starting strength gym
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: DirtyRed Attempts Legitimacy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    everyone who's better than me at [bench] (which is most of humanity).
    You know, if you take it as a percentage of squat, it's probably all of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    You know, if you take it as a percentage of squat, it's probably all of humanity.
    No kidding. At this point, I might be another couple of months away from seriously squatting double what I bench.

Also, I am a retard. I forgot a Light Day update, which is normal (HINT: It was exactly the same as the previous Light Day). I forgot to bring my knee sleeves, which is a new level of derp. AND due to having to deal with various nonsense throughout the day, and Friday being the only weekday where the gym actually closes, I didn't have time to go back and get them. I don't know if it's a mental thing now that I've adjusted to using knee sleeves, or if they really aid that much, or if I was just not at 100% when I started, but I got Zero (0) reps of 585 lbs. Now, while that is a heavy ass weight, I had done that without knee sleeves about 7 months ago. One would THINK I could get it without knee sleeves for at least one now.

I also got one rep of bench at 310 lbs, which is kind of to be expected at this point.

Deadlifts got done, but barely. Somehow I felt a bit "fresher" by the time they rolled around, I don't know. And it's to be expected that they are getting difficult, 535 lbs is at least 10 lbs more than I had done three singles for before these past few weeks. I will probably do one more full week, see if I can get the 585 5x1 (which, itself, is at least ten lbs more than I've ever done 5 singles before this current TM cycle), see if I can get 540 lbs 3x1 on deadlift, see if I can REMEMBER MY FUCKING KNEE SLEEVES, and see if I can bench press more than most members' wives. Afterwards, take a backoff week following up to a mock meet. The goals I have in mind are 615 lbs squat (ehhhh), 565 lbs deadlift (more likely than the squat, I feel), and just not actually getting WORSE at bench press (as if that were possible).

I also still need to gain some goddamn weight. Went by the Wal Mart and bought a whole bunch of peanut butter and some yogurt. Did you know it is absolutely fucking impossible to find yogurt that is both unflavored and NOT some "low fat" bullshit? I want fat. Fat = Calories = SWOLE

Intensity Day 3.9
    Squat:
    lol
    Bench: 310 x 1 lol
    Deadlift: 3x1 535 lbs all manly and shit

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Was it a Russian leg curl? I tried them for a while, but didn't see a real positive benefit that couldn't be achieved by pushing squats or deads harder. Plus they are not fun for knees.
    Google says that's exactly what he was doing, and it didn't occur to me how unpleasant using your knees as a fulcrum to leverage 90% of your body weight on against the floor would be.

Volume Day went well. Possibly because I didn't forget my knee sleeves, and didn't misload the bar. I was also in the gym late, and no one was around to spot me on the bench press bench, so I dragged a loose bench into one of the power cages (neither of which were being used) and set it up all safety-fied and shit. I dinged the bar against the hook on the way up on a couple of reps, but otherwise success was made. Either I made progress for reasons known only to Jesus (and he doesn't even really lift), or possibly I had a better frame of mind now that I was no longer benching for my life, but I got 4 full sets of 270x5, and probably would have gotten the fifth if I didn't keep hitting the fucking hook. I'll have to figure out how to best set up in the cage, but otherwise I'm going to keep doing it and suplex anyone who dares to ask if they can halfsquat 185 fucking lbs.

I also realized that my ingenious plan to number my workouts based on which number TM cycle I'm on, with the particular week being denoted after a decimal, falls apart if I do ten weeks worth of workouts, as 3.1 and 3.10 are the same goddamn number.

Shut up.

Volume Day 3.10
    Squats:
    5x5 480 lbs
    Bench (Touch'n'Go): 4x5 1x4 270 lbs
    Speed Deadlifts: 3x3 360 lbs
    Dips: 5x5 45 lbs

PS: I didn't increase the weight on Dips because I didn't do them last week, and they're kind of close to failure anyway

PPS: I took a video of my last squat set, to reward my adoring followers for their loyalty and obedience (I also went back and burned every video of my bench press, including gym security footage, for similar reasons).

Let's see LeBron the Great try THAT one, he's such an athlete.

as 3.1 and 3.10 are the same number.
    Not in terms of tracking version (or progression, in this case). 1.1, 1.2 ... 1.10, 1.10.1, etc... are all separate things. There's no real problem here.

Have you considered a different approach to bench other than TM? Obviously it's working great for squat/deadlift, but it might be worth a try to look into something different for bench. Strong stuff otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Have you considered a different approach to bench other than TM? Obviously it's working great for squat/deadlift, but it might be worth a try to look into something different for bench. Strong stuff otherwise.
    Tm sucks for bench. Unless you do a 4 day split w a ton of upper body work.

Also curl every day helps bench. Curls!

That rack looks like shit. Kudos for using it

I also still need to gain some goddamn weight. Went by the Wal Mart and bought a whole bunch of peanut butter and some yogurt. Did you know it is absolutely fucking impossible to find yogurt that is both unflavored and NOT some "low fat" bullshit? I want fat. Fat = Calories = SWOLE
    Walmart yogurt selection is poor and overpriced. There is a Price Rite (sic) grocery store near me which sells Cabot greek yogurt made with whole milk and cream, resulting in 10% milkfat. Mix 1:1 with salsa and eat it on potatoes, chicken, eggs, burritos, or chips.

Way to bury those squats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    No, see, if something isn't achieving the desired result, it's because you're not doing that thing hard enough. The proper solution, therefore, is to keep doing exactly the same thing, but harder, expecting different results.

I'm not crazy, you're crazy! Shut up!

But really, I'm going to look into something different for the next training cycle for bench.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    That rack looks like shit. Kudos for using it
    The safeties are easy to set at a good height, but because it's slanted, I have to walk out entirely too far. The vertical racks were occupied with buffoons, however.

starting strength coach development program
    No, see, if something isn't achieving the desired result, it's because you're not doing that thing hard enough. The proper solution, therefore, is to keep doing exactly the same thing, but harder, expecting different results.

I'm not crazy, you're crazy! Shut up!

But really, I'm going to look into something different for the next training cycle for bench.

The safeties are easy to set at a good height, but because it's slanted, I have to walk out entirely too far. The vertical racks were occupied with buffoons, however.
    To be fair by the looks of it all the racks were occupied by buffoons.

too easy man.

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast