Thread: A Kitten's Road to Redemption

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks guys! :-)

Good to have you back!

Yusssssssssssss

:-)

5/23 * I got pretty gassed for this workout. Normally I work out after 4PM, and I have had a lot of carbs at lunch and pre-workout. Today I worked out earlier, so I had some carbs, but my breakfast isn't as hearty as my lunch. I still beat last week, but I really felt it in my assistance work.

Snatch Grip Deadlift- 440x8 RPE 8, 400x8x2 (last set was RPE 9 and I took 4 min between these sets), went for one more set 400x6 RPE 9.5 (waited 5 mins too, but I was still really just gassed out).

Barbell Rows- 185x12x3

Pulldowns- 212.5x10, 8, 10

Machine Curls- 90x12x2, 10

What grip width so you use? Are you strapping up? I've never really done SGDL for long periods of time so I'm curious what you think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    What grip width so you use? Are you strapping up? I've never really done SGDL for long periods of time so I'm curious what you think of them.
    My hands are about a half finger width outside the power rings, so I am not all the way out at the end of the bar. I use the figure 8 lifting straps for my main set and drop sets. My last two warm up sets are actually singles (so today 380 and 410) so I just use a double overhand grip for those and the lower sets.

I don't think I ever went this heavy with them before. Thinking back to when I was starting to peak, I hit 570x6 at an RPE 8 for normal deads and then did 4 drop sets for SGDL with something like 365-375. So my drop sets in the past were always way lighter than my main set. Now we are doing this in blocks, so my top set is SGDL and my drop sets are around 10% lower right now. I felt like when I was doing these in the past, albeit much lighter and only as drop sets, that they did help me out a lot. They strengthened my back up quite a bit. I also felt the deadlift stance box squats were great too. The only issue I would get is an SI joint flare up from time to time, which I could remedy by seeing the chiropractor. But if I didn't get there for some reason, I would be FUBAR for squatting later in the week. Now I am trying a wider stance and that seems to help the lower back. I don't feel as powerful though. Even on my normal deadlifts, I feel weaker pulling with a wider stance (shins just inside the knurling), even though my back in more vertical. So far so good, so I think the wider stance did the trick for the SI joint. Now I just need to decide if I should go with the wider stance for normal pulls (like a lot of strongmen do) and give it a fair shot, or should I go back to the closer stance?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Great to see you back, Les!

I'm not as strong as you are, but I know all too much about the nagging injuries and those feels.

I saw you're at 335. That's a pretty decent drop in weight right? Be awesome to see a 6'5" 335 12% BF kitten cuddler!
    Thanks! :-)

Sometimes I didn't even have to use a lot of weight to get these overuse injuries. My problem areas now are the shoulders and my left hip. Wide stance squatting really aggravates my hip, so doing closer stance work helps with that. I also have no pain while floor pressing. After a couple weeks (sometimes longer) of benching, I usually get some kind of shoulder irritation that prevents me from continuing with the program I a running. Rotating the lifts should help with that I think.

The only question I have, and really it is more from a performance standpoint, is how the work I am doing now will transfer to my competition lifts. Some say specificity is king, while others rotate their exercises all the time. This seems like a healthy blend for me. In the past I could always touch and go bench more than I could floor press. If that continues to hold true, I will be happy.

Yes, I did lose quite a bit of weight. At my last meet I ate myself up to 392 or so. After the meet I dropped down to about 375 to 380, and that is where I was making some really great gains on the last program I did before I took some time off. Now I will probably stay more around the 330 to 345 range (only going to 345 or so come meet time). Ideally I can strip off some more fat while continuing to gain muscle (slow body recomposition). I still am way off the ab range, but I can fit in normal pants at the mall (no more big and tall). My legs are still big (32" around the thighs), so I have to get the wider cut pants. :-)

*current locker room photo (or is that a cabinet?)
    Last edited by Les Hahn; 05-24-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Excellent to see you back, Dr. Kittenz.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Excellent to see you back, Dr. Kittenz.
    Thanks! :-)

5/25

Overhead Press- 185x8 RPE 9, 160x8x4 (4 mins between each set) last set RPE 9.25 *I started getting a little gassed at the end, but overall it went pretty well. My top set was supposed to be 5# less, but I was feeling pretty good during my warm up and made a minor change. Soon I will be back over 2 plates again... but my best set of 8 was at 240, so I have a while till I get there again.

Dips: BW-65# x10x3

DB Rear Delt Raises: 140x12x3

Tricep Extensions (overhead, with bar): 170x20x3

starting strength coach development program
    5/26

High Bar Close Stance Squat: 390x8 RPE 8-8.5, 350x8x3 (4 min breaks between sets), last set RPE 9ish. I was getting gassed again at the end, but I could of maybe did 1 more set of 8's. I was getting pretty smoked though, so I called it at 3 drop sets. But I do feel I am building some work capacity up compared to the last few weeks. I am curious to see how this will transfer over to low bar squats with the wider stance and bigger belt. I am going to go no wraps for a while though and see what happens.

Leg Press: 260x10x3

Leg Curls: 150x10x3

Abs: 175x10x3 *My legs were dead by the end of this giant set. I am glad I called it at 3 drop sets. :-)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast