starting strength gym
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahendra's log of GainzZz

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've found that "feeling recovered" on bench isn't necessarily indicative that I'm ready for the next set. Running a timer seems to keep me honest.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    lol, for me everything over about 70% on deads is a 9 or 10!

I guess it just takes time and practice to figure that RPE stuff out, even for deads. You'll get there.
    Haha I know the feeling! Sometimes my warmups feel heavier than my actual work sets with deadlifts. Also, deadlifting the day after squats doesn't help either. In time I'm sure I'll be able to better judge RPE

Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I've found that "feeling recovered" on bench isn't necessarily indicative that I'm ready for the next set. Running a timer seems to keep me honest.
    I agree. I always run a timer, but I've been running a 2 minute timer (I actually rest closer to 3 minutes in total) between sets. Maybe I need to bump that up. Funny, I find that I can get away with a 2 minute timer with squats (sets of 4) just fine, but I guess bench might need some more time as I progress.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Good morning fellow lifters!

June 21st, 2017 - Wednesday

AMBW: 138.4lbs

Cardio

Jog - 5.5 KM / 3.4 Miles - 34:56

Good run, but tough! Especially since I haven't run in ~ 2 weeks, and it was the day after deadlifts. My lungs were fine, but my lower back was fatigued.

June 22nd, 2017 - Thursday

Start: 6:40 A.M.
    End: 8:09 A.M.
    Time: 89 minutes

HB Squat (Unbelted)

210x8 @7.5
    210x8 @9
    195x8 @7.5
    195x8 @7.5

Pin Bench Press (Mid height)

175x4 @7
    175x4 @7
    175x4 @7.5
    175x4 @7.5

Bro Work

Seated Arnold Presses
    Side Raises
    Rear Delt Raises
    Curls4Cody

Instagram

Notes

Good workout this morning. Felt a bit unmotivated going into it, but I was okay.

Squat - I'm trying to focus on using my quads more in the HB squat and not use my hips to help me up. This is hard. My quads are awfully weak it seems. Although I wasn't able to add an extra set at 210lbs, I was able to add 5lbs to the 2 backoff sets (190 --> 195). I think I might deload to 200lbs and go for 4 sets across. Or, I might copy GTL and try a 20 rep squat on this day, and eliminate front squats on Fridays.

Pin Bench Press - First time doing these and they were interesting. I think I did them OK, but I'm not 100% sure. My goal with this supplemental exercise is to strengthen the mid to upper range of my bench. I believe that is a weak spot for my bench as I've failed a lot of bench at that point. I'll try these for 3 weeks and then move on to 2 count bench on this day.

Everything else - Good. Added in some MOAR curls today because I'm trying to get 20" arms before Cody does.

I think that's all for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

June 23rd, 2017 - Friday

AMBW: 138.0lbs
    Start: 6:43 A.M.
    End: 8:32 A.M.
    Time: 109 minutes

Front Squat (Unbelted)

195x3 @7
    195x3 @7
    195x3 @7
    195x3 @7.5
    195x3 @7.5

2 Count Paused Deadlift (Unbelted)

280x3 @7
    285x3 @7.5
    290x4 @8

SG RDLs

195x8 @6
    195x8 @7
    195x8 @7.5

Dumbbell Bench (FU)

70lbs: 8, 7

Dumbbell Incline Bench

50lbs: 10, 8

Bro Work

Dumbbell Seal Rows
    Chin Ups
    Dragon Flags
    Dumbbell Curls

Instagram

Notes

Overall, a good workout this morning. Funny how motivation works, as I wasn't motivated yesterday, but I was motivated this morning. LoL...

Front Squats - These went well. I try my best to focus on using my quads and not use any hip drive, but it happens for a rep or 2 here and there.

Paused Deadlifts - These went better than last week. I think they are helping me fix my roundy back issues though...

SG RDLs - Sets of 8 after paused deadlifts = exhausted back & glutes. Good though.

Everything else - Good.

My 7 day average weight has slowly been climbing, which is good. After averaging about 137.5lbs for the past ~7 weeks, it looks like I've finally bumped up over 138lbs (7 day average wise) which is good. I'll probably keep it slow and steady at least until the end of the summer before I do a slightly more aggressive bulk.

Although Friday sessions are taking longer than expected, I'd prefer to not have to do any accessory work on Saturday's. But to save a few more minutes, I might consider moving chin ups over to Saturdays.

I think that's all for now. I do hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!

Cheers!

June 24th, 2017 - Saturday

Waist: 29"
    BF % (Navy): 12.3%

Cardio

Run - 5.5KM / 3.4 Miles - 34:46

Good run, but my hips were exhausted afterwards.

June 26th, 2017 - Monday

AMBW: 140.6lbs --> highest I've been since November 28th
    Start: 6:35 A.M.
    End: 8:21 A.M.
    Time: 106 minutes

Comp Squat

280x1 @6 - 0.41 m/s
    300x1 @8 - 0.30 m/s
    315x1 @8.5 - 0.22 m/s

257.5x4 @7
    257.5x4 @7.5
    257.5x4 @7.5
    257.5x4 @8

e1RM ~ 335lbs

Comp Bench Press

190x1 @6 - 0.29 m/s
    205x1 @7.5 - 0.23 m/s
    215x1 @9 - 0.16 m/s

175x4 @7
    175x4 @7
    175x4 @7
    175x4 @7.5

e1RM ~ 224lbs

Strict Press

95x8x3

Instagram

Notes

An OK workout, but it was frustrating. That being said, it probably wasn't as bad as I initially thought this morning. I think it didn't go as well as I'd like due to a few transient factors such as running on Saturday, and then not getting enough sleep last night. I'm still tired.

Squat - This is the 2nd week in a row that the bar rolled up my back on my top set. Funny, this didn't really happen in the past. Manveer suggested that I try keeping my elbows down a bit, which I did on a backoff set and it seemed to help. I will try that next week on my top sets as well.

I also think that 1 hour less of sleep last night had an impact on training because my volume sets were harder than usual. I'm going to retry everything the same next week, and if I'm still stuck, I will re-visit programming and exercise selection. A part of me thinks that Friday's workout is a bit too much - Paused Deadlifts, RDL's & Front Squats. I think I may drop some volume across all 3 exercises.

Bench - By the time bench rolled around, I was tired. I knew my top set wouldn't move as well as I'd like, and my e1RM probably dropped a bit because of it. Backoff sets flew, but I didn't add another set yet. I wonder if I should switch to 2 count paused bench rather than pin press on Thursday. My reasoning is because I just came out of a 3-week cycle of slingshot bench, and perhaps there might be too much fatigue built up. But who knows.

Press - Switched to sets of 8 for this rather than heavier sets of 4. No particular reason.

Again, I shouldn't beat myself up over this too much. I have a long off season, and this is the perfect time to experiment with a few things (I.e. high bar squats & front squats to help drive my comp squat). Furthermore, the reason I didn't get to sleep as much last night was due to a social event. I mean, I can't always run home earlier to sleep because I need to wake up to squat. I gotta enjoy life sometimes... haha :P

I think that's all for now! I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Furthermore, the reason I didn't get to sleep as much last night was due to a social event. I mean, I can't always run home earlier to sleep because I need to wake up to squat. I gotta enjoy life sometimes... haha :P
    Unacceptable!

heh, we had company over and they ended up staying until 10:30, didn't go to bed until 11:15... stealing my gainzZz

In this log: OP runs 5k and says hips are beat up. Next day squats and says squats were hard.

Also, you'll need to put on some weight if you're challenging me to an arms race

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Unacceptable!

heh, we had company over and they ended up staying until 10:30, didn't go to bed until 11:15... stealing my gainzZz
    Haha squats should be my only enjoyment! Same here - slept at ~11, woke up at 5 A.M. Ughhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    In this log: OP runs 5k and says hips are beat up. Next day squats and says squats were hard.
    LOL!!! Cody is calling me out. Technicallyyyyy speaking, I ran on Saturday and lazed around on Sunday But naturally, that negatively impacted my squat.

Also, you'll need to put on some weight if you're challenging me to an arms race
    Haha I'm trying! Need that 300lbs bench and 20" arms. Hanley says I can do it in 4 months, Manveer says 6, KOTJ says 3 years. Hmmm.

Well, I also said to bulk to 200kg. That will take care of your 20" arms too.

"A real man weighs at least 200kg. He just does."
    -Mack Ripperton

Race to 200kg bodyweight?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    Race to 200kg bodyweight?
    Race to diabeetus

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast