Comp Deadlift

135x5
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1
    355x1 @ RPE 6...?

Notes

Working up to my final warm-ups felt good this morning. I think I'm ready for Saturday... nervous, but ready. I've spent some time thinking about what I could improve upon from my last meet. I hope that those improvements can translate into some MOAR GAINZZZ this Saturday!

I think that's all for now. I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Cheers!

Prepped well dude.Good luck at the meet!

Have a great competition!

Good luck, man! Almost time to kill it...

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    Prepped well dude.Good luck at the meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Have a great competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Good luck, man! Almost time to kill it...
    Thanks everyone!

Short meet recap:

Went 7/9 with the following lifts:

Squat - 150kg / 331lbs
    Bench - 100kg / 220lbs
    Deadlift - 190kg / 419lbs

Total - 440kg / 970lbs
    Wilks - 364.89

Improved my total by 17.5kg / 39lbs / 11 Wilks over my last comp on March 25th.

Lifts can be seen here:

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Will do a better recap when I can think straight again. Haha.

Cheers!

Nice job, dude. That's a solid improvement in a short period of time since your last comp.

Nice gainzz Mahendra!

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Nice job, dude. That's a solid improvement in a short period of time since your last comp.
    Thanks Manveer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Nice gainzz Mahendra!
    Thanks Dwayne!
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Meet Recap:

2017 Scarborough Spring Classic - Afterburn Fitness
    May 20th, 2017

Today's meet was a successful meet. I managed the following:

Squat - 150kg / 331lbs
    Bench Press - 100kg / 220lbs
    Deadlift - 190kg / 419lbs

Total - 440kg / 970lbs
    BW - 61.9kg / 136.5lbs
    Wilks - 364.89

7/9

Meet Video

Today's powerlifting meet was a great 2nd meet for me. I managed to improve each lift, my total, as well as my Wilks by a decent amount in ~8 weeks since my last meet. The programming I followed was mainly based off of some wise words from Dwayne which he's posted in the training & programming forums.

I added the following to my lifts:

Squat - 7.5kg / 16.5lbs
    Bench Press - 5kg / 11lbs
    Deadlift - 5kg / 11lbs

Total - 17.5kg / 38.6lbs
    Wilks - 10.47

Squat

1st - 137.5kg / 303lbs - 3 whites
    2nd - 140kg / 308lbs - 2 whites
    3rd - 150kg / 331lbs - 3 whites

For whatever reason, I was very nervous before I was attempting to squat. There were 3 flights and I was in flight B. I watched the 1st squat attempts by the flight A lifters (all ladies) and noticed that the judges were particularly hard on depth. There were quite a few squats which I thought were completely fine, but 1 judge in particular kept red lighting them. Luckily they still got 2 white lights.

I managed to time my warm-ups well, and I was able to approach the bar and bury my 1st squat attempt, which felt hard, but upon video review, moved decently well. I wanted to attempt 145kg for my 2nd attempt, but by time my friend (handler) handed in my 2nd attempt, apparently 60 seconds had passed and they wouldn't take it. As such I had to squat 140kg instead.

140kg felt a bit tough and at first I thought about attempting 147.5kg as my 3rd attempt. However, I knew I had 150kg in me, (which is also what I initially planned), and went for it anyway. Thankfully it went up and I got 3 white lights. The bar rolled up on my back a bit, but I kept as tight as possible and pushed through.

This gave me a lot of confidence, and maybe a bit too much confidence... but I'll get to that later.

Bench Press

1st - 95kg / 209lbs - 3 whites
    2nd - 100kg /220lbs - 3 whites
    3rd - 105kg / 231lbs - Missed lift

Prior to the meet, I was more confident in my bench press than any other lift. My 1st attempt moved smoothly, so I moved up to my planned 2nd attempt of 100kg. My 2nd attempt moved, but not as well as I thought it would have, given how my openers & warmups felt earlier in the week. Because of my ego, I decided to make my 3rd attempt 105kg rather than a more reasonable 102.5kg (which I may have gotten). A part of me felt that 100kg was "good enough" and anything else was a bonus. I shouldn't have thought that way and went for 102.5kg instead. Oh well, you live and learn.

Upon reflection, it seems that my bench felt weaker than I thought it should have. This also happened at the March 25th meet. This could be for a variety of reasons - perhaps I over reached towards the end of my cycle with some heavy bench singles, or it could be that I was running low on energy/nutrients by the time bench rolled around. It's hard to plan nutrition on a meet day because of the way I currently train at home. Hint: I train on an empty stomach with just BCAA's, creatine, beta alanine, and coffee. Obviously that can't work for a meet, so the introduction of a lot of food and fluids tends to throw things off.

Regardless, I am very happy with how my bench press went. A nice paused 100kg bench is something that I'm proud of. Apparently no one in my flight made their 3rd bench attempt.

Deadlift

1st - 180kg / 396lbs - 3 whites
    2nd - 190kg / 419lbs - missed
    3rd - 190kg / 419lbs - 3 whites

The wonderful deadlift. At this point I was clearly lacking salt in my body as I was cramping left right and center. I guzzled down some gatorade and some salt crackers and I seemed to be okay. I kept cramping up during warmups, but I was okay by the time my attempts came around.

My 1st attempt, IMO, flew up. It felt harder, but video review showed otherwise. I knew the 2nd attempt at 190kg would go up well and it did!!! However, right before my 2nd attempt, they sprayed and wiped down the bar, and it seemed to not have been very dry before I attempted my lift. I managed to lock out 190kg without issue, but on my way down, the bar slipped out of my hand, and it was a missed lift. On top of that, it ripped skin right off of my left hand in 2 spots - my thumb, and right below my pinky. #hookgrip4ever

I decided to re-try 190kg because I'd rather have a meet PR than no PR at all, and I knew I had 190kg in me. I approached the bar, gripped it harder, picked that shit up with authority, and set it back down. 3 white lights indeed.

Random Thoughts

IMO, the meet was run very efficiently and started just 20 minutes late. However, the judges seemed to be very strict with squat and bench. I know that I had/have an issue of a bit of bounciness in my bench, but I noticed that the pause seemed more like a 2 count for pretty much everyone. Regarding squat, one judge kept red lighting some people's squat depth (including mine) even though they all seemed well below the definition of parallel. Clearly the other 2 judges saw that, so it's hard to understand what that 1 particular judge saw that the others didn't.

The atmosphere was amazing and they had MUSIC - something my last meet didn't have. People were significantly more lively and there was a lot more energy in the room which you could feel. There was only 1 other person in my weight class, but I think he was disqualified during squats.

If I didn't let my ego get in the way, I could have added an extra 2.5kg on my bench press. Also, I probably should have said something that the bar seemed a bit too wet before my 2nd deadlift attempt. However, shit happens, and these are the things that you learn during competition, and clearly, I still have a lot to learn

Programming

The program that I followed over the past ~ 7 weeks was mainly based off of ideas from Manveer & Dwayne. Basically, the way I should set up my training schedule, and how I should set up my programming. Outside of some top sets in which I overshot RPE, I tried to keep all of my other volume work to RPE 7 - 8. There were 1 or 2 sets that went to 9, but I tried my best to keep it to the RPE 7-8 range.

Furthermore, I liked Dwayne's idea of programming lower rep ranges, at slightly higher intensities, and lower RPE. I did this for comp squat, paused squat, comp bench, SS bench, 2 count bench. My deadlift was trained via singles (an idea that Hanley gave me a long while ago). I still incorporated some higher rep work via TnG bench, and some of my dumbbell work.

In conclusion, whatever it is that I did seemed to work decently well for me over the past 7 weeks.

Final Thoughts

At the moment, I don't think I'll compete in another meet for the remainder of 2017. Mainly because a summer meet won't work well due to other activities & possible travel, and the Fall / early Winter may not work out either. Perhaps I'll look to compete in early 2018, but we'll see. As for my next goals, I'm not sure. I would like to achieve a 1,000lbs total while under 140lbs. Also, my 34th birthday is in mid-July and I've thought about working on getting shredded for it, because why not? But I don't know if I'll follow through with that because I'm really happy with my physique at the moment and don't know if it's worth it to me to chase that look.

I think that's all for now... I hope that whatever I wrote was coherent enough given how exhausted I am. Thanks again to all of you for your help, support, and encouragement in my training.

I hope everyone has a wonderful night!

Cheers!

Very coherent - thanks for the write up Mahendra. Really glad to hear it went so well and you learned some stuff from it as well as made some gainzZz! Congrats mate

starting strength coach development program
    YEEEEAH. Congrats man! Your wilks is keeping me on my toes for real.

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast