starting strength gym
Page 2253 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1253175321532203224322512252225322542255226323032353 ... LastLast
Results 22,521 to 22,530 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dropping weights and is necessary for Olympic lifts

There are two guys at my gym who sumo deadlift and always drop the bar from the waist -mid 400s with a mix of rubber coated and iron plates. The floors do have stall mats, but still, no need to just drop the bar unless you are doing heavy C&Js or snatches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toonttm View Post
    I find it really fucking annoying when people dump weights. I understand in some cases you need to, but I remember these 2 dumb fucks dropping 50lb dumbells from the bench...(yes, they were benching 100lb all-up) what a fucking pain in the arse for everyone else.
    According to the story, NO WEIGHTS WERE DROPPED. They are complaining about setting it down too loudly. Dropping the weights for no reason is douchebaggy and can potentially damage the equipment. It is a legitimate complaint. Yelling about someone being too loud when they are deadlifting because their eccentric speed doesn't meet your standard and assaults your virgin ears is a primadonna level combination of entitlement and whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    According to the story, NO WEIGHTS WERE DROPPED. They are complaining about setting it down too loudly. Dropping the weights for no reason is douchebaggy and can potentially damage the equipment. It is a legitimate complaint. Yelling about someone being too loud when they are deadlifting because their eccentric speed doesn't meet your standard and assaults your virgin ears is a primadonna level combination of entitlement and whining.
    The only reason I didn't say she dropped the weights is because she didn't let go of the bar. Constant contact does not legitimise a poorly controlled eccentric, of which noise is a byproduct. I would say the amount of noise produced should correlate to the lifter relative to the weight lifted. Close to limit attempts are understandably going to produce more noise. Weights should not be slammed back down on easy sets of 10, in between chatting with a buddy.

Another day had a guy literally dropping 135lbs from hip height. He was a douche.

Also, I DIDN'T YELL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirimiti View Post
    I would say the amount of noise produced should correlate to the lifter relative to the weight lifted.
    This is exactly where I disagree. The amount of noise should include anything that is not damaging to the equipment. The gym is not a library. There is no right to not hear noises you perceive as loud as a result of other people training. If the lord/lady wants to lift with a rounded back in the frightened cat position then lower the weight quickly, loudly, and under control to the floor. That's their business.

Have you actually read the book that gives this forum its name? Maybe you'd feel more comfortable exercising at that gym where everything is purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    This is exactly where I disagree. The amount of noise should include anything that is not damaging to the equipment. The gym is not a library. There is no right to not hear noises you perceive as loud as a result of other people training. If the lord/lady wants to lift with a rounded back in the frightened cat position then lower the weight quickly, loudly, and under control to the floor. That's their business.
    Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Have you actually read the book that gives this forum its name? Maybe you'd feel more comfortable exercising at that gym where everything is purple.
    We may have different ideas of "under control".

Not sure what your point is. Yes, Starting Strength = get stronger. Noise will be made. And? Control must also be maintained.

My initial post may have been misleading regarding noise. I was more baffled at the lack of control. A point which I tried to clear up above, but seems to have completely escaped you. I am just using noise as an indicator of lack of control when using light weights.

Not sure what your point is. Yes, Starting Strength = get stronger. Noise will be made. And? Control must also be maintained.

My initial post may have been misleading regarding noise. I was more baffled at the lack of control. A point which I tried to clear up above, but seems to have completely escaped you. I am just using noise as an indicator of lack of control when using light weights.
    Why is it necessary to control the eccentric of a deadlift?

If your hands stay on the bar, and your feet don't move, then you are maintaining control of bar. There is no concern that it is going to roll into other people. Control is not a decibel rating of the impact between the plate and the floor. If you want to do quiet deadlifts for personal reasons, I'm not going to interfere with you. Don't be that douchebag talking to me after I just finished a PR set of 5 asking me to "keep it down" because somehow my deadlifting noise interferes with their planks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Why is it necessary to control the eccentric of a deadlift?
    Are we supposed to essentially drop the bar but just follow it down with the hands? I understood the eccentric portion to still require a small measure of control,.
    This is a legitimate question now because I was led to believe you don't just release and drop down once done pulling.