starting strength gym
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahendra's log of GainzZz

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Oh shit, Mahendra is getting serious! Luckily SBD has sponsored your first meet, and hooked you up with an extra 2.3 metric horsepower!

Also, best of luck with your new journey into competition.
    Also, first.
    Next thing you know, I'll trade in all of my imperial plates for metric plates. All I'm missing is the SBD belt!

Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    Smart and very attainable goals for your first powerlifting meet. Good luck, I'll be following.
    Thanks Tom! I figured it's best to go for goals I can attain, so that it will leave me hungry for MOAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Woop woop! Mahendra turns up the heat. I'm definitely following!
    Heh! You've got some great competition experience under your belt. I'll be analyzing your log even more going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    You've got yourself a nice buffer for your weight class. No doubt that with extra food, your strength will come back. Good luck with the meet training!
    Indeed and that's what I'm hoping for. Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Dem skillz dere.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    I'll be following.
    Thanks Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Time to "pick things up and put them down!"
    Hehe that's the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooline View Post
    I look forward to competing on the same day as you 1000 miles away.
    Likewise!

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Following. Excited for a little friendly internet competition
    Thanks Nikhil! Your level of strength is something I look forward to achieving.

__________________________________________________ _____

Goodnight fellow lifters!

January 2nd, 2016 - Monday

AM BW: 134.6lbs

12 weeks out

Comp Bench

195x1 @ 8.5 - 0.18 m/s
    165x4x8

< 3 minutes rest

Strict Press

95x5x5

< 2 minutes rest

Chin Ups

BW+67.5x3x3
    BWx8x2

< 2 minutes rest

Dips

BW+75x4x3
    BWx10x2

< 2 minutes rest

Duration: ~90 minutes

Overall, a great workout this morning. I was off today so I started lifting around ~10 AM, but it's back to work tomorrow.

Comp Bench - In the past, my top singles have been closer to @9 - @10 efforts. As such, I went with a more conservative weight, and it was probably an @8.5 rather than @8. I believe my @8 speed would have been ~0.20 m/s.

Backoff sets went well, and I think my setup is better than before due to picking up some cues from this video that Bean Counter posted. I also think that at least on some reps, my pauses are a bit more steady and less bouncy.

Everything else - Good.

Regarding rest times, when I mention "< 3 minutes", I set my timer for 2 minutes. When it's up, I press record, set up, and lift.

In other news, I saw Rogue One today. I've never seen any Star Wars movies before, and neither has my girlfriend. That being said, I think she enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I liked it, but it was a bit hard to follow. Also, it was pretty morbid.

I think that's all for now! Snippets of this mornings training is below. Back to work, back to reality... tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a wonderful night!

Cheers!

Training Snippets - January 2nd, 2017

Good morning fellow lifters!

January 3rd, 2017 - Tuesday

AM BW: 134.6lbs

12 weeks out

Squat

280x1 @ 8 - 0.29 m/s
    250x2x8

e1RM ~305lbs

< 3 minutes rest

RDL's

225x6x3

< 3 minutes rest

Dragon Flags

10 minutes - 15 reps

Great workout this morning despite less than par nutrition yesterday and not sleeping well last night. I made the mistake of having a double espresso after dinner around ~6:30 PM and it was a restless night.

Squat - Continuing my experiment with lower rep ranges for volume, based on some wise words from Dwayne in this post. Top single of 285lbs moved slightly better than last week. I hope it'll be over 0.30 m/s by Friday. Backoff sets for volume were good.

RDL's - I'm still looking for a supplementary pull to do other than SGDL's, and I'm not sure how I feel about RDL's. I think I should introduce deficit deadlifts.

Dragon Flags - Great. Managed 4 continuous reps for the first time.

Those SBD knee sleeves are definitely a pain to get on, but really, I shouldn't complain given that I only need to wear them twice a week for ~45-50 minutes at a time. I like them a lot better than the Rehband's. Back to work after being off for just over a week. The good thing is that I can get back to my normal training & eating times.

I think that's all for now. A video of my lifts via Instagram is below. Top single, and 1st & last double is included. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Training Snippets - January 3rd, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    I've never seen any Star Wars movies before, and neither has my girlfriend.
    u wot m8?

You should watch the original trilogy.

Great workout this morning despite less than par nutrition yesterday and not sleeping well last night. I made the mistake of having a double espresso after dinner around ~6:30 PM and it was a restless night.
    That'll do it. I love having an espresso after a big ass delicious dinner, but sometimes it really screws up my sleep. I had trouble falling asleep last night just because I got used to sleeping later on vacation.

You still have trouble with the SBDs after folding them over to get them on and off? I guess they will break in and loosen up a bit.

u wot m8?

You should watch the original trilogy.
    I know... blasphemy. I plan to one day, just for the sake of it. Apparently it's good?

I recently started the LOTR trilogy (extended cut) but only got through the 1st movie.

That'll do it. I love having an espresso after a big ass delicious dinner, but sometimes it really screws up my sleep. I had trouble falling asleep last night just because I got used to sleeping later on vacation.
    Same here. Espresso = deliciousness. Every Friday night I'll have a double espresso, yet have no issue falling asleep. I think it's because by Friday, my body breaks down and will fall sleep no matter what I inject.

You still have trouble with the SBDs after folding them over to get them on and off? I guess they will break in and loosen up a bit.
    It's not too bad and I can manage to get them on decently well, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up losing the hair on my shins & calves soon enough... I'm just spoiled from how easy the Rehband's slid on and off. I also bought a size smaller (small rather than medium) for the "competition" fit.

I know... blasphemy. I plan to one day, just for the sake of it. Apparently it's good?
    IMHO the original trilogy is pretty good, and I liked "The force awakens" too. 1-2-3 not so much.

I recently started the LOTR trilogy (extended cut) but only got through the 1st movie.
    The first one is the one worth watching. 2 and 3 get a bit langweilig.

It's not too bad and I can manage to get them on decently well, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up losing the hair on my shins & calves soon enough... I'm just spoiled from how easy the Rehband's slid on and off. I also bought a size smaller (small rather than medium) for the "competition" fit.
    Just wear knee length socks, and use the folding method to get them on and off. Shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, definitely.

Ah, that's where you fucked up. Maybe get some Evolutionize sleeves on the cheap (or just use the Rehbands) for day to day training and save the tight SBDs for closer to competition and actual comp day? Some of the super l33t powerlifters in RTS have a bunch of SBD sleeves. Maybe they're sponsored or something.

Yeah, definitely.

Ah, that's where you fucked up. Maybe get some Evolutionize sleeves on the cheap (or just use the Rehbands) for day to day training and save the tight SBDs for closer to competition and actual comp day? Some of the super l33t powerlifters in RTS have a bunch of SBD sleeves. Maybe they're sponsored or something.
    Dat expendable income do! I'd agree with saving them there tight sleeves for (as Rip likes to put it) "No bullshit competition, with judges..."

Sorry you didn't like "Rogue One" all that much Mahendra! I feel partly to blame since I suggested it to you lol. I think I enjoyed it so much because I found it so much better than "The Force Awakens" which they released last year... I wasn't impressed with that one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    IMHO the original trilogy is pretty good, and I liked "The force awakens" too. 1-2-3 not so much.

The first one is the one worth watching. 2 and 3 get a bit langweilig.

Just wear knee length socks, and use the folding method to get them on and off. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Haven't heard a bad thing about the original trilogy. Not sure why I never watched it though. Regarding LOTR, I've seen all 3 movies, but occasionally I like to re-watch it. Haven't done so in ~4 years.

I think part of the issue is getting a size smaller. But I may try it with socks.

Quote Originally Posted by kfreeman85 View Post
    Dat expendable income do! I'd agree with saving them there tight sleeves for (as Rip likes to put it) "No bullshit competition, with judges..."
    I went with the "competition fit" based on a few reviews I've read/watched on the interwebz. They suggested that's the fit that's worth getting with SBD's. *Shrugs*

But, the Rehband's will be fine for day to day training.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    Sorry you didn't like "Rogue One" all that much Mahendra! I feel partly to blame since I suggested it to you lol. I think I enjoyed it so much because I found it so much better than "The Force Awakens" which they released last year... I wasn't impressed with that one at all.
    I enjoyed Rogue One. No regrets going to see it. I think the lady liked it a bit more than me, which is odd.

starting strength coach development program
    Counterpoint: train how you compete. SBDs and Rehbands feel very different on my knee and I wouldn't want to have to deal with any new kinaesthetic inputs on meet day.

I think part of the issue is getting a size smaller. But I may try it with socks.
    Competition fit is fine for me. Give it a couple of weeks and they'll loosen up, plus you'll get used to putting them on. I've never tried specifically putting mine on with socks, but the second they make any incidental contact with my regular socks they get stuck tight, so it's not a technique I'd try. Plus, putting them on with socks as an aid would technically be illegal under IPF Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by IPF Technical Rules
    The Technical Controller shall also reject any knee sleeves that have
    been put on the lifter with the assistance of any other person or method, such as the use of plastic slidings, the use of
    lubricants and so on.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast