-5,5,5,4,5, - Did 3 minute rests between sets until the 4th set when I only managed to get 4 reps. Took a 5 minute rest for the last set and got all 5 reps.

Chins - 35 - UH-5,5, OH-5,5, - 3 minute rest between sets. Will add weight next week.

6/27

Warm up - 500M row in 1:49

Upper chest and lats a bit sore from yesterday's workout. All muscle soreness though, joints are all fine.

Press - 205-3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, - The last rep/last set was a struggle. 3-4 minutes rest between sets as I was slightly fatigued from yesterday's close grip benches. Will add 5 pounds to next week's effort.

Stiff leg deadlift - 385-5,5,5, - Wasn't quite sure where to start weight-wise with these. 385 was fairly hard but will add 10 pounds next time. 3-4 minutes rest between sets.

Cheat Barbell Rows - 285-5,5,5, - Although the weight wasn't too heavy I was fatigued from the deadlifts so this was a good starting weight. The key to this exercise is to not put the weight down but to almost touch the ground when reversing direction, as this is more of a lower back exercise. Used straps with 3-4 minutes between sets... Will add weight next time.

GHR's - Blue Rogue band - 10,10,10, - It takes a little while to get the hang of these but could feel it in my hamstrings today. 3 minutes rest between sets. Will add tension for next week.

6/29

Warm up - 500M row in 2:05

Comp Bench - 285-1,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, - 1st attempted set I hit the safeties so I had to adjust them, so I started all over from there. 2 second pause on all reps, 3 minutes rest between sets. Went fairly easy so will add 5 pounds for next week. +5 pounds from last week, +10 pounds from start 2 weeks ago.

SSB Squat - 295-5,5,5,5,5, - +10 pounds from last week, these went easy since I started light. SSB squats actually feel therapeutic on my quads, at least at this weight. 3 minutes rest between sets.

EZ bar curls - 115-5,10,10, - 1 set was a bit of a warm up. Slight bit of body English on the last few reps. 3 minutes between sets.

starting strength coach development program
    6/30

Warm up - 500M row in 2:05

Got my SBD lever belt yesterday and used it today. Very nice! Took less than 24 hours after ordering to get to my semi-rural home which is pleasantly surprising.

Deadlift - 440-3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3, - 3 minutes rest between sets. Added 6 reps from last week and got 3's each set. Will add 10 pounds for next week.

70 degree incline press - 200-5,5,5, - +5 pounds from last week. 3 minutes rest between sets. Went well, will add 5 pounds for next workout.

Pin press lockouts from eye level - 195 - 5,4,5, - +10 pounds from last week. Starting to fatigue on the second set at 3 minutes rest so I increased my rest period or the 3rd set to just over 4 minutes. Played a bit with grip width.

Regarding rest times, I'm not stuck on 3 minutes. It just seems like a reasonable number, especially for the main (first) exercise, and helps to keep the workouts at less than 1.5 hours. However, if I need more rest to complete the sets I'll take it.

Have a great long weekend everyone!