starting strength gym
Page 2321 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 1321182122212271231123192320232123222323233123712421 ... LastLast
Results 23,201 to 23,210 of 24218

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anyone else get sad when they see the really earnest 1/4 squatter? It's not even funny when they don't know how wrong they are.

Yesterday, I saw a young lady who looked to be all business. She worse loose shorts,chalk on the back of her t-shirt,she even had lifting shoes...and then she did sets of weighted shallow knee bends. It was like seeing someone with their fly open, awkward for both of us.

Even the "big" guys can be entertaining....

Saw a bro, complete with spotter bro, load up 315 for squats. Not a lot, but at my anemic gym it's noteworthy. He unracked and... WTF?! What's higher than a quarter-squat? An 1/8 squat? His knee broke maybe 15 degrees. Is there such a thing as squat lockouts?

Another big guy walks proudly to the one bench station that was free, just as I was about to use it. No problem, a lot of guys just do a set or two and bail. So this guy puts his gym bag on the bench and walks away to make his pre-workout. He come back and loads up the barbell with two 10s and starts doing curls in the bench rack. With 65 lbs. Then he adds 5lbs for another set, and keeps going this way, until he's done about 8 sets. 40 minutes later he's still pumping up those biceps. Of course, there were two open racks plus a preacher station he's ignoring. Guess he likes the feeling of straddling a bench?

My new gym isn't a crossfit gym but many of the regulars and personal training clients do a lot of crossfit-type workouts. I'm not really dogmatic about how people train, but it bothers me when I see two clients come in back to back, and the trainer puts them through the exact same workout, despite being vastly different people from different demographics. I don't think most mid 50s women need to be doing the same agility drills that the high school athletes were doing. I think it's both unimaginative and unproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Unconventional strongman strength Instagram
    You've heard of a Turkish get up, this is a Scottish get down.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Not only that, but Bud is friendly in comments and will follow accounts (and not unfollow like so many instatards). He's "liked" some of my posts and commented on them.

Basically a good dude.
    Ok, but the shit is till funny.

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    Is there such a thing as squat lockouts?
    Yes. I don't think they're particularly useful, but they are a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Are they a thing with 3 plates? I mean, if you are walking out 800lbs, sure, but 315?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    Are they a thing with 3 plates? I mean, if you are walking out 800lbs, sure, but 315?
    I agree. There are a couple of 135-145 lbs guys who front squat 315 at my gym. I can't imagine the benefits of a squat lockout with 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    If your max is 280, then:

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    My new gym isn't a crossfit gym but many of the regulars and personal training clients do a lot of crossfit-type workouts. I'm not really dogmatic about how people train, but it bothers me when I see two clients come in back to back, and the trainer puts them through the exact same workout, despite being vastly different people from different demographics. I don't think most mid 50s women need to be doing the same agility drills that the high school athletes were doing. I think it's both unimaginative and unproductive.
    I mostly try to avert my eyes from the dangerous and foolish things that the trainers are doing in my gym. I feel like I am watching someone playing 3 card montey, knowing that they are getting ripped off right out in public.